Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 18:09   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Usefulness of Wind Instruments

Not on topic but I installed a combination speed/depth but have found the log to be almost totally useless as it fouls within days of being cleaned/antifouled.

If you can install so that it can be pulled out for cleaning while the boat's in the water that may be OK. Maybe a custom tube installation?

Otherwise I'd go for one of those data only GPS (Furuno, generic?) units and forget the log.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:16   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Not on topic but I installed a combination speed/depth but have found the log to be almost totally useless as it fouls within days of being cleaned/antifouled.
Agree 100%. Use the GPS.
Old 23-01-2012, 18:21   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

This may have been mentioned already, but wind speeds can vary quite a bit between top-of-mast and cockpit level. Having a masthead windy gives you that info, and allows for better sail adjustments. As we all know, wind speed (and even direction) can be quite different 50' up, especially in winds less than ~15 knots. This affects sail trim, so the info is useful.

That being said, you can get the same info by watching your sails, and observing. Telltales (anything from yarn in the rigging to pipe smoke) win hands-down in a cost-benefit analysis. If (and when) our windy dies, I won't be rushing to replace it.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:33   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

If you can install so that it can be pulled out for cleaning while the boat's in the water that may be OK. Maybe a custom tube installation?
We pop ours in when we're getting the boat ready to sail, and pop it back out once we've returned to the slip. It's no more difficult than taking the windshield covers off the dodger.
Old 23-01-2012, 19:06   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

Otherwise I'd go for one of those data only GPS (Furuno, generic?) units and forget the log.
A lot of the transducer through hulls have spring loaded valves in them that shut off the water flow when the transducer is pulled out. Both of ours are like that. I just pull them out if we are going to be staying still for a while and put them back in when we leave again.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 20:56   #21

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Well, I feel that anenometers are nerdy, like a big chartplotter mounted at the helm-- equivalent to a landlubber's "home theater", one of those ginormous flat screen TVs with 12 speakers of surround sound.

So they are fun, but not important or essential. So I feel that new people should be aware that there are other styles, other grooves they may settle into when they project themselves onto a life at sea, and that one of them is one that emphasizes the analog and organic nature to sailing, with a pirate ship aesthetic. One where you learn the feel the wind in your bare feet as the boat heels, watch it play across the surface of the water, and know it's a gale when it starts whistling in the rigging. Instead of reading numbers on a dial.

Oh, and of course with the pirate ship vibe you'll probably have no clue of what the wind number is and won't be able to tell a good weather story.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 21:54   #22

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Set the alarm on wind speed to wake you up if it looks dodgy for your anchorage.
Good back up to position alarm. Can't do without wind info.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 03:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This may have been mentioned already, but wind speeds can vary quite a bit between top-of-mast and cockpit level. Having a masthead windy gives you that info, and allows for better sail adjustments. As we all know, wind speed (and even direction) can be quite different 50' up, especially in winds less than ~15 knots. This affects sail trim, so the info is useful.

That being said, you can get the same info by watching your sails, and observing. Telltales (anything from yarn in the rigging to pipe smoke) win hands-down in a cost-benefit analysis. If (and when) our windy dies, I won't be rushing to replace it.
I agree it nice to have a unit at the top of the mast but,I got tired of getting my masthead unit repaired every few years. So I've not used one for the past few years. Really don't miss it except for curiosity of how much it is really blowing compared to my guesstimate. I will probably mount another cheap $50 wireless system on my radar arch at some point. I know it won't be as accurate as a mast top unit but, should find it useful to monitor the deck level winds while at anchor in the cabin.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:44   #24

Had one, it broke and we never replaced it. Don't miss it, and certainly don't plan on getting a new one.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 04:49   #25

Boat: Hunter 430

Ditto on the knotmeter. I always seem to have to recalibrate it depending on the amont of gunk on the wheel, and just a little affects it in a big way. Not worth it.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:58   #26

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Agreed, fragile bit of kit.
Next one will be ultrasonic, if they keep improving.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:17   #27

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Wind instruments, while invaluable to the competitive sailor, probably don't fall into the must have category for the cruiser. One exception might be what was already pointed out in an earlier response, if it can be integrated to your autopilot to steer to a set wind point you may want to consider it. It is interesting to be able to tell yarns about how hard the blow was, but for that a hand-held anemometer is a better value.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:43   #28

Had one, it broke....
Strangely my sailing has improved hugely since the breakage. I sail according to the wind on my face and the conditions around me...

When I had a visual display of wind speed I became very nervous as soon as it showed over 25k, now I don't know so I worry far less!

Will not be replacing it.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:25   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser
Wind instruments, while invaluable to the competitive sailor, probably don't fall into the must have category for the cruiser. One exception might be what was already pointed out in an earlier response, if it can be integrated to your autopilot to steer to a set wind point you may want to consider it. It is interesting to be able to tell yarns about how hard the blow was, but for that a hand-held anemometer is a better value.
A friend just redid all his instrumentation - race boat. All his gear is integrated. His plotter records everything on a timeline. With waypoints set he gets wind, boat speed, ground speed, vmg, true and apparent wind speeds. All downloadable and graphed. He can see his tacking angles, speed gatting out of a tack and so on. Great for analyzing performance.

So yes. Good for racers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:37   #30

Boat: C&C 34

They are good if you dont like looking up all the time
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote