Originally Posted by colemj
No-OX-ID is electrically conductive and made for this type of connector.
Actually, even though the manufacturer says N0-Ox-Id is a "conductive" grease, it's not really conductive
. It's a grease/wax/solvent, and apparently has great anti-corrosion properties, but if you measure the conductivity of a blob of this stuff with an ohmmeter it will read as an open circuit. It contains no conductive material.
But this isn't a problem. The grease surface is penetrated by the metal of the connectors and a good electrical contact is made. The grease protects the metal from corrosion. From the reports I've read No-Ox-Id works really well. I just wish they wouldn't call it "conductive".
Actually, I wouldn't want to use truly conductive grease on closely-spaced connectors. I've used silver-filled grease before, and it would probably short out (for example) a USB connector.
I could be wrong about No-Ox-Id. While there are some truly conductive greases, or greases with suspended metal or graphite particles, I don't think that No-Ox-Id is one of these. But as I google
deeper into it, I'm finding lots of confusion and not much technical detail. Anyway, it should do the job. I also agree with just replacing the corroded USB cables
. Replacing the computer / modem
USB connector is tougher though, so some corrosion protection wouldn't hurt.