Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-12-2011, 18:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
re: USB Radar for Notebook PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Currently, the only way to do it is to use nobletec or a Furuno navnet system.
There are actually a few more than that. Ones that I know of:

Maxsea and Nobeltec via Furuno hardware. You have to have a Furuno MFD or black box in the network.

Raytech RNS via Raymarine hardware. Again I think you have to have at least one Raymarine MFD in the network.

Expedition via Koden antennas, and possibly Simrad broadband antennas.

RosePoint Coastal Explorer via their own brand hardware, which is Koden antennas.

Older Nobeltec via their own brand hardware, which is Koden antennas.

PC WindPilot via Koden antennas.

Koden's own RadarPC using their antennas.

I have not seen any PC software that provides display of Garmin or Simrad radars, although as mentioned above there was talk at one point of Expedition supporting Simrad radars.

Old 13-12-2011, 18:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I want a radar with a stand-alone display that can ALSO convey that display to a PC-based chartplotter, either as an overlay or as a side by side dual display.

It is sometimes difficult to get manufacturers to confirm this, because they usually sell multi-function displays as well as standalone radar displays, and would really prefer to sell the cruiser both at a fat profit.
If you already have a Raymarine system they do make that. It's called RayTech RNS 6. Raymarine Marine Electronics - RayTech RNS v6.2 (Full Version) and I have a used setup if you are interested. It sells new for $699 I'll sell it for $300. PM me.

As for the OP who is interested in USB radar, yes you can buy that from RosePoint Navigation Software, or from Jeppeson (RadarPC). These do not use USB from the scanner, they use either Ethernet or RS-422 then use a converter box near the nav station to provide a USB interface to the PC. I used to own a RadarPC setup and I don't think it's ideal, just because when you really want radar the conditions might be damp, and I think it's good to have the primary radar station in the cockpit.

Old 13-12-2011, 18:55   #18

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

[QUOTE=S

If I used to own a RadarPC setup and I don't think it's ideal, just because when you really want radar the conditions might be damp, and I think it's good to have the primary radar station in the cockpit.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't that be accomplished using the serial adapter to a separate more appropriate monitor @ the helm?
Old 13-12-2011, 20:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Couldn't that be accomplished using the serial adapter to a separate more appropriate monitor @ the helm?
No. A serial adapter to a monitor will not render the radar. The only way to get a second display would be through the use of Windows RDS or some sort of remote-desktop screen sharing software over peer wireless network, which needs at least a tablet (e.g. ipad or Droid tablet) or Windows Mobile device.
Old 13-12-2011, 23:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sorry explain the NMEA thing to me , ?

Ps yiu can't do it with Furuno, unless you use their proprietary software. ( ps raymarines ray tech software also does radar)

Dave
Yes, I was talking about their dedicated software.

To track like I was mentioning, you need a stand alone radar capable of MARPA.

I think all of them will also do nmea 0183 which is a standard serial communication for marine devices. Some might do nmea 2000 as well which is a easier install. These are kind of complicated systems but basically every gps and MFD and decent chartplotter program will understand nmea.

So you do a radar to what's called a nmea multiplexer with USB or Bluetooth to a computer.

if you google marpa radar, nmea 0183, and nmea multiplexor that should be enough reading to keep you busy for a bit :-)
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23   #21

It would seem that the best way to get an open source radar (short of engineering from one from scratch) would be to first determine an "open radar display and control protocol" , then develop either code or reprogrammable black boxes that convert the proprietary protocol to the open protocol. This would open the way for software developers to freely implement radar. It sounds like most already know how, it's just the licensing and multiple protocols holding them back.

I would also think that after the first few radar hacks, the radar code converting gurus would get very good at it and would already have all the necessary test equipment to analyze new protocols and rapidly put out new conversion code. The radar manufacturers would eventually give up evolving new protocols and agree to a standard.

Has anyone heard of a community doing this? This is an issue whose time has come. Some great work has been done by individuals for individual programs. Now is the time to put together a community that can get all ethernet radars speaking a common language.

Just look at the rapid progress and innovation since open protocols like NMEA 2000 and AIS have finally taken hold with most manufacturers. An open radar protocol is the last big obstacle to true competition in the marine navigation field.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39   #22

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II

Check out the OpenCPN Garmin radar program on another thread. I've recently finished another plugin for the Simrad/Navico/Lowrance broadband radar (low power) which also uses that program. Both radars use ethernet interfaces which are pretty standard on laptops. The BR24 radar is hug-safe meaning it has no more RF risk than a cell phone and so could be portable. I've carried mine down to the boat and strapped it to the cabin top for test purposes. (It'll get mounted aloft soon.)

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 22:24   #23

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Mix the BR-24 on a laptop with a tablet in a waterproof case running a VNC client, and thats a pretty decent solution.
Old 13-01-2013, 17:16   #24
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowelld View Post
Check out the OpenCPN Garmin radar program on another thread. I've recently finished another plugin for the Simrad/Navico/Lowrance broadband radar (low power) which also uses that program. Both radars use ethernet interfaces which are pretty standard on laptops. The BR24 radar is hug-safe meaning it has no more RF risk than a cell phone and so could be portable. I've carried mine down to the boat and strapped it to the cabin top for test purposes. (It'll get mounted aloft soon.)

Dave
Sounds like a great idea. I really like the idea of an opencpn interace. Hug safe is good too.

Do you have any screen shots? Do you have full range and gain control?

Thanks
Old 14-01-2013, 01:22   #25

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II

I'm still developing the package but yes it has complete range, gain, clutter and rejection control. I haven't any recent pics for it though. Maybe this next weekend.
Old 14-01-2013, 01:45   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If you already have a Raymarine system they do make that. It's called RayTech RNS 6. Raymarine Marine Electronics - RayTech RNS v6.2 (Full Version) and I have a used setup if you are interested. It sells new for $699 I'll sell it for $300. PM me.

As for the OP who is interested in USB radar, yes you can buy that from RosePoint Navigation Software, or from Jeppeson (RadarPC). These do not use USB from the scanner, they use either Ethernet or RS-422 then use a converter box near the nav station to provide a USB interface to the PC. I used to own a RadarPC setup and I don't think it's ideal, just because when you really want radar the conditions might be damp, and I think it's good to have the primary radar station in the cockpit.
Earlier versions of RNS also do that. Raymarine have been this for more than a decade, AFAIK. They sell a connector and interface box which puts their HSB2 data into your PC. So the RL series MFD's, at least the later ones, will do this.

Simrad/Navico now sell a WiFi interface called GoFree which allows you to not only view radar data but control your radar (and plotter) from an IPad.

I believe the last generation of Ray touch screen MFD's do the same thing -- with the WiFi built in, even.

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: