Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
Urgent: Problems with ST6002 Autopilot

When I press the "Auto" key on the pilot, it ignitional engages, then an alarm of "MOT STALL" appears. What does this mean?
I am on my way to Panama and stopped in Jamaica to fix the problem. So far I was not able to get in touch with Raymarine.
Can anybody help?
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
When I was in Panama, I had some Raymarine autoiolet issues and was able to locate a self employed tech, on the Caribbean side who was able to solve the problem.

That was 10 years ago but maybe SV JEDI can suggest a resource as all sizes of boats transiting the canal have autopiolit issues.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I thought that “MOT STALL” might indicate that the autopilot is unable to turn the rudder, but evidently that would be indicated by “DRIVESTOP”.
Still ...

Raymarine ManualsRaymarine Marine Electronics - Owner's Manuals

ST6000 Manuals

Here ➥ http://www.raymarine.com/SubmittedFi...lot/ST6000.pdf

And ➥ http://www.raymarine.com/SubmittedFi...st6000plus.pdf

Good Luck !

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKokomo View Post
When I press the "Auto" key on the pilot, it ignitional engages, then an alarm of "MOT STALL" appears. What does this mean?
I am on my way to Panama and stopped in Jamaica to fix the problem. So far I was not able to get in touch with Raymarine.
Can anybody help?
MOT STALL will mean motor stalled
My ST 6002 lists slightly different errors, but the first step is to look at the drive quadrant.
Has the rudder position sensor control arm jumped out?
Has something jammed the drive?

I assume you can steer without the autopilot normally?. Some photos of the drive unit and rudder sensor would help as well as the type of drive.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:30   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Drivestop on my unit meant that the drive unit could not move the liner drive for some reason.

MOT STALL sounds like the motot is not functioning correctly. Either a circuit is failing or the brushes/motor are at fault.

Whenever I had something fail for an unknowen reason, the first thing I learned to do is say to myself was "Ok, was there anything that I did that may be related to this problem?" Once my autopiolet stopped working because I rearanged the things in the cabnet that I had the autopiolt computer in and a wire became disconnected.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:42   #6

CHeck the main power going to the controller, then check to see if the small wires behind the cover are all connected. Check the NMEA connections as well.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 18:57   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Well, I wouldn't want to sail from Jamaica to Panama hand steering so I would suggest fixing it in Jamaica. Like others write, do the troubleshooting yourself or find & hire someone (another cruiser or local company) if you can't.

If your drive isn't hydraulic you might have a spare one aboard? They fail often enough to have one so may be just FedEx one in and have the other one repaired later to keep as a spare.

Noelex had some good advise: check the rudder position sensor (mechanically plus wiring). If you turn the wheel by hand with the AP on stand-by, does the rudder position update correctly?
Next is the drive itself: nothing blocking it? power feeds in place (measure with multimeter) etc. If the AP gives voltage but drive doesn't move, detach it from the quadrant and try again. Still not moving means motor burned or gear broken (any sounds when trying it?) etc. So much to try.

We'll be in Shelter Bay/Colon for a bit more but are making ready to leave in a couple of weeks.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:08   #8

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
MOT for sure refers to the motor drive unit of the auto pilot, best I could come up with. Is it possible to disconnect it from the steering to see if it will move with out load on it?

edit: also check, maybe a sensor went bad
the rudder position sensor has passed
beyond the preset rudder limits or rudder end-stops).
Check drive and rudder position sensor.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:16   #9

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
My autohelm was doing the same thing and
I had the wires to the motor reversed, but connected with the right colour
code as per instructions, when I reversed the wires the motor was able to drive the wheel properly and no more motor stall!!
It is the result of the motor trying to turn the helm but being unable to as helm is fully over already or it is jammed!
Hope this helps?
Keith.
Old 04-04-2010, 19:52   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Surfmachine: what you had is one possible cause but it's not what the OP has... at least I don't assume he switched wires while under way ;-)

When the rudder position sensor is dead or loose or whatever, the AP think's it isn't moving the rudder and the same message comes up.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 20:19   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I have had a similar problem in our Raymarine auto pilot, I am not sure if we were getting the same error message but it ended up being that the hydraulic reservoir had a loose fitting on it and was draining out of the bottom. When you brushed your hand all over the reservoir you couldn't feel the leak but sure enough it had drained out all over or lazarette.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11   #12

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
Guys, thank you so much. I think I am moving into the right direction even I do not like what I discover.
I have a Drive Type 2 Hydr. pump and I do not get 12 Volt to the pump. I checked my SPX 30 SmartPilot. I have 13 V coming in but nothing is going out to the Drive motor. All the internal fuses are OK.
The unit was working fine before, but we had 10ft -12ft. following sea when it suddenly stopped working.
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15   #13

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
The unit was working fine before, but we had 10ft -12ft. following sea when it suddenly stopped working.
That must have been fun. Yeah, maybe you just burned out your control head. Let us know if we can do anything to help.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Guys, thank you so much. I think I am moving into the right direction even I do not like what I discover.
I have a Drive Type 2 Hydr. pump and I do not get 12 Volt to the pump. I checked my SPX 30 SmartPilot. I have 13 V coming in but nothing is going out to the Drive motor. All the internal fuses are OK.
Was the voltage out measured with the drive unit disconected or connected?
Try disconecting the rudder sensor and measuring the resistance when turning the wheel.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Check the brushes on the motor. They will get coated with carbon and stop working. Undo the large screws on the back side of the motor, pull out the brushes, blow out the motor with compressed air (in a can from a computer supply store), wipe off the brushes and reinstall.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot