Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 01:23   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Upgrading from Raymarine to B&G

I have decided to finally get rid of my older RM instruments on my sailboat and upgrade to B&G. I intend to replace everything. I have most of my parts list complete except I am having a little difficulty with one item--- the autopilot. I currently have a RM ST6000. The issue is whether or not I will need a new rudder feedback unit to send information to the B&G NAC-3 computer.

So, I am hoping that perhaps somebody here has done this change and could give me some guidance. It looks like the ST6000 rudder feedback will send info through NMEA 0183, which the B&G should be able to read. I would just like some secondary confirmation. Or, if I am better off getting the B&G rudder reference to communicate with the system....

Thank you in advance for any advice.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 22:35   #2

Re: Upgrading from Raymarine to B&G

The ray feedback unit is a 3 wire analog voltage system. Bng uses either a 2 wire system or nmea2000 depending on model.

So you need a new one. Generally the pilot comes with it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:18   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Several years ago I purchased b&g zeus 12 touch with 4g for $2100 with rebates. Great deal for going out of date equip.
B&G asked if we had an autopilot. I told them it was rm wheelpilot 4000 and asked if they had something similar. They advised, no, that I should get a new RM wheelpilot when the time comes, and advised that it would be independent from the B&G ap program in the chartplotter.

I checked their AP offerings and they are excellent but intended for bigger boats with hydraulics etc and more $.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:31   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We would be interested in changing out our crappy Raymarine ST60+ suite to B&G if the cabling is compatible. I really don’t want to pull the mast for a wire change.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Having run boats with Ray, Garmin and B&G, I suggest you spend some SERIOUS time using B&G before buying.

The B&G menus are not intuitive, and changing the info on each mini-MFD screen is difficult. Let’s face it they all do the same basic functions (AP aside). So the big difference is user interface.

If it works for you great, not so much for me.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine