Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Updating the Nav Electronics on my new (Old) Boatl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Does that mean I could use that output for radar overlay on a newer plotter and keep the existing display as a stand alone?

I don't know the answer about your specific radar, but that situation is the same we were encountering: old radar, new plotter. The answer was no, can't get radar overlay to plotter. (But see further below.)

I can get info from network to radar, via the 0183 link. Stuff like heading, speed, water depth, etc.... which isn't particularly relevant to the radar display but gives me another place to look to find useful info depending on what I'm doing at the time.

Never tried getting radar data to plotter via 0183, assuming that our installers were correct and that we couldn't get the overlay to the plotter. Couldn't think of any other usefull info the radar might have, that we might want to display elsewhere.

But... all that reminds me we simply took the installers word for it. You could ask Furuno direct; they've always been good with customer service stuff...

Quote:
What model Furuno plotter do you have or recommend? I tend to agree with you about the buttons versus touch screen.

Ours is NAVNet 3D (on the 12" MFD), so it's very dated by now. Have a look at their latest, which I think is an MFD with combo of touch and buttons. One important detail for us was that the underlying software engine for the NN3D and later products is MaxSea, partly because it really does redraw instantly, and partly because that lets us run the same software on our laptop (boat backup) and home computer (planning). Copy and load tracks, waypoints, routes, etc. from one to another...

-Chris

Old 06-09-2016, 16:58   #17

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I heard from Furuno and as you said the newer plotters won't overlay that radar. Honestly I'm not sure I love the new plotters and I don't like the idea of paying an extra grand just for touch. I'm thinking I might just buy a used (but newer) plotter and learn to live with my existing radar display. There is a 3D MFD 12 (like yours perhaps Chris?) on ebay with a warrantee for $1500, which is about the most I would like to pay right now. Does this sound like a decent approach or is it really that important to get the latest processor, etc.? Down the line I can upgrade the radar to get an overlay if I feel the need.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:29   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I heard from Furuno and as you said the newer plotters won't overlay that radar. Honestly I'm not sure I love the new plotters and I don't like the idea of paying an extra grand just for touch. I'm thinking I might just buy a used (but newer) plotter and learn to live with my existing radar display. There is a 3D MFD 12 (like yours perhaps Chris?) on ebay with a warrantee for $1500, which is about the most I would like to pay right now. Does this sound like a decent approach or is it really that important to get the latest processor, etc.? Down the line I can upgrade the radar to get an overlay if I feel the need.

I tend to bite the bullet upfront, er... eventually ... so I get the benefit of "enjoying" the gizmo for as long as possible.

The eventually part, in our current case, was that I spent a couple years with the original owner's gizmos, knowing that the plotter sucked, but not yet knowing what else I wanted to replace at the same time.

So eventually, IOW after a couple, I went through a whole re-do. Kept the original Furuno radar and DGPS, but went to the new plotter (MFD-12) and it's GPS, replaced the original fishfinder and transducer, added another sounder and tri-ducer, added autopilot... replaced the two mis-matched radios with new (so they both work the same), etc.

An arm and a leg later, I've been working with that stuff for about 9 years now... a much better solution for us than it would have been to pick away at it over time.

That said... your budget is your budget. I wouldn't be worried about buying a warranted MFD-12, assuming reputable seller and warranty provider. (That wouldn't be Furuno direct, right?)

And I've not been at all hampered by having the radar on a separate display; in fact, that's my preference anyway, and even if I'd bought a new over-layable (?) radar, I would still have it displayed on it's own monitor 100% of the time... and maybe overlayed on the plotter only very occasionally.

Changing to an over-layable radar on an MFD-12 later sounds possible, but then you might be getting into life-cycle issues with the MFD-12. There's a point where manufacturers simply stop supporting electronics; I don't know how Furuno does at that... none of our hardware has ever broken, so haven't had to deal with support much. Needed their help with a software glitch one, turned out to be easy fix: instructions on how to deal with a documented bug followed by a software update. Still, I suspect life-cycle possibilities might be a thing to think on for maybe a nano-second or so. Might be that when you're ready to buy a new radar that will overlay, the MFD-12 might not accept it. Or it might. (Or might be cause for a good philosophical question to Furuno.)

The MFD-12 uses an external GPS module (at least ours does) so you'd need that too, if it's not included in the eBay package. I think it's a GP-320B or a GP-330B, something like that.

-Chris
Old 07-09-2016, 05:49   #19

Thanks for another thorough answer. On the other hand, a new Garmin 1020xs is about the same price as the used MFD 12. I'm sure that people are right about Furuno being better for radar but I did have a good experience with my last Garmin setup and it might make sense to go with that and a Garmin dome eventually.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:20   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thanks for another thorough answer. On the other hand, a new Garmin 1020xs is about the same price as the used MFD 12. I'm sure that people are right about Furuno being better for radar but I did have a good experience with my last Garmin setup and it might make sense to go with that and a Garmin dome eventually.
With all due respect, several things about Furuno. They are very robust and reliable; and, when there is a problem, their schematics are available such that a good electronics shop can test them and make repairs (no such luck with Garmin); and, the company supports the gear with replacement parts when needed for far, far, far longer than does Garmin, all of which is why you find their gear on virtually all of the Fishing boats and many commercial boats/ships. Garmin's "service life" seems to be about 5 years from a device's introduction date after which, if you have a problem, they tell you your gear is obsolete and needs replacement. Moreover, they stop supplying charts and chart up-dates for their plotters fairly quickly after ear is declared "obsolete". We have two functional plotters that were very costly when new but can no longer get up-to date charts (later than 2008). And, a third plotter that suffered "black screen death" after 6 years (hence one of the two functional plotters). So, during our next refit (November) all of the Garmin gear is going on the trash heap in favor of Furuno.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:43   #21

Fair enough... it's just hard stomaching $3k for a chartplotter alone versus Garmin. I wish Furuno hadn't discontinued their push button models in favor of only touch screen units.

Does anyone have any experience with the Furuno 1870F for plotting purposes only (I don't need a fishfinder)? Doesn't seem to incorporate radar so it's not really what I'm looking for, but it is in my price range for a plotter.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48   #22

I dread the day when my ancient now, but back then cutting edge hi tech electronics bite the dust and I am forced to replace the whole lot.

The good news it that my sailing is less adventurous and "aggressive" and almost exclusively in well known local waters... so updated charts are not terribly important.. and I can make do nicely with a more basic system than one of these intricate n2k one with 20 or more nodes all over the place.

With my new Audi I am finding "electronics" are becoming a distraction... to driving (dangerous) and to sailing... maybe dangerous and just not SAILING... but playing with buttons and looking at screens.

I love hi tech but don't want to be lost it.

KISS.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics