Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18   #16

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Alternatives to Navionics

For Android, you could look into Memory-Map marine charts for Aust and NZ (and other parts of the world).

The map data downloads onto your device's SD card and remains there. After activation, your device would never have to re-connect to Memory-Map to use the downloaded (and activated) charts.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:58   #17

Re: Updating Navionics Deletes Australia and New Zealand!!

UPDATE
Navionics have rectified the situation in a very satisfactory manner. I emailed them as follows:

"Dear Sir,

I purchased this app on 23 August 2012.

On automatic update of my apps today, my Australasian and Africa HD app has been converted to Asia and Africa HD, both on my android device, and on my record of apps on Google Playstore. However, now I can no longer download or update charts of Australia.

Will you please advise how I can reinstate my access to Australian charts, as purchased on 23 August 2012. I note that your description of the Asia and Africa HD app on Playstore, which I have just consulted, clearly shows a screenshot showing chart coverage of the app as including Australia.

Thank you,

Lee Martin"

They promptly replied:

Dear Mr Martin,
Thank you for contacting Navionics.
Navionics coverage areas have changed. We apologize if this caused any inconvenience to you.
In order to quickly restore your app, we recommend you to purchase the area of your interest through Google Play Store.
Google Play Store always sends you a digital receipt at the time of your purchase by email. Send us both receipts of purchase and we will promptly refund you the second purchase.
To process your refund we’d need the following details:
IBAN
Swift/BIC
Country
As soon as we have these details our accounts department can issue the refund.
Please notice that the proofs of purchase are mandatory to process the refund.

We hope you will appreciate our efforts.

Best regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

So I followed their advice and purchased the aus/nz app. I have only just today submitted my details for refund, very confident I will get it.

Meanwhile, Navionics emailed me further:

Dear Mr Martin,

Changes have been arranged to Marine Australasia&Africa app update.

Please be informed that if you update to Asia&Africa now, you will have the ability to download the complete coverage area.

Best regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

I find my Asia & Africa app now works as original, including Australia and NZ. Somehow, the Navionics site recognises me, and I can access all charts as originally purchased. It looks like new purchasers of the Asia & Africa app will only get Asia and Africa.

All I can say is: WELL DONE NAVIONICS.

Lee

banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 23:27   #18

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

i would buy Navionics for Android but a bit shy of doing so after all of the reported problems in this thread and others. I have a Galaxy 10.1 which is certified by Navionics. I need the Asia-Africa coverage. A couple of weeks back I was told by another cruiser that it cost about $40 US, when I just checked it is $77 US. IS NAVIONICS scamming or is there a legitimate reason for the price increase. They alos advertise cruising guides as part of the package but I cannot find more details. I would appreciate any feedback on the latest Asia-Africa package to help e decide to buy or not.

Joe
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 00:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
i would buy Navionics for Android but a bit shy of doing so after all of the reported problems in this thread and others. I have a Galaxy 10.1 which is certified by Navionics. I need the Asia-Africa coverage. A couple of weeks back I was told by another cruiser that it cost about $40 US, when I just checked it is $77 US. IS NAVIONICS scamming or is there a legitimate reason for the price increase. They alos advertise cruising guides as part of the package but I cannot find more details. I would appreciate any feedback on the latest Asia-Africa package to help e decide to buy or not.

Joe
To update my earlier posts, I have received a full refund from Navionics, so I am happy.

As I have the package installed, I can't check the price, but $77 seems high.

I don't yet have my yacht in the Philippines, but have travelled the area extensively. I have C-Map Max, Plan2Nav, CM93 and navionics for the area. Generally find Navionics the best, particularily for the remote islands. This is based on trips on hired local boats, poking around the backblocks. Meaning west coast of Palawan, west coast of Dinagat.

If Navionics have jacked the price up to $77, that's a pity, but I would still buy. For Android, Plan2Nav is very expensive, and not as easy to use as Navionics. Hope this helps.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450

Also for info Navionics provided good support and the issue was sorted well. I do like Navionics charts perhaps a bit more planning functionality on the ipad would be good.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45   #21

Angry Re: Updating Navionics Deletes Australia and New Zealand!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I bought the same app for android a few months ago. Similar situation there. The latest update (automatic), has converted my app to to Asia and Africa HD. The Australian charts previously downloaded , are still on my device, but I can no longer update or add Australian charts.

I agree with a previous poster, THIS IS FRAUDULENT BEHAVIOUR.

I am considering my options. Lets keep each other informed on this.

Lee
I too have had fraudulent behavior dealing with navionics for my android
georgepetsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 23:11   #22

Navionics 4.x has not worked for me since they removed Australia&NZ. I have both apps 4.5 (ie Australia&NZ and Asia&Africa). They will install and work the first time fine. Then if I close them and reopen they crash. I've dropped back to a previous version 5.0.1 that is working. I'm not getting any response form Navionics and effectively have paid for about 4 products that cant be used. Very unhappy.
deandavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 04:01   #23

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have navionics au nz on my ipad and it all seems to work fine
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 04:17   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All thats happening here , is that digital chart companies are engaged in the classic 'bait and switch' techniques. Firstly release cheap iThingy products, people go great , then having built a user base, ( and recognising that these products are eating into there traditional product base) , you crank up the charges.

This is exactly what I predicted on the Open CPN thread, to counter the view that the world was going Ipad and 'free' charts.

You use a device for displaying you tube videos at your own risk when undertaking the serious business of at sea navigation. Professionals dont use toys.

Dave