Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 14:20   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Uniden 525 VHF and general question

Hi, y'all,

I've been active on the cruiser's net here in Abaco, and this morning one of the neighboring boats with a radio and antenna guru aboard called me after to say that after about a minute of continuous transmission I got faint, though still very clear. Another station chimed into the conversation to say they had the same result. The original boat is right next to me, so distance or atmospheric stuff was not a factor

His opinion was either corrosion in the cable which might have an effect, or the radio heating up from continuous tx.

As I'm heading back to the states with a pretty big to-do list shortly, for a month, I could send it off to Uniden for a look.

In another forum, during our discussion on anomalies with this radio in a different installation, since proven to be the cable in the mast, another user posted that he isn't a great fan of this particular radio, citing other problems which increased over time. Anyone else have this experience with this or other radios, identified it as something other than the radio, and have the solution?

My antenna feed for the current installation runs in our bilge, and our rudder post is currently in need of repacking, sending a constant stream of water down the bilge/limberholes, where I expect there's at least one connection. While that and any other connex are professionally done, I expect some water COULD have penetrated. I'll have a look at that, first, but would appreciate experienced input.

Thanks, y'all

L8R

Skip, in the Bahamas for another few days before a month ashore

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig
and/or Flying Pig Log | Google Groups

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 15:05   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
My 625 was behaving in a like manner. Check ALL antenna conections. Turned out one of mine was not soldered. If in bilge, make sure they are heat shrinked and waterproof. Good radio, strongly suspect antenna connections.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 15:31   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
Your radio savvy friend is on the right track. A poor connection or bad antenna will cause a high standing wave ratio which usually results in heating of the final amplifier components in the radio. It can cause a radio failure. The best diagnostic technique would be to put a directional watt meter inline with the transmission cable to measure the SWR. Most modern radios will tolerate a SWR of 3:1 with no issues but a ratio of 1.5:1 or better is to be desired. Well designed radios reduce drive to the power amplifier section by sensing heat via a thermistor usually mounted on the PA heatsink. When I had my shop 20 years ago, Uniden was not known for their high quality. Things may have changed in the intervening years. Good luck.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote