Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 14:56   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: UHF Marine channels for "on-board stations."

Thanks, Jammer. I see where it says those frequencies MAY BE ASSIGNED. Apparently no one at the FCC took sixth grade grammar, which was not fun. Otherwise the regs should have said "may be assigned by the FCC to a licensed ships station" or had some indication of WHO may "assign" them. Does the captain assign them? The archangel Marconi? Or are they assigned, like Part90 licenses, only after application and approval by the FCC?

I'll try not to stay up too late worrying about it.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:18   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

I agree that they must have had the junior attorney writing the prose for that one.

As I mentioned upthread, the FCC isn't assigning them, or if they are, they're not in the license database.

On a separate board it has been reported to me that there is basically zero enforcement response to b-band interference complaints unless the perp is running a repeater. It's gotten to the point where officials are actually suggesting that people scan the frequencies of interest before making a license request, so that they can pick a frequency that is free of unlicensed users. ::
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:35   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think back in the 1960's the FCC must have lost their enforcement budget. They got rid of the vans and rdf gear and field teams...probably because Congress had figured out all the Communist spies were just using the telephone.

In any case, enforcement has long been a poor joke on almost everything except large carriers. And while I don't argue that "no harm no foul" is often both logical and cost effective, sometimes they REALLY need to swat someone, to keep some minimal standards.

Suggesting that people scan frequencies before requesting license assignments is actually a good idea, the kind of generally helpful advice the FCC licensing division often gives. Certainly makes it less likely that they'll go through the assignment process, only to have all kinds of claims following that and a lot more effort and expense.

Dunno. If it says "assigned" and ooops, forgets to say who is authorized to assign things...I used to have that dilemma when I saw doors that said "Authorized personnel only." Then I realized, OF COURSE I could authorize myself.

I guess I can do that on boats now too, huh?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine