Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 16:57   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Really. I need to vent. Today I was working on trying to configure this confusing piece of crap hardware/software (regarding the way you need to configure on the web browser this pieces of crap!).

After unsuccesfully trying to configure the software portion (web interface) it suddenly disappeared from my network. So we were back to resetting this piece of laminate back to factory defaults. To do this you need to depress the most complicated to press buttton in the history of buttons. You need to depress it while you connect the ethernet cable into the unit (as to power it up ... while pressing the stupid button). The stupid button is narrow, elongated, like a rectangle. So the sensible tool to use is a flat screwdriver. DONT. Because it will happen to you; the useless button just ... disappears. If you use anything thats a bit sharp, to say it mildly, the button just disappears. It desintegrates, I have no idea. As I was trying to do this very complicated depress, while connecting ethernet (remember this device is intendd to be used at the antenna, so this is the way they decided they would do the hardware reset. So the reset button disappeared, the unit didn't reset, and I slipped one more time the scrtewdriver thinking (because its hard to see ... its a design issue morons at ubiquiti!) I was still trying to press something ... Anyhow, my screw driver destroyed the button, and hence the stupid device. Im short 100 and something usd, for a piece of crap, badly designed unit.

Give me an alternative to this so much "hyped" piece of technology crap please. I swear to god I haven't had to deal with such a piece of chinese crap in years. And it was a "ti", supposedly built to last .... to last the stupidity of the designers ... not.

Im so frustrarted. Pissed. I really want to find out the home address of the owner of ubiquiti and stick this M2 in his rear.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:50   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Two words. Redport Halo. Google it and be happy.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:00   #3

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Gaucho--

Yes, Ubiquiti are not the for the faint of heart, they are not designed to be consumer devices with cartoon wizards and happy face status. However, when you need to do something tricky and know what you want, they are a powerful tool.

During the setup of the nanostation (a.k.a. the M series)... they come up on a set IP of 192.168.1.20. During the link setup process you normally pick a different subnet/IP like 192.168.10.20 to create the bridge and that can make the device appear to vanish on your network depending on your network masks.

A good setup guide for a wifi link/bridge is https://dl.ubnt.com/docs/M_Series_Beginner_Guide.pdf. I followed it blindly the first few I sent up while I learned the ropes.

As for the reset, it's easier to leave the POE ethernet cable plugged into the nanostation and then just plug the unit in to the wall for while holding down the reset button. I've never had an issue breaking the reset button on the couple of units I've setup... but I may just be lucky.

Also, a good thing about the Ubiquiti POE devices is while they come with typically 24V power injector... in my experience the will work fine all the way down down to about 9.5V. I just wire it direct to the boats 12V system and since the handing 24V fine, they don't mind the 14.4V-14.8V charge setting which and make some routers uppity.
Old 24-07-2018, 04:30   #4

The M2 is an insane powerful piece of kit, and you should calm down and read the docs and stop being rough on it.

Ubiq steps, roughly ;

1.) Put it in router mode, DHCP enabled. Click the TEST button and QUICKLY put your laptop into "auto network", then surf to http://192.168.1.1 log in, network tab, then CLICK APPLY. Thats the tricky part. If you are too slow it will revert to old settings.

ALWAYS use the test mode and then apply, and work in steps. If you make a mistake, it will put you right back where you were before.

2.) In wireless, click select, then select your service provider then apply it.

Don't get angsty with the Ubiqs - they are amazing radios and you need to learn how to use them properly. A pair of Ubiqs on board gives you huge range as a repeater.

If you think that's hard configure, then yourself a mikrotik and try learn that, but be sure to also get yourself a revolver and a bullet too. You'll only need one bullet - either for the mikrotik or yourself. Don't buy a mikrotik!
Unregistered-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 12:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
...After unsuccesfully trying to configure the software portion (web interface) it suddenly disappeared from my network. So we were back to resetting this piece of laminate back to factory defaults. To do this you need to depress the most complicated to press buttton in the history of buttons. You need to depress it while you connect the ethernet cable into the unit (as to power it up ... while pressing the stupid button).
You do not have to start a reset with the ethernet unplugged. With the bullet powered up you do a factory reset by holding in the switch in for 10-12 seconds.

There is a firmware recovery procedure that involves starting with power off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ View Post
If you think that's hard configure, then yourself a mikrotik and try learn that, but be sure to also get yourself a revolver and a bullet too. You'll only need one bullet - either for the mikrotik or yourself. Don't buy a mikrotik!
The Mikrotik Groove is easier to setup than the Bullet if you get the correct version. Most cruisers seem to be buying the GrooveA 52HPn or the GrooveGA 52ac. These are set as an AP by default and a cruiser wants one set as a CPE. If you get the versions that don't have "A" after the name "Groove" you'll get a Groove that is US$20-30 less than the "A" version. It doesn't come with the free antenna but it will work out of the box.
Old 24-07-2018, 14:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
The Mikrotik Groove is easier to setup than the Bullet if you get the correct version. Most cruisers seem to be buying the GrooveA 52HPn or the GrooveGA 52ac.
None of the mikrotiks are recommended. I have a cardboard box full of them, and you are welcome to them by the handful. They are unduly complex, and have shitty little failure modes that are impossible to diagnose. Every single time I've put faith in one of these boxes I've been shortchanged.

The perfect cruising "internet radio" is the NanoStation. These are compact, powerful, resilient, easy to use, and the range is magnificent. Get an M2 and an M5. The front to back ratio is not horrendous, so they will function off the back of the antenna when closer than 1km. Don't be afraid of the "directional" antenna. Don't get the AC version.

I'm a Wireless Internet Service provider. Stick with the Ubiquiti. Don't use the Mikrotik.
Old 24-07-2018, 14:20   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Or get a Redport Halo. Easy setup, great range, great price.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 14:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

@SteveWrightNZ
We'll have to just disagree on Mikrotik products.

I like the Nanostations a lot but don't want to support them because of the directional antenna. I sell some to power boaters that stay in marinas and I keep them on my own boat.

I started selling Bullets around 2007 but switched to Grooves in 2014 so I'm familiar with both Ubiquiti and Mikrotik.
Old 24-07-2018, 15:13   #9

Quote:
We'll have to just disagree on Mikrotik products.
Believe me, I'd love to agree with you! I just bought two more 'tiks last month to test out some new scheme, and it was complete destruction!! What an annoying piece of *****!!!

Quote:
I like the Nanostations a lot but don't want to support them because of the directional antenna. I sell some to power boaters that stay in marinas and I keep them on my own boat. [...] I started selling Bullets around 2007 but switched to Grooves in 2014 so I'm familiar with both Ubiquiti and Mikrotik.
The back-of-the-antenna performance is perfectly adequate for links under 1km.

Test the NanoStation! You try it and compare it and tell us the results. I'm telling you my test results - and I detest the damn things with a passion, and with good reason.

I have had clients connected to a NanoStation over 20km away!! These things are completely bananas!
Old 24-07-2018, 15:30   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ View Post
I have had clients connected to a NanoStation over 20km away!! These things are completely bananas!
A quick look on Amazon suggest there are hundreds of them, which one?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 15:45   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Pete--

I'm using this one:

Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz, works great. It' the smaller of the two (M2 vs M5).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 24-07-2018, 15:56   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

Following!
Old 24-07-2018, 16:00   #13

Don't get the Loco. It has the small antenna.

Get the big one - it has double the gain antenna and more than double the transmit power.

edit: Don't get the AC ones - you CANNOT use them as access points, should you want to.
Old 24-07-2018, 16:03   #14

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Interesting but don’t blame the design engineers put the blame on the manufacturing engineers. They get to respec every part for build ability and cost.
Old 24-07-2018, 16:12   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-07-25 11-02-55.png
Views:	394
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	174263Screenshot attached. Note distances and speeds.