Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2010, 03:19   #1

Boat: HitchHiker 42ft Sailing Cat
TV Antennas - Australia

Have a hubby that loves his TV so with the new digital switch happening and our lack of a decent signal was hoping some of you ausie Guys can give me hand here. so far research has tracked down a Glomex for around $250 but my tv guy says to find a dome with the amplifier included with a particular cable and also chanel selection limited to 6-69. so anyone out there in the no??
top_deck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 05:31   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
The new digital TV signal in the USA is terrible for someone that lives far from the TV station. I have an antenna that is good for 200 miles with an amplifier. The stations are only 55 miles away. These antennas are no longer made. When the sky is clear the signal is clear. When it rains the signal looks like a satellite signal in the rain. The signal breaks up and sometimes the station is lost. I am not impressed with satellite tv either because the same thing happens in a bad rain storm.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 23:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
To be...

I put in a Shakespeare Antenna with the amplifier. Works well.

Also hooked up my AM/FM radio via a Shakespeare splitter. Works well.

Haven't tried it in really poor areas, but as digital is UHF I'm not expecting miracles.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:08   #4

Thanks for your comments scallywag. Am land based most of the time here in Brisbane Australia and find certain channels really hard to get on the set top digital box we have so thats why i am wary of buying for my boat. The prices i am getting quoted are around $300 with no guarantees. So will keep researching
Kaz
Old 22-01-2010, 05:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
I would start by getting the least expensive set top antenna for UHF that you can find at the local discount store along with enough coax to hoist it. Take it to the boat and try it.

You probably don't need an amp. Getting an antenna up and out of structures makes a huge difference in the signal with digital reception. Most of the rabbit ear antennas are directional so try to stabilize the antenna while testing and try different orientations.

Take a look at the DIY antenna thread that is active right now. One post is showing how to make a hoop antenna. I think these tend to be more omni directional.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:01   #6

We had a Glomex on the masthead on the last boat, omnidirectional with a signal booster that drew nothing for power. It worked well for analog TV, digital is either there or it's not, there seems to be no middle ground. Digital seems a step backwards in some respects, when it works the picture is great but some picture is better than none.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 07:05   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Any antennas that will receive UHF will work for over the air digital and HD. Currently in the US all stations are only operating at one half power, never received a good explanation why, which does not improve reception in fringe areas. Having said that, with a Shakespeare antenna and a signal booster, we have recieved broadcasts when the tower was almost 70 miles away. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:05   #8

Here in Australia, the best digital antenna I've come across is the "SuperDigi" but it has a price tag of around AUD $900.00. The majority of boaters in Sydney that are serious about their TV use it and swear by it.
capdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:21   #9

Thanks capdiy, I think $900 is abit out of my range. Still using rabbit ears and hating it but haven't been happy with the digital anyway. Where i'm based i can't get 7 at all and when the weather is bad the digital signal is really bad. Not worth watching. Have you heard anything of any other middle of the range antennas? I talked to a TV guy and they tell me the HF option is not good reception. Just having trouble wading through the advertising to try and find something that will work most of the time.
Old 03-02-2010, 14:29   #10

GME Acies set-top box plus antenas works at just under AUD $500.00. Twin antennas like this one and the"SuperDigi" mentioned earlier, appear to be the only ones that pick up a good digital signal.
Old 03-02-2010, 15:47   #11

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)
Just out of curiosity,
Would a UHF 2way Ariel pick up any usable signal or is the wavelength wrong for digital tv.
Cheers Mark.
Old 03-02-2010, 16:01   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Not sure about Australia, but in the US there is no such thing as a digital ofrHD TV antenna. Any claims are simply a marketing ploy. For here at least, as I said in a previous post, to pick up our digital signals you need any antenna that receives UHF and since some digital broadcasts are still done in VHF here the ability to pick up UHF and VHF is useful. Our Shakespeare omni directional sitting on a mast 20 feet off the water picks up stations at 60 miles away. It does have the signal booster and I would recommend it if you are trying to get a signal some distance away. Here in the Chesapeake we can pick up all of the Baltimore digital and HD stations with a coat hanger.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26   #13

Here is a link that might help. Digital channels are highlighted in blue.
http://www.acma.gov.au/acmainterwr/_assets...100059/tv_8.pdf
Old 04-02-2010, 13:01   #14

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
hi top deck 2 i bought one of those omni directional things with a amplifier through whitworths here in adelaide and when we sailed across the St vincent Gulf (approx 60 ks ) i tried my new u beaut antenna all i got was snow so i connected my bunny ears to 10 m of cable hoisted to the mast head and was rewarded with a clear picture ,this exercise was repeated over that week with the same result having said that on really windy /stormy days the picture did ghost a bit but was still watchable i wish i had tried this before outlaying $200 + dollars for the so-called marine antenna and having spoke to a few people at our local marina everone was of the same opion of these amplified antennas in that they just dont seem to work .....i would ask around at your marina and see what works for other boaties cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 23:19   #15

Just had a look at your link for digiatl stations but not sure how I can apply this?

Tags
antenna, Australia