Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 16:43   #1

Boat: Najad 373
Truma - Gas Remote Switch: Solenoid problem?

Hi!
Our "Truma - Gas Remote Switch" seems stop working. We are about to start a circum navigation within a week, and this is a totally new problem for me. Seems to be a new problem every year when putting the boat back to sea after the winter in Sweden - so we have to be on our toes

As I understand it's quite common to have a problem with the Gas remote switch solenoid.
There is no "click" sound when we press the Remote control button "b" - see attached images from the Truma documentation.

1. Is there a quick fix, like press a button in a kind of sequence?
2. It's only a electrical problem, because we have made so many changes and adjustments in the boat because of circum navigation?
3. I have to buy a new solenoid?
4. It's not a solenoid problem, it's something else?

The boat is a Najad 373 from the year 2000, guess the Truma - Gas remote switch is that old.

Thanks,
Jonas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	168541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	168542  

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	168543  
Segelplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 16:56   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Truma - Gas Remote Switch: Solenoid problem?

Every time I have fixed one of these it has been a sticky solenoid.
They are easily fixed, check with multimeter if there is voltage, if there is, but no click you have a stuck solenoid. Open, Clean, Lube, reassemble.
(you can also test for magnetism with a screwdriver held close by and energized it should be attracted to the solenoid)
Old 22-04-2018, 17:00   #3

Sounds like a simple brilliant solution to test the magnetic power - great, thanks!
Old 22-04-2018, 17:11   #4

What happens if I put a simple bar magnet on the solenoid?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07MBM-5-7.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	168544  
Old 23-04-2018, 09:05   #5

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Nothing. Current passing through the coil creates the magnetic field and pulls the iron core into the coil, opening the port for gas to flow. It would take a fairly strong magnet applied to the end of the coil, in line with the core.
First check for voltage, as mentioned above. Also check for good clean connections, any corrosion can limit current, causing failure. Typical gas solenoid will pull 0.5 to 1.0 amps, some slightly more. If the core is sticking, as mentioned above, cleaning it may fix it. But problem could be a bad coil. Disconnect wires and test for resistance. Should be about 10 -20 ohms. Even if you have to replace the whole solenoid valve, it’s easy enough to do, and most chandlers carry them
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:55   #6

Boat: Malo 39

I have had intermittent issues similar to the one described so I am also appreciative of the comments.
I've long believed there should be a backup solution. If the solenoid completely fails it will be cold food for a long time.
Why not bypass solenoid by having an extra gas line supply line with a manual valve. This could be closed (and secured closed) for general operation and would only be opened if the solenoid failed.
What am I missing?
Wishing you a successful circum navigation!
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:31   #7

Having the plumbing necessary to bypass the solenoid and/or a spare solenoid before leaving would probably be a good idea. The closest that I ever came
(that I'm aware of) to a fiery demise was a result of a failed propane regulator, delivering high pressure gas to the cooker. First thing in the morning, trying to light the stove to prepare coffee: I could hear the "hiss" but the burner wouldn't ignite, until it did. WOW! Ever since I've been curious why a gauge indicating the pressure downstream of the regulator isn't a component of a propane system. Admittedly the pressure is quite low (expensive gauge?), and regulators probably don't fail all that often, but...... Anyway a spare regulator might be in order as well.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 14:31   #8

Great answers - my solution was to go old school
I just used something to hammer on solenoid - that actually worked!
But, as a safety solution we will prepare a "hose" that replace and bypass a failured solenoid. Manual solution is more longterm for circum navigators (IMHO).

Thanks!
Old 24-04-2018, 03:34   #9

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"

Either there is no 12V power to the solenoid, or, if there is, then the solenoid is bad. Use a multimeter to check for power. Note: If the solenoid is working, it will be quite warm after a few minutes.
If you are leaving on a world trip, you need to know how to make these minor repairs on your own. You should also check to see if you have plumbing fittings aboard to remove the solenoid and connect the propane plumbing without it for an emergency fix while at sea.
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 10:56   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

To revive an old threat. I’ve got the same problem. How do you open a Truma solenoid?
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 11:49   #11

Not sure of the design for your valve, but most of the ones I've seen are direct acting, as opposed to pilot acting/diaphragm valves, like the one below. The valve body could also be round.

Assuming direct acting, to open it you first remove the coil. Make sure it's not energized, they can be damaged by being energized without being on the core stem, due to overheating.
Typically the base of the core stem has a hex shape, clearly visible in the pic above, to apply an adjustable wrench (Crescent type), and once broken loose should turn quite easily. When the stem is removed from the valve body, the core may fall out, so take care not to lose the small spring that sits on top of the iron core. Note that if the core falls out easily, it's not likely the cause of the problem. These valves have small orifices, so it is also possible for the orifice to be blocked.
Most of the solenoid valve problems I've encountered have been coil failures.
Old 28-12-2019, 14:26   #12

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Not sure of the design for your valve, but most of the ones I've seen are direct acting, as opposed to pilot acting/diaphragm valves, like the one below. The valve body could also be round.

Assuming direct acting, to open it you first remove the coil. Make sure it's not energized, they can be damaged by being energized without being on the core stem, due to overheating.
Typically the base of the core stem has a hex shape, clearly visible in the pic above, to apply an adjustable wrench (Crescent type), and once broken loose should turn quite easily. When the stem is removed from the valve body, the core may fall out, so take care not to lose the small spring that sits on top of the iron core. Note that if the core falls out easily, it's not likely the cause of the problem. These valves have small orifices, so it is also possible for the orifice to be blocked.
Most of the solenoid valve problems I've encountered have been coil failures.
Hi. This is the Truma solenoid
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D582CB9-9C50-404F-A491-44AF60E055FF.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	205800  
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 15:11   #13

That IS a direct acting valve, so IF you can get it open, you can check it out, but some of the Truma valves I've seen online look like they have machine rolled or crimped core tubes, so you wouldn't be able to open one of those. You may, however, be able to run a solvent through it to free it up.
Have you checked the coil with a meter?

Tags
remote, rum