Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 06:22   #16

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: Trouble with Ubiquity Bullet M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
When you connect the cat5 from the bullet, are you disabling the wifi?

In every prior attempt to cennect yes I had wifi turned off. On the last attempt using the discovery tool Web UI I think I was connected. Thats what I need to try tonight I think. Using the discovery tool with my wireless card turned off. Im still hopeful that there is not something wrong with this bullet but I also hope it is not this big of pain to access Air Os all the time.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 06:43   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
A couple of bits of information will help everyone provide good information to you without having to make guesses.

*Tell us what operating system you use.
*Fill us in on some of the things that have already been checked such as have cables been swapped out.
*Does your computer show that a cable is connected when the cat5 from the bullet is plugged into the computer LAN port?
*Is your computer LAN set to a Static IP or is it set to get DHCP automatically?
*Are you using a cigarette lighter plug for your connection to your 12 volt system?

We can give you instructions for finding the network information if we know your operating system.

Download the Ubiquiti Discovery Tool for your operating system. This is a Java program that will provide information about a working Bullet connected to your computer.

Bob,

It's very nice of you to help us fellow cruisers! You're good people!
Old 20-03-2012, 08:49   #18

In the event I am unsucessful at getting the bullet I have to work and end up buying another one can anyone suggest a good place to purchase one? Preferably someplace that will take it back if it turns out there are more bad ones out there?
Old 20-03-2012, 09:15   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

SV Demeter,

You have been going back and forth with him the whole time.
His name is Bob Stewart from IslandTime WiFi

Marine WiFi Systems
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:25   #20

Ha ha thats what I thought the minute I posted.
Old 20-03-2012, 09:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

At this point it doesn't sound like your Bullet is bad. Once you get into the Bullet we can help you set it up to make access easy.

When your wireless is connected to the internet the computer tends to prefer that connection and send all information in the address bar out to the internet rather than to the device on your LAN. This means you don't find the Bullet.

If your Bullet is setup correctly it will be assigning an IPv4 to your computer of 192.168.1.xxx based on the 192.168.1.2 address of the Bullet. If you see a 192.168.1 address assigned to your computer LAN and your wireless card is disconnected or disabled then the 192.168.1.2 address should take you to the Bullet.

If your computer doesn't get an IP then it should set a self-assigned address for the LAN IP of 169.254.xxx.xxx. If this is the case then you can use the Bullets Auto IP alias to connect to the Bullet unless your vendor disabled this which I consider a dumb move. You should see the IP alias address of the Bullet in the "details" window of the Discovery Tool. The Bullet Auto IP address can be calculated if necessary by taking the last 2 pairs of Hexidecimal numbers in the MAC address shown on the base of the Bullet and converting them to Decimal and using them as the last 2 groups of numbers in the 169.254.xxx.xxx subnet. There are many online converters available, just google "hexidecimal to decimal". For those of you with Bullet 2HP's rather than M2HP's the Discovery tool will not show the Bullet self-assigned address but it still works, you just have to do the conversion to use it to access the Bullet the first time. I just hate to set my computer to a static IP because no matter how many times I have done it I still tend to forget to go back to DHCP before using my browser.

As a last resort we'll do a reset to factory defaults by holding down the reset switch on the base of the Bullet for about 10 seconds until the signal lights flash. If you need to do this you must be careful not to damage the switch. It takes a light touch and it is possible break this surface soldered switch off the circuit board. After you reset the Bullet give it about a minute to stabilize then pull power for 10 seconds and reapply it to reboot. Allow time for your computer and Bullet to negotiate all there automatic settings.

After you do a reset the Bullet will be set as a Client/Bridge with the following settings:

Static IP: 192.168.1.20
Username = ubnt
Password = ubnt
DHCP disabled
Auto IP Alias enabled

By using the Discovery Tool you should be able to access the Bullet by using the Auto IP Alias shown in the "Details" window of the Discovery Tool. This does not require changing the IP of your LAN to a static IP.

Once you get into the Bullet I can email you a configuration file which is installed from the AirOS "System" tab. This will set your Bullet up for use on your boat in one operation.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:23   #22

Ok I made sure I wifi was off. I made sure dhcp was on. I went to details in the discovery tool and there were two ip addresses:

I

I highlighted the second one and clicked web ui.

Hurrah! I got to the air OS login. Hit ubnt and looks like I'm in the bullet. Guess I can follow config instructions from here. Stand by.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:45   #23

So much for the hurrah. I was able to get to air OS. I followed vendors instructions to go to wireless tab chose a good none encrypted ssid ad hit select. Then change. Then apply ten logout. I rebooted and now I can't even get the discovery tool to show my bullet. Everything. Hooked up the way it was. Frustrated again.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:55   #24

I would like to try the factory reset option I think but at this stage I'm ready to just start over with another bullet from Bob. Tech support over a phone line I think will be less frustrating than posts on cf.
Old 20-03-2012, 19:10   #25

Tried factory reset and still am not seeing the bullet in the discovery tool. Trying rebooting. Seems like the computer is identifying something trying to connect them failing then identifying tying to connect then failing. Lights on both the bullet and the laptop are flashing just as happily as can be.
Old 20-03-2012, 19:19   #26

Tried a different cable and at least now I'm able to see the bullet with the discovery tool. I can click on details and see the two ip addresses again:

And

Trying web ui on either gets me no place.
Old 20-03-2012, 19:44   #27

Tried rebooting laptop. Now discovery tool is not seeing bullet. I'm done here. Will contact bob in the am and start over with a new bullet and send this one back to sailors solutions.