Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Trouble with Seatalk to NMEA converter

I have recently installed an AIS transponder that has the ability to output NMEA data. It also has a USB cable which I am using to see AIS targets on my charting software (OpenCPN) and also to provide GPS data to the laptop. This much is working perfectly.

I also have one of these: Raymarine Marine Electronics - PC-SeaTalk-NMEA Interface Box and am trying to get the GPS data from my AIS unit out to my Raymarine instruments over seatalk.

I think there is a problem with the nmea to seatalk converter as when everything is powered up i get a green light on the converter for Seatalk but no light for NMEA. I have double checked that the AIS unit's nmea tx wires are connected to the converter's NMEA in and the rx wires are connected to NMEA out. I have even tried reversing this to no avail. My AIS unit is set to transmit NMEA data at 4800 baud which should be what the seatalk converter is looking for. I am not trying to get AIS data to the instruments just GPS data so this 4800 baud should be right. I have used a digital multimeter on the NMEA connections and am seeing zero volts on the NMEA out at the seatalk converter. I am seeing about 3.25 volts on the NMEA in wires but the polarity seems reversed as when I connect my negative meter lead to the NMEA tx (-) wire and my positive meter lead to the NMEA (+) wire I see -3.25 volts on my meter. Not sure if thats normal or if voltage is any way to test this converter. It was late last night when I was last at the boat and I cant recall if I tried swapping the +/- wires on the NMEA in side but I think that did not help.

The seatalk to NMEA converter came with the boat at was working a few years back before I removed an old Northstar GPS that was being used to supply GPS data so I know it worked at some point...

Im thinking I should be seeing the green LED lit on the converter if it was working correctly?

Thanks for any help here.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29   #2
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Re: Trouble with Seatalk to NMEA converter

By no means an expert but seem to remember my ais was 38400 baud when connected to my Raymarine kit.
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32   #3

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: Trouble with Seatalk to NMEA converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
By no means an expert but seem to remember my ais was 38400 baud when connected to my Raymarine kit.

My AIS has both a high speed 38400 baud output and a low speed 4800 buad output. Im trying to get the GPS data onto seatalk so was thinking I would need to use the 4800 baud. 38400 is for getting AIS data to a charplotter.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, seatalk