Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 06:58   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Transducer placement

Not sure if this question is best posed here or in "Construction/Maintenance/Refit," but here goes. Pardon the length, but I want to provide all of the background details to frame the question.

My boat is a '79 Morgan 461, purchased approximately a month ago. The Datamarine Corinthian series wind speed/direction and knotmeter, and Datamarine Corinthian II depth sounder, did not work. The knotmeter used a paddlewheel transducer located forward, under the sole just outside the forward head/forward cabin. The depth sounder transducer is located just aft of amidships, under the sole in the passageway just outside the engine room access. The knotmeter and wind display are mounted in the cockpit bulkhead forward, starboard of the companionway. The depth sounder is mounted in the pedestal just above the wheel. So I had three flush-mounted standalone instruments (three holes in the boat) with two thru-hull transducers (and a masthead anenometer). (There is a working Raymarine chartplotter/radar/GPS above the pedestal, along with Robertson autopilot head unit.)

I'm replacing the wind speed/direction and knotmeter with two B&G Triton T41 MFDs connected to the Simrad DST800 "triducer" (depth/speed/temp) transducer (as well as the masthead anenometer that came with the package (unless the old one still is working and will be compatible)). (Package from Hodges Marine.) Those will be mounted where the knotmeter and wind display were in the cockpit, and I anticipate using them as dedicated STW and wind, although there's flexibility there.

I'm filling the hole in the pedestal with a B&G Vulcan 7 FS connected to the Navico ForwardScan sonar transducer. That will give me dedicated forward-scan depth and contour. A little overkill, but the Vulcan will also give me redundancy for the aging Raymarine GPS/chartplotter.

OK, with all of that background, here's the question: In thinking this through, I planned to put the forwardscan transducer in the forward thru-hull, currently occupied by the old STW paddlewheel, and to put the DST800 transducer in the after thru-hull, currently occupied by the old depth sounder transducer. Made sense to me, perhaps simplistically, to have the forwardscan transducer forward.

But the installation instructions for both transducers show a "best location" for full keel sailboats (closest to the Morgan 461) as "amidships and away from the keel at the point of minimum deadrise." And I'm wondering whether, given the location of the old paddlewheel (forward), there's any reason to put the DST800 forward. That would put the forwardscan transducer amidships.

I'd welcome any thoughts or experience that would be instructive. Thanks
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, refit, transducer