Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 16:11   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Transducer for Raymarine instruments or Simrad MFD's?

OK I'll try not to confuse myself as I explain this.
I currently have ST60+ Wind, Depth and Speed all happily linked together.
I also have 2 Simrad NSS8 MFD's for Radar and Chrtplotting.
I am adding an ST60+ graphic display to allow me to interface with NMEA0183.

The stock airmar P319 transducer is a 0 degree fixed tilt. A 20degree transducer would give a far more realistic reflection of the real depth. (Full keel sailboat)
Questions
1- a 20 degree fixed tilt transducer that would wire directly to my ST60+ depth unit?
2-a) a 20 degree fixed tilt transducer that would wire into the Simrad network, and then would it supply the required data to the ST60+ depth through the NMEA out?
2-b)Would I still maintain any control over the depth display from the Raymarine unit (Offsets, alarms...)?
I hope all that makes sense.
Jim
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 12:59   #2

Boat: Dufour GL 412
Re: Transducer for Raymarine instruments or Simrad MFD's?

Hi, I have some experience on some of the equipment you mention above, namely the ST60+, as well as other Raymarine equipment, and an NSS8 plotter.

First, the stock Airmar transducer works nicely on the NSS 8. I just reconnected the wires via plugs, etc. into the NSS8 and the depth is correct and the sonar image pops up nicely.

I wanted to also have the ST60+ present the depth. I know that the NSS 8 is sending out the proper NMEA 0183 sentences for the depth because I can read that on a computer with OpenCPN. However, the ST60+ is not reading/presenting the depth when I am connecting wires to the NMEA 0183 input (yes, the baud rate is correct) on the ST60, and I have put it into slave mode. I find this frustrating, and wonder if anyone else have experience with this.

I have no experience with the 20 degree transducer.

Good luck,

Eirik
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:32   #3

First, the stock Airmar transducer works nicely on the NSS 8. I just reconnected the wires via plugs, etc. into the NSS8 and the depth is correct and the sonar image pops up nicely.

Eirik[/QUOTE]

So you mean the Airmar 319 that came with the Raymarine ST60+ is the transducer you connected into the NSS8? Do you know exactly what "Plugs, etc" you used to make that connection?
Thanks
Jim
Old 22-02-2017, 13:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik View Post
Hi, I have some experience on some of the equipment you mention above, namely the ST60+, as well as other Raymarine equipment, and an NSS8 plotter.

I wanted to also have the ST60+ present the depth. I know that the NSS 8 is sending out the proper NMEA 0183 sentences for the depth because I can read that on a computer with OpenCPN. However, the ST60+ is not reading/presenting the depth when I am connecting wires to the NMEA 0183 input (yes, the baud rate is correct) on the ST60, and I have put it into slave mode. I find this frustrating, and wonder if anyone else have experience with this.

I have no experience with the 20 degree transducer.

Good luck,

Eirik
Does the ST60 use NMEA? I thought they used Seatalk. I get my Simrad MFD to communicate with the ST60 instruments by using a Seatalk NMEA "translator". NMEA 0183 Accessories | Raymarine

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:45   #5

It's a couple of years since I hooked it up, and I don't remember the precise model number of the Airmar, but it was definitely what was part of the original package. I just bought the proper connector for the NSS8, and soldered the wires that had gone into the ST60+ to the wires on the NSS8 connector. They were also of the almost same colour match but a quick search gave the appropriate configuration.

Eirik
Old 22-02-2017, 14:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Does the ST60 use NMEA? I thought they used Seatalk. I get my Simrad MFD to communicate with the ST60 instruments by using a Seatalk NMEA "translator". NMEA 0183 Accessories | Raymarine

I was a bit too quick: The NMEA wiring is actually connected to the ST6001 autopilot controller, which has input connectors for NMEA. The documentation states that the ST6001 should interpret the NMEA 0183 sentence DBT (Depth below transducer), and hence pass it along the Seatalk network (to the ST60), but this does in my case not seem to happen. If this would work as described, the Sealtalk NMEA translator should not be necessary.

Eirik
Old 22-02-2017, 17:21   #7

Got it. The ST60+ Graphic functions as a translator from seatalk to nmea (Input and outputs, nmea 0183) I guess I'll be satisfied with the transducer shooting off on an angle, and then let the depth data go from ST60+ Depth to ST60+ Graphic to NSS8.

Tags
marine, men, raymarine, rum, simrad