Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 18:10   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Transducer

Hello All:

Just returned from a trip to BC. One of the goals was to install my plotter sounder/fish finder. I tried several locations on the hull for the transducer but the depth was always 2.5' Funny thing b/c I would have been high and dry if that were the case. When I let it down into the water there was a full 20' of depth. The instructions said that I could set the transducer in Epoxy and it would work fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I'm pretty sure my hull is not cored but I am contacting the builder to find out. Booat is a Sceptre 41

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 18:22   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Using some clay, try building a dam in a circule to make a cup against the hull and fill it with water. Put the transducer in the water and flush against the hull so it's fully submerged. Then try it. If it doesn't work then, you know it's not going to work on the inside of the hull......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 18:37   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Charlie, In 6 years of sailing off the California coast I never had a depth sounder most of the time. Finally installed one just to find shallow enough water to anchor. On the East coast this is a key piece of equipment and necessary for the boats safety. Quit screwing around for a few bucks and get the correct transducer and install in properly. In your posts on SSCA you say this is a transom mount transducer. They are not made to use in the hull. Some may find them to work but that is not what they are designed for.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 19:44   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
Charlie, In 6 years of sailing off the California coast I never had a depth sounder most of the time. Finally installed one just to find shallow enough water to anchor. On the East coast this is a key piece of equipment and necessary for the boats safety. Quit screwing around for a few bucks and get the correct transducer and install in properly. In your posts on SSCA you say this is a transom mount transducer. They are not made to use in the hull. Some may find them to work but that is not what they are designed for.
When I bought my admittedly cheap fathometer, I called the company to get the in hull transducer. They said I already had it, it was the transom mount transducer that came in the package. Not saying that everybodies is that way though.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
They are not made for inside the hull, true. But they will work OK. It simply reduces the distance of depth it will normaly sound too. Do as Del said, it requires a good airless coupling to the hull. A light oil is often used in the dox you make, but water will be fine. Epoxy to the hull will also work, but you want to find a good location before you glue it down. And yes, some hulls are not good at transfering the sound well.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 14:17   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
If you have several coats of bottom paint with a lot of copper in it (such as Trinidad) it can screw up the sonar as well.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 21:06   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks for the advice guys. Chuck the instructions with the trnsducer said it will work fine on the inside of the hull. I'll try using the dam next time I'm up there.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote