Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 15:50   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tracking Devices

There have been a few threads about Delorme inreach products and something called a Yellow Brick I believe.
The recent boat that has gone missing and the rescue of the crew off the coast of GA in the US has me thinking that some kind of tracking device that will allow family to follow you and be something that can be queried as to its position may well be something to have.
Not to replace an Epirb and or PLB's AIS MOB devices etc., but none of those would allow family to check on you, allow txt messages and be a way of finding your boat should it go missing, and I think the Delorme and maybe a Yellow brick will?
So I'm asking if one stands out as better and or cheaper than the others. I'm not thinking so much about acquisition costs as that just isn't that great, but I can see how a service plan along the lines of cell phones, satellite TV etc, can eat you alive over time.
Ideal would I think be one that you can place in a hold status when your not on passage and have turned back on when you are, but not have to pay exorbitant turn off and turn on fees.

So what device and or service plan meets that? Can other devices use different services, or are they proprietary?
I know essentially nothing about these things, and until very recently have not considered one, so I'm starting from scratch.
Any suggestions?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:06   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Tracking Devices

Sounds like a business plan in the making, I'm in...

Just don't tell Vesper Marine!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:11   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I think the Garmin - Delorme inReach Explorer is more refined and can also get weather.

Garmin | United States | Home

Yellow Brick is Pay as you go

YB Tracking | Truly global satellite tracking beacons for yacht racing, adventures, treks, expeditions and challenges | Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InReach1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	138764   Click image for larger version

Name:	inReach.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	138765  

Name:	YB.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	138766  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 17:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm leaning that way myself, but ran into an argument that a Sat phone for weather is better, but a Sat phone won't send position updates and can't be Pinged to give position either?
Original plan was the use HF for Wx, I think that will still be the case.
Looks like you can do the Delorme for $65 a month, and not pay for months you don't use it.
I can't find out much though, no matter how I search it seems to send me to the same Garmin page, which you can get a brochure on etc., but can't find out anything on Marine Wx
Old 31-12-2016, 17:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ideal would I think be one that you can place in a hold status when your not on passage and have turned back on when you are, but not have to pay exorbitant turn off and turn on fees.

So what device and or service plan meets that? Can other devices use different services, or are they proprietary?
I know essentially nothing about these things, and until very recently have not considered one, so I'm starting from scratch.
Any suggestions?
Delorme Inreach. Costs $5 per month when deactivated. I activate it each time I do at trip. Cost $35 per month for the "recreational plan" with 300 tracking points and 100 text messages. Configured to do 4 hourly position updates, that's more than enough for a month. There are no connect/disconnect fees.

And the battery lasts for several days with only 6 transmission per day. If I plugged it into my 9000mAh power pack it would probably be good for weeks ( One of those 30,000 mAh packs would last a loooong time).

Plugged into a USB port it will keep going as long as my solar is operational.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm leaning that way myself, but ran into an argument that a Sat phone for weather is better, but a Sat phone won't send position updates and can't be Pinged to give position either?
Original plan was the use HF for Wx, I think that will still be the case.
Looks like you can do the Delorme for $65 a month, and not pay for months you don't use it.
I can't find out much though, no matter how I search it seems to send me to the same Garmin page, which you can get a brochure on etc., but can't find out anything on Marine Wx
Marine weather on Inreach SE a few bucks a month

SpotCast Weather

Each weather report delivered by OCENS consists of a short text message containing four (4) forecasts over a 24-hour period for where you are as well as where you are headed. Each forecast contains a time stamp (converted to your local time zone) and forecasts of six weather factors. Weather includes:
SpotCast Weather on Iridium 9575
  • total inches (or mm) of
  • precipitation during each 6 hour period,
  • surface pressure in mb,
  • % cloud cover,*
  • air temperature (F or C),
  • wind direction (true) and
  • wind speed in knots.

Fees:
  • 24 hour forecast: Unlimited number of forecasts per period.
  • $60 per year (Y24)
  • $6 per mth (M24)

• 48 hour forecast: Unlimited number of forecasts per period.
  • $70 per year (Y48)
  • $7 per mth (M48)

• 72 hour forecast: Unlimited number of forecasts per period.
  • $80 per year (Y72)
  • $8 per mth (M72)

There is a $20 activation fee per device.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:03   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Plans and prices keep changing, and of course there's SPOT.

Another older less common option if you have a ham radio license is to use an APRS transmitter. Basically, there's a 2m data network set up in many parts of the world that can trap and log data blips from an inexpensive transmitter, accessible then from any of several web sites. Not as robust as satcoms, but free can be good too.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not a Ham, had considered it, but unlikely to happen now before we go.
Old 31-12-2016, 20:33   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just bought an InReach Explorer for cruising, kayaking, trekking...

For cruising that plus RadioFAX over SSB and an EPIRB has me well covered.

Dumped my SPOT...very unreliable in areas where I cruise most (NW & SW Carib) and very limited functionality.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 21:59   #10

Boat: Boatless at the moment

This image represents what Richards (M/Y Dauntless, a Kadey Krogen 42, Explores the World) Inreach logged from July 2014 till December 2016.

https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
https://dauntlessatsea.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dauntless.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	138772  
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:33   #11

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

My wife got me an inreach SE for Christmas. I have a friend who has one and I was impressed with it this summer on a backpacking trip.
I like the fact that it is a month to month service.
I will be retired at the end of the school year, she is still working and we have elderly parents. Now if I'm out on the boat up in BC, AK or backpacking we can text and she can follow my tracks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tracking Devices

I use my SPOT3 every time I do a trip.. from the feed back on CF I think it has a pretty good coverage as I crossed the Atlantic or moved around the Med..
This last trip however I also had the owners Yellow Brick.. unlike Spot its a built in battery and in spite of texts from and to the owner by the time I reached Spain from SXM there was still 75% battery left.
My Spot.. if I leave it on full time needs new batteries every 48hrs.. so it goes on for 1/2 hour 4-5 times a day.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:13   #13

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I have a SPOT Trace on my boat the emails me each day to tell me all is OK on the boat, but any time the boat moves more than 600 ft from it's current position I get an email showing it's position and as long as I leave it active, it will continue to send every 10 minutes. When I travel on the boat, I change the notification times to a longer time interval. The notifications can be received at any location I choose as long as I give that person the website and access. Perfect.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:14   #14

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

PS, SPOT Trace cost only $100. and $10. per year.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35

Actually, the Spot Trace is now on sale for only $50. Service is $10 per month or $100 per year. It will track your boat as much as every 5 minutes and will sleep when you are in a marina or anchored. It does this all automatically.plus, the unit is surprisingly tiny. It is easy to hide on board in case your boat is stolen, making tracking it easy.
Family can have a link to a website that updates in real time.and shows the latest 50 points.
If you want to see a track, take a look at our website, Follow Us On Our Sailing Adventure. I built the interface for that so it records and keeps all the tracks for our website.this way it will save it forever.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote