Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 18:33   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Time for a New Heading Sensor . . . KVH or Airmar or (Original) Autohelm / Raymar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
FYI--a quick reading of the warranty terms (here: http://www.kvh.com/Pages/Warranty/Warranty-Coverage-US/~/media/Site%20Documents/Warranties/540301B.ashx) does not mention anything about $150 dollar fee. I would enclose a copy of the warranty in the letter.

Make sure to send it by the old fashioned snail mail, preferably certified or return receipt.

Good luck
The fee was a 'bench' fee due to testing it even though they didn't find anything wrong...which was never disclosed

I did post a message on practical sailor's facebook page. I might send them a letter to post.. They always post messages 'where credit is due' They should have a column 'They should be ashamed of themselves'
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:52   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Time for a New Heading Sensor . . . KVH or Airmar or (Original) Autohelm / Raymar

I have the Maretron SSC200 and like it a lot. It is connected through an N2K backbone to the Furuno radar/chartplotter, Simrad AIS, and Raymarine autopilot. The old NMEA 0183 interface is just used for calibrating (connected to a computer serial port). In your case, is it possible to use the 0183 with your chartplotter as well as the autopilot? Most modern chartplotters still have the older interface as well as N2K one. BTW, when buying a compass get one that updates at 10hz (10 times/second) as that is the minimum needed for many radar ARPA calculations. Even if you don't have that now, it might be useful in the future.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I have the Maretron SSC200 and like it a lot. It is connected through an N2K backbone to the Furuno radar/chartplotter, Simrad AIS, and Raymarine autopilot. The old NMEA 0183 interface is just used for calibrating (connected to a computer serial port). In your case, is it possible to use the 0183 with your chartplotter as well as the autopilot? Most modern chartplotters still have the older interface as well as N2K one. BTW, when buying a compass get one that updates at 10hz (10 times/second) as that is the minimum needed for many radar ARPA calculations. Even if you don't have that now, it might be useful in the future.
My current setup is(was) the kvh going to the multiplexer and output to the plotter and AP. Figure since the plotter has n2k, figured I would use the n2k feed ..and feed the AP directly (N0183) and bypass the multiplexer (freeing up a port on it)
Old 05-12-2011, 21:30   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

OK, that sounds good. But if you don't otherwise need N2K then freeing up a port on the multiplexer seems a pretty small gain for the expense of wiring in a backbone/power tee/terminating resistors. OTOH N2K is the future, and I can tell you that it is a great way to go. I am currently installing speed/temp and depth with smart sensors, and look forward to adding a Maretron wind instrument as well. The N2K backbone has replaced a sheath of wires, not to mention reducing the number of displays. Your choice...
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:31   #20

If there is no gain using the n2k network..I guess I could:

1) use the n0183 output to feed both the AP and plotter..and it would still free up a port on the mux, as the plotter (lowrance HDS8) has 2 nmea inputs (+1 more with the n2k input) (one would be the heading sensor, the other from the output of the mux including AIS data). I would have to program the mux to remove the heading sensor coming from the AP (otherwise it would be getting 2x as much heading data)

or
2) just put the heading sensor to the AP ONLY...but the AP would have to be on for the plotter to get heading data. simpler wiring! Not a bad way to go. I don't think I have sailed at all without the AP on.

Although an elegant solution, running the heading sensor through the mux (as it is now), when the plotter was on, is causing some slowdown with the extra (gps info)traffic being combined in the nmea output going to the AP. with the plotter off, the AP responds quite well.

downside is that I can't use the AP in track mode (plotter controlling the AP) if the heading sensor is using the "nmea in" on the AP.. no big deal. rarely used that feature

I plan on using the old Autohelm/raymarine AP and tridata for as long as possible. Works quite well.

I will try and be more agressive with KVH to get my sensor out of jail, would be the cheapest/easiest solution for sure!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We have a recently installed airmar compass. I bought it after viewing the comparison video linked from panbo.com. This was part of a new autopilot installation. this included a Simrad ac12 computer and a octopus drive.

We just sailed from charleston to fernandina beach florida . it was all down wind 5 to 7 ft seas, 6 second. And 21 to 25 knots wind all night. our boat is a fin keel so the wind and waves were pushing us around quite a bit. A lot of yawing and rolling. we only had the main up with a single reef no head sail. Given the conditions I think the autopilot did very well. imagine some of the performance could be attributed to the compass.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:01   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
We have a recently installed airmar compass.
Chris

Is there a reason you chose this instead of the Simrad heading sensor?
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

There is also a GeoNav sensor - I believe it is a 'compass + G' combo.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:07   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson

Two reasons, the first already mentioned the second was I found a great deal on 1 selling on ebay.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Both Airmar and Maretron are good sensors. I'm not sure if the Airmar transmits the "attitude" PGN (heel and pitch). Other brands of similar price class will not beat these two, or are the same with different label only.

Take care with the way you configure the data network. If you rely on the AP forwarding heading to the plotter, it means you loose heading when you switch off AP or if it breaks down.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57   #26

Boat: Sea Hunt Victory 225 WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson

I have the RC42 heading sensor from Simrad. Works great with HDS-10 and 3G radar providing chart overlay. Its a N2K interface, outputs at 10 Hz and is easily calibrated. It has been working well in my setup since Jul11. Not cheap, though....believe I paid $469 for mine.
capecuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Both Airmar and Maretron are good sensors. I'm not sure if the Airmar transmits the "attitude" PGN (heel and pitch). Other brands of similar price class will not beat these two, or are the same with different label only.

Take care with the way you configure the data network. If you rely on the AP forwarding heading to the plotter, it means you loose heading when you switch off AP or if it breaks down.

cheers,
Nick.
Yup. If the AP breaks or is off, then having a heading sensor is moot. I don't have radar integrated (yet) so I don't need it for that at the moment

It is nice having it with on the plotter, but not essential. I always consider my electronics the backup system to my charts/compass. I never rely on it 100%

I have several compasses on the boat that will always work. My kvh died and I was still able to use my Ritchie at the helm !! Not the first time electronics have let me down! The compasses just keep on working!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:54   #28

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
I have the RC42 heading sensor from Simrad. Works great with HDS-10 and 3G radar providing chart overlay. Its a N2K interface, outputs at 10 Hz and is easily calibrated. It has been working well in my setup since Jul11. Not cheap, though....believe I paid $469 for mine.

Thanks! I bought the RC25 as I got a better price than the RC42, but wanted to hear some feedback on these units. It seems that the RC25 is just a rebranded Maretron SC200.

I'm the one selling the KVH linked to and was going to use that unit, but decided to go all Simrad. I could have used the KVH, but by buying the N2K Simrad heading sensor, it left an open NMEA on the chartplotter for my AIS and I wont have to buy a multiplexer.... saving money in the long run.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:43   #29

I posted a message on Practical Sailor's facebook page, asking for advice. Boy did they come through!!

They didn't give me any advice, but instead contacted KVH on my behalf. They convinced them to send my compass back to me for free, and is even covering the shipping back!

They went above and beyond to help out. I am so impressed! Once again proves the subscription to Practical Sailor is worth its weight in gold!

Of course..if they are right and there was no fault with the compass, I got to troubleshoot what the problem is. I think I will take the output of the mux off the autopilot and wire the KVH directly to the AP and see how that works.

But it is good to know the unit is now out of jail!!

to Practical Sailor!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

/me writes in black book:

- KVH

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, raymarine