Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 18:43   #46

Re: Thunderbolt: Apple Strikes Again :-)

Gizmoto had a "leak" from an "insider" that says the Ipad 2 isn't the one to watch out for, and that the Ipad 3 will be the sexy one.

I'd have an Ipad myself, but I like tinkering with the software. The Apple OS is just too locked down for my taste.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 21:00   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The 3 laptops I have on board all run Windows XP and Office 2003, newest one converted back from the Vista disaster and 2007 Office/Outlook

Time for me to make the switch to Apple with the new line of MacBook pros

Since my corporate work is Windows based I will still need access to MS Office.

I can for about $200 buy MS Office for MAC…or use a conversion program like VMware Fusion, CrossOver Mac, Parallels Descktop for Mac etc to run separate partitions.

Which transition method and program would you recommend?

In my mind the 3 other laptops will be for back up navigation programs or should I be thinking Apple for that transition as well?

Thanks for any guidance
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 22:18   #48

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Pelagic,
If you get apple get the iWorks/Pages software, which might come with the machine.
You can create a new Pages document by importing a document created in another application, such as Microsoft Office 2007 or AppleWorks. Pages can import the following file formats: plain text (.txt), Rich Text Format (.rtf and .rtfd), AppleWorks 6 word processing (.cwk), and Microsoft Word (.doc).

As much as possible, Pages preserves the original document’s text, colors, layout, and other formatting options.

From Microsoft Word, you can import styles, tables, inline and floating objects, charts, footnotes and endnotes, bookmarks, hyperlinks, lists, sections, change tracking, and more.

From AppleWorks, you can import word processing documents only.It's hard to hide anything from Apple these days.
Old 02-03-2011, 22:54   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks Del

What I was hoping to do is to keep using my existing programs and files seamlessly on the new MacBook pro while I get used to Apple systems without any business pressure of learning new Apple programs

Just as if I was buying a new Windows based PC and transferred all the files (about 380GB) without formatting issues or learning new software programs over Office and Outlook

Again,
I can for about $200 buy MS Office for MAC…or use a conversion program like VMware Fusion, CrossOver Mac, Parallels Descktop for Mac etc to run separate partitions without having to re-boot.

I am sure all the smart Apple Guys have been where I am and know the best transition method and program to recommend.

I like Apple, but here in the Philippines there is very limited support, so I am a bit nervous of choosing Mac for my next traveling laptop without a sense of how seamless the transition can be.

Thanks again for any guidance
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 23:12   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I've been using VMWare Fusion for a virtual XP Pro box in my MacBook for the last four years. It is an excellent program, although the documentation can be difficult to access and their support methodology is strange. Fortunately, I've had almost no need for it. With the couple of questions I've had, I was able to deduce what to do in reasonably short order. The easiest way to transition from a hardware Windows box to a virtual machine in a Mac is to image your Windows machine using something like Acronis TrueImage and then import it from there.

My virtual machine functions 100% "as if" it were an independent hardware box for just about all functions. It will be like you never lost your Windows box, but rather gained the Mac. You can even use your old Windows license. As far as interface between the two, it works more like two networked machines, only using one set of input devices. You can, of course, keep the old box, if you need it.

I do recommend maxing out the ram on the Mac box, as running a virtual machine does put a load on it. Going with the faster processor option would also be a good idea. For general office programs, internet, iTunes, nav programs and the occasional video editing, my 2008 Macbook with 4 gigs of ram does just fine. The Mac memory management is considerably better than Windows. Don't forget, though, that the Mac's lack of virus/spyware problems will not protect your virtual Windows machine. You'll still need to protect yourself in that side of the house.

Since many of the programs I frequently use are Access & SQL databases, I still need the Windows. This solution has worked quite well for me.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 23:16   #51

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Pelagic,

My Brother-in-law has been using Apple and MS Office for Mac working in Queensland mining industry for a decade as a consultant with no problems at all.

All mines use Windows but no problem with Office for Mac.

He originally converted when he got sick of Windows crashes and problems getting computer service in central west Queensland.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 23:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Gizmoto had a "leak" from an "insider" that says the Ipad 2 isn't the one to watch out for, and that the Ipad 3 will be the sexy one.

I'd have an Ipad myself, but I like tinkering with the software. The Apple OS is just too locked down for my taste.
I took a leak on gossip and bought the first iPad. Love it!

It has been such a great tool for me, I didnt know how much I needed it until after I bought it.

Moral is, wait around your whole life or do it now.

There will always be someting better tomorrow, today ise what matters.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 23:43   #53

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Me-
Yeah Cliff, your new Mac really is cool.
Ciff-
Yeah, it has a new blastwack slapper that can app your frige.
Me-
Nice.
Cliff-
It is over 28 times as big and fast as any PC for the same money.
Me-
Yeah, nice. I like the interface except I can't find anything.
Cliff-
Oh, it has a Genius bar. Look.
Me-
Wow, I really like that!
How much was it?
SPASH! (The sound of coffee coming out through my nose)

Umm, I could buy 8 of what I have for that.
Cliff- Yeah, but can it app your tires?
Me-
Nope
But it can write letters and emails, edit photos, browse the internet, and play movies and video games. It can even navigate the world and with my GPS it displays my position, heading and speed right on the charts. Anywhere.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 00:21   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Me-
Yeah Cliff, your new Mac really is cool.
Ciff-
Yeah, it has a new blastwack slapper that can app your frige.
Me-
Nice.
Cliff-
It is over 28 times as big and fast as any PC for the same money.
Me-
Yeah, nice. I like the interface except I can't find anything.
Cliff-
Oh, it has a Genius bar. Look.
Me-
Wow, I really like that!
How much was it?
SPASH! (The sound of coffee coming out through my nose)

Umm, I could buy 8 of what I have for that.
Cliff- Yeah, but can it app your tires?
Me-
Nope
But it can write letters and emails, edit photos, browse the internet, and play movies and video games. It can even navigate the world and with my GPS it displays my position, heading and speed right on the charts. Anywhere.
Outstanding! Lol you made my night!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34   #55

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Yea, but it can't app your tires, so what's the point?

As soon as apple products can use themselves, to save me all of the time I waste here on CF, I will buy one.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56   #56
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Not much in the ipad2, a couple of cameras

Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Love the "Amazon Germany" prank

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Let's just look at the facts we know now:
  • new A5 dual core 1 GHz CPU doubles speed
  • new graphics GPU with nine-fold (!!) graphics speed vs old model
  • unknown RAM increase but estimated from 256MB (iPad) to 512MB (iPad2)
  • Front and rear camera's with the rear one rated for 720p HD video
  • Video editing with iMovie for iPad
  • Garageband for iPad
  • new iOS
  • only 2/3 of thickness of old iPad (thinnest on the market)
  • weight reduced to 1.35 pounds
  • Best price in the market: from $499.-
  • Same screen, same 10-hour battery
  • 3-axis gyro + accelerometer + Digital compass (also WiFi-only version !!!???)
  • Internal GPS with 3G version
  • black and white versions
  • new, magnetic cover
iPad here I come

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54   #58

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Outstanding! Lol you made my night!
Cliff-In 20 years I have yet to get a virus or Trojan horse on any of my Apple's and never had a HD crash either!
Old 05-03-2011, 20:02   #59

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

I must admit..I crossed over to the fruit-side. I was teaching myself Objective-C for creating apps for my IPad and iphone using Windows VMWare and a virtual machine of Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.6 OS. It worked great for a while, but I figured if I was going to release any apps..I should get a REAL Mac machine. I have an iPad 1, use the MotionX Drive HD GPS software religiously (beats my $400 Garmin 800 series GPS) hands down and this new Macbook Pro 13 is really nice. I also have the Mac Office 2011, since I used to use Office on my windows machine frequently for work.
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35   #60
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I must admit..I crossed over to the fruit-side. I was teaching myself Objective-C for creating apps for my IPad and iphone using Windows VMWare and a virtual machine of Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.6 OS. It worked great for a while, but I figured if I was going to release any apps..I should get a REAL Mac machine. I have an iPad 1, use the MotionX Drive HD GPS software religiously (beats my $400 Garmin 800 series GPS) hands down and this new Macbook Pro 13 is really nice. I also have the Mac Office 2011, since I used to use Office on my windows machine frequently for work.
I used M$ Office for work too but now I'm happy with OpenOffice which is a free download and can do the same with the same files. For business users I think it's too light (some bugs too) but it never stopped me from getting the job don.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote