Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 19:44   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Where would one mount the 24' whip? If not on top of the mast, do the mast and rigging create 'dead' spots in the radiating pattern?
Technically yes, especially for the ground wave conpoment.
Practially no, you won't notice any bad effects especilly when most transmission paths will be on a multipath skywave.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42 View Post
If you mean using your backstay AS an antenna, it usually invloves splicing special rigging insulators near the top and bottom (out of hands reach for safety) of the backstay then wiring the center section to the autotuner.

Of course, since we are talking electricity, your back stay must be conductive. Meaning wire-rope. If you have synthetic rigging (unlikely) then forget what I just said .

Hi,

I have an antenna up forward, a stay with an insulator on both ends. I would like to use this stay. But I would also want to set my radio and tuner in the aft cabin and run a wire about 33 feet to antenna. Is there a wire I can run that far without losing signal or creating radiation along the insde of the boat? Also this is a steel hull boat.
CrystalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:37   #18

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Having your antenna distant from the transceiver is not a problem on a boat. The length of the coax run from transceiver to antenna tuner is not critical. The antenna tuner still needs to be as close to the antenna feed point as possible, however.

There is a pretty good and concise discussion of these issues, and also of antenna and grounding issues, at the end ofthe ICOM 802 owners and installation manual, which you can get from Icom at this link:
ic-m802
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 18:12   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalDawn View Post
Hi,

I have an antenna up forward, a stay with an insulator on both ends. I would like to use this stay. But I would also want to set my radio and tuner in the aft cabin and run a wire about 33 feet to antenna. Is there a wire I can run that far without losing signal or creating radiation along the insde of the boat? Also this is a steel hull boat.
Do not do this. The radiating aspects of the antenna start at the output of the tuner. In this instance the first 33 feet of the antenna will be radiating into the steel hull. Keep the wire from the tuner to where it exits the deck as short as possible (say less than 12 inches).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
..... The antenna tuner still needs to be as close to the antenna feed point as possible, however.
Yes... Yes... Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
.....There is a pretty good and concise discussion of these issues, and also of antenna and grounding issues, at the end ofthe ICOM 802 owners and installation manual, which you can get from Icom at this link:
ic-m802
See also many threads on CF about HF's and antennas.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 19:26   #20
Hal

Think surface area for each of the wires for your ground. No need to try and make a pipe out of it.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation