Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Thoughts about AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Yes, there are reference points on the target's COG predictor as well.

On the to-do-list are clever alarm filter settings for very crowded places, for example the Solent with several hundreds of boats at a summer weekend.
And perhaps profiles for different situation.

Ideas (and implementers) are always welcome

bcn
Well, that's just the perfect solution to my problem. Brilliant! Much better than the solution which I thought of. Oh, how I wish Navico would implement that in a software update for my plotter!

My next project with OpenCPN (after finding decent raster charts of the Baltic for it) is to get all my network data onto it. I have the Actisense USB interface for this purpose. Today I will try to hook it up and get the ports set correctly etc. We'll see whether AIS and DSC data get through.

Then I guess I need to get OpenCPN running on an Android tablet (the Sony waterproof one I think) which I can keep in the cockpit in lieu of the IPlod with INavX which I've been using these years.

Only problem with that is my GoFree wifi module seems to have failed, or at least, is not working at all. I'll have to fiddle with that too.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:04   #47
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
I like the Vesper design with the dedicated screen, but it seems like it might be somewhat confusing because it overlays only a base map and not detailed chart info. On the other hand, that does reduce clutter and potential confusion. How useful do you guys think it is to have the dedicated display as opposed to the chart overlay on your regular system?
David
It's intended to be less confusing and focused on being an always-on dedicated collision avoidance device. The coastal outlines are there just for situation awareness but purposely not intended to be a detailed chart. You can interface it to a chart plotter of course, but the idea is to have fine-grain filtering and alarm control on an at-a-glance display.

It declutters the display via target filtering (eg. don't display targets that aren't moving or don't pose a risk) and has multiple levels of warning & alarm criteria. A non-audible warning is triggered to indicate a vessel will come too close for comfort but an alarm is raised for a potential collision.

Here's a screenshot of a crossing situation. Whenever you touch a target, the vectors change from a fixed time period to be equal to the TCPA and a colored dot appears at CPA. Touching the up-arrows on the target information pop-up gives you the full details about the target.

jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:38   #48

Boat: Outbound 44

We use the Vesper AIS Watchmate B&W low cost display along with our Furuno Navnet3D chart plotter. The Vesper display is far easier to see the list of AIS targets, base info on the targets and to get a graphic of the predicted passing scenario. I'd say 90% of the time when we are interested in some AIS info we go to the Vesper, not the Furuno display. It is just quicker with more useful info. The display can stay on all the time because it is so low power. On passages we set the Furuno CP to Sleep mode to save power and use the Vesper. We also use the Vesper display for its anchor watch, which is very good with an external alarm. These displays are only US$325. I have one at the companionway and one at the Nav station below. Below is a pic of the simple display of the target at the predicted CPA. The Vesper has 4 alarm profiles you can setup, so that in different scenarios you can have different pre-set alarm conditions. Such as Offshore using a TCPA of say 30mins, while a Harbor profile might use CPA .25m and speed of >1kts.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A cable is a very convenient unit if you are working in knots and nautical miles. 1/10 of a nautical mile.
Yes. In British Columbia it is commonly used. I think that "a cable" being 600 feet is derived from the amount of cable on one spool from its manufacturer. Tug boat operators likely involved in bring it about.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:09   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
It's intended to be less confusing and focused on being an always-on dedicated collision avoidance device. The coastal outlines are there just for situation awareness but purposely not intended to be a detailed chart. You can interface it to a chart plotter of course, but the idea is to have fine-grain filtering and alarm control on an at-a-glance display.

It declutters the display via target filtering (eg. don't display targets that aren't moving or don't pose a risk) and has multiple levels of warning & alarm criteria. A non-audible warning is triggered to indicate a vessel will come too close for comfort but an alarm is raised for a potential collision.

Here's a screenshot of a crossing situation. Whenever you touch a target, the vectors change from a fixed time period to be equal to the TCPA and a colored dot appears at CPA. Touching the up-arrows on the target information pop-up gives you the full details about the target.

Great stuff -- where you will be at CPA is crucially important data, which I have been suffering without.

So it's not rocket science after all -- and more than just the OpenCPN people have thought of it. Why then is this information not presented on chart plotters?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So it's not rocket science after all -- and more than just the OpenCPN people have thought of it. Why then is this information not presented on chart plotters?
The major "take away" here is that software centered chart plotters that are easily updated have it because it is a new idea that they can push out easily over the internet.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:36   #52
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Then I guess I need to get OpenCPN running on an Android tablet (the Sony waterproof one I think) which I can keep in the cockpit in lieu of the IPlod with INavX which I've been using these years.
That's a bit trickier, no easy implementation on android yet so maybe the best way might be for the tablet to mirror the screen and have control of the computer down below. Which is possible. I've yet to get round to it properly but have had it working with a nexus 7 and a win7 laptop. Cubietruck is the new low power computer onboard of choice onboard so a sony xperia talking to that is one of many on the todo list.

The xperia is just lovely, waterproof, fast , works.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:01   #53

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Total flexibility and configurability (Apple product users will have mental breakdowns ).
OCPN also runs natively on Macs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our Vesper Marine 850 is the first instrument 'ON' and last 'OFF'. I too consider it indispensable. I also love its low power use, stand alone & a great anchor watch. Ours picks up the ferry in Wisconsin (60 miles) and tells us when & where the closest point of approach will be at least an hour ahead of sighting him. We also know where every CG and police boat is well ahead of seeing them. I can't confirm, but I think that the fact that they know about us by our profile, keeps them from bothering us. Even the MIB on the border only did a drive by & wave.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OCPN also runs natively on Macs.

Mark
Really?! I would think that this would be something like matter and antimatter meeting -- poof!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
That's a bit trickier, no easy implementation on android yet so maybe the best way might be for the tablet to mirror the screen and have control of the computer down below. Which is possible. I've yet to get round to it properly but have had it working with a nexus 7 and a win7 laptop. Cubietruck is the new low power computer onboard of choice onboard so a sony xperia talking to that is one of many on the todo list.

The xperia is just lovely, waterproof, fast , works.
Yes, I use the Xperia phone, and it is unbelievably good. I resisted Android for years -- I am a UNIX user from way back. This is thread drift, but tangentially relevant to the OpenCPN discussion. My way of using computers is deeply formed by UNIX, and I hate "information appliances" with a passion I have been unable to rid myself of, especially those of the Steve Jobs variety, and I can barely tolerate Windows. My previous phone was a Nokia N9 which ran Linux with a thin shell on top! That was cool. But anyway I have learned to tolerate Android, which is reasonably open and tweakable, and the Sony Xperias are superb devices, especially good for sailors since they're waterproof.

I think there's hope for OpenCPN on Android -- at least I hope so. You can make Linux run on Android devices, and OpenCPN does run on my favorite OS. See: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage. I imagine getting the ports working and getting the drivers in proper order must be fairly hellish, but maybe worth a try.

In any case, some implementation for tablets is sorely needed! I guess I could buy a Windows tablet, but I don't know of one which is remotely as nice as the Sony.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28   #57

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
Yes. In British Columbia it is commonly used. I think that "a cable" being 600 feet is derived from the amount of cable on one spool from its manufacturer. Tug boat operators likely involved in bring it about.
"Cable" as a unit of measure, was conceived during the 16thC. It was the measure of a Ship's standard anchor cable which was around 100fathoms (600'). I doubt tugboat operators had anything to do with its inception.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:34   #58

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I prefer the radar-type AIS displays offshore where the targets are not changing course, but use the chartplotter displays in winding channels to anticipate the target's course changes.

The jumping CPA in a small boat is not a problem if your display allows averaging of your GPS data, as the big ship data is pretty smooth. Unfortunately, the opposite was not true--a few years ago I discovered that my new AIS transponder was transmitting instantaneous GPS data which would make my CPA jump around on a ship's display. When I queried the manufacturer whether it was possible to transmit averaged data, they said that the jumpy data was 'required by international regulation'. Hopefully the regulators have worked on the problem since--maybe Jeff can comment.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38   #59

Quote:
Great stuff -- where you will be at CPA is crucially important data, which I have been suffering without.

My Raymarine e7 & AIS650 give me the CPA
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
My Raymarine e7 & AIS650 give me the CPA
All AIS displays give you the CPA That's not what we were talking about.

Tags
ais