Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 09:59   #286

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Thoughts about AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In Coastal Explorer, the list is dynamic with the ships filtered by closest CPA/TPA on top. These aren't necessarily the closest ones to you. If a ship triggers your filters, the text turns red (as does the icon). Anchored and non-moving ships are a different color. Clicking on any ship in the list highlights it on the graphics.

I find it very useful and a missed feature on the NN3D.

Mark
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 19:07   #287

Boat: Catalina 470

Dockhead, et al,
I had given up on this thread last week, as there was little new info/knowledge being passed on....
But, now I'm humbled by just that....new info/knowledge!!
So, thank you!!

Please understand that I intend nothing disparaging at all here.....not against you, your choices, etc....
BUT...

But, when I read this.....I wonder what salesman/marketer kool aide did you drink???
Progress does NOT mean you must put up with systems that "crash"!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The touch version is intensely cheapened -- light plastic case, cheapened everywhere possible.

It is obvious to me that the new plotters are not designed with a designed useful life of 10 years, like the old ones. I guess this is ok -- they are really computers now (with built in hard drives and everything) and will be obsolete in shorter periods of time than used to be the case.

Another downside is that also like computers, they crash more often....
The Zeus touch crashes fairly regularly, sometimes needing the power to be cut to it to get it back on line.
I would NOT accept this as normal....and like Mark, I'd demand the issues be resolved forthwith, or get my money back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Our Furuno has never crashed in the 3 years we have owned it, nor has it gone funky in anyway during operation.
Neither have my Raymarine MFD's!!

I would consider a chartplotter that crashed regularly as defective and have it back in the manufacturer's hands for repair/replacement/money back ASAP. If they told me it was normal to crash even occasionally, I would simply ask for my money back and go elsewhere.
As would I!!

I don't buy into regular crashing of anything as an integral component of advancement or progress. I don't put up with computers or other consumer devices that do so (I just checked and my macbookpro has been running for 3 months now without a reboot)
No Mac here...but, I shut down my HP laptop second week of May (during an airport delay), but other than that, it too has been running for months without issue/crash of any kind!!

- and I definitely would not put up with a navigation device that did so.
I'm with 'ya here 100%!!

Again Dockhead, nothing personal here....just my different take on things electronic....(and FYI, I've made my living in the electronics now for just over 30 years...)
"regular crashes" are NOT normal, and are NOT acceptable to most...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 21:07   #288
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Now put this in the context of the debate of the regulators how to aboard the question of electronic charting system (ECS) and electronic charts as the sole media for navigation for NON-Solas vessels or pleasure crafts - no more paper charts any longer.

The autopilot that turns 90 degrees because of a faulty plotter software.....

Do not like the idea that we should accept buggy systems (or get used to them).

Hubert

You are forgetting the typical safeguards that are built into these systems.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25-06-2014, 14:07   #289

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Dockhead, et al,
I had given up on this thread last week, as there was little new info/knowledge being passed on....
But, now I'm humbled by just that....new info/knowledge!!
So, thank you!!

Please understand that I intend nothing disparaging at all here.....not against you, your choices, etc....
BUT...

But, when I read this.....I wonder what salesman/marketer kool aide did you drink???
Progress does NOT mean you must put up with systems that "crash"!!! I would NOT accept this as normal....and like Mark, I'd demand the issues be resolved forthwith, or get my money back!!

Again Dockhead, nothing personal here....just my different take on things electronic....(and FYI, I've made my living in the electronics now for just over 30 years...)
"regular crashes" are NOT normal, and are NOT acceptable to most...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
I agreed with that already a few pages back . . .

But what practically should I do?

Re-install my old Raytheon RL80CRC+? But I flogged that already on FleaBay . . . To a very happy older gentleman . . . Now I know why!

I have lodged numerous complaints with Navico tech support, getting only incredibly idiotic and utterly unhelpful responses (there will be a separate thread about that . . . ).

Meanwhile, one crash a month does not make the device unusable. All hopes are now on the next firmware release . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 03:13   #290
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Here's a quick plotter view of how the Raymarine e series shows AIS data and vectors. It seems to work well, easy to understand. You can see one ship will pass ahead and one behind, which is exactly what just happened
AIS data boxes and vectors are turned on and off individually. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411035142.493341.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	88380
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 07:27   #291
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I wish opencpn would do that vector thing. I still find it difficult to see just from the screen if the ship is meabt to pass astern or infront. Yes, theres little yellow lines, but they are not instantly recognisable in my brain.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:01   #292
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

openCpn does it really well, try clicking on the target and displaying vector, it shows really clearly CPA and passing ahead or astern
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:27   #293

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
openCpn does it really well, try clicking on the target and displaying vector, it shows really clearly CPA and passing ahead or astern
I am jumping in to this thread to try to get some advice for those who are using OpenCPN. I just bought a MacBook Air laptop and I loaded OpenCPN for Mac and I have a BU353 Gobalsat USB GPS plugged into my MacBook $33 on Ebay. It is working perfect! Over the last three months I have been back and forth from Europe to the States 4 times aboard a huge car ship as a marine engineer and the GPS is working perfect. I just ordered four more BU 353's from Ebay to bring back to Thailand with me.

Last week I got the bad news from my wife in Thailand that our sailboat in Phuket now must have AIS fitted before October 1st or I will be faced with a 6 month prison sentence! I will leave this ship in Texas on October 2nd and fly to Los Angeles to wait for my flight to Phuket leaving on October 8th. Under the new law in Thailand every foreign flagged boat visiting Thailand must have at minimum a Class B AIS transponder and it must be turned on the moment the boat is under way.

I have been looking on line aboard the ship which is passing now over the Grand Banks of Canada, for my first AIS but I do not want to spend a lot of money and I want something very simple. I have been looking at one from Digital Yachts Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead It is a shame I did not get the news from Thailand one day earlier or I may have been able to get ashore in Southampton, England an buy one over there. The problem is that in America, the colonial government does not allow one to program one's own AIS. I have a US documented sailboat in Thailand and I have a FCC radio license with an American MMSI number which I have never used. In America, no company is allowed to ship an AIS transponder to a US address until it is programmed by a licensed FCC technician. However, I am stuck on this ship until 6 days before my flight to Thailand and the price of the AIS in Thailand is more than double the price in the US. I just want to buy a simple AIS that will plug into my MacBook and I guess I will need a VHF splitter as well I was hoping that I can interface my BU353 mouse type GPS through the MacBook and connect the digital yacht transceiver which I hope will pick up the GPS NEMA signal and transmit through the antenna splitter to the VHF antenna on top of the mast. IF there is anyone who can help me to find a fully programmable AIS that is capable of doing this please contact me by email at thaisail (at) gmail.com and offer your advice. Our satellite internet connection aboard this ship is about as slow as dial up so getting on this forum took almost 20 minutes!

The problem I have is that unless I order the AIS on line today and jump through all the hoops that the FCC has put in front of me (filling out forms, emailing them etc. etc.), I will not receive my new AIS in California before my flight on the 8th to Thailand. The only other alternative is to try to pick up an AIS in Singapore because I will fly on October 15 from Phuket to Bali to join a friend on his boat in one of the Indonesia rallies and sail with him to Singapore until November 1st. My only fear is that the price for an AIS in Singapore may be exponentially higher than in the states on line. But my other concern is quality. I want something that will work good on my MacBook with OpenCPN or a Windows computer with MaxSea and be reliable. Since I am being forced into buying one, I just want to make sure that it will work and be user friendly. If anyone out there can recommend a good AIS that is small, cheap and reliable, please, please let me know as soon as possible.
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:34   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisail View Post
I want something that will work good on my MacBook with OpenCPN or a Windows computer with MaxSea and be reliable. Since I am being forced into buying one, I just want to make sure that it will work and be user friendly. If anyone out there can recommend a good AIS that is small, cheap and reliable, please, please let me know as soon as possible.
Consider:

1. Google AIS dongle

2. try Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub

Good luck, safe flight.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:51   #295

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Consider:

1. Google AIS dongle

2. try Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub

Good luck, safe flight.
Thank you for your very swift answer, but my problem is that I must have a class B AIS transmitter not a receiver. I believe a "dongle" will only receive the AIS data out there. But Thailand is going to put any boat owner in jail for 6 months who moves their boat with out transmitting on AIS. So, what I need is a transmitter and receiver and that is the problem because the US government will not ship an AIS Class B transponder to a US address unless it has been programmed with the boats MMSI number that is on my ship's radio license. And this AIS must be ordered today in order to receive it in California in time for my flight to Thailand.
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 16:40   #296

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

If you can get a copy of your FCC license emailed to you, you can email it on to Defender. Buy it from them and have it delivered to texas. You have plenty of time; they will program it as soon as they have the copy of the license and the form they have you fill out. I used to program AIS transponders all the time, it is not a long process. I'm not FCC licensed, btw, just worked the electronics desk.

But i've read elsewhere that Thailand is backtracking quickly on this AIS requirement, so I would check into that more closely.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 17:40   #297

Boat: Valiant 42

If you know your FCC FRN then you can log onto FCC.gov and get a PDF copy of your license with MMSI without email. It takes a couple minutes.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 21:42   #298

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Here is a survey of available AIS CLASS B transponders:

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: AIS Class-B Transponder Round Up

It may help you decide which one to get. If you want one with MacOS potential for programming it, look at the Digital Yacht AIT 2000
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 21:52   #299
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Here is a survey of available AIS CLASS B transponders:

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: AIS Class-B Transponder Round Up

It may help you decide which one to get. If you want one with MacOS potential for programming it, look at the Digital Yacht AIT 2000
Or the Vesper Marine AIS transponders which can be programmed, monitored and remote controlled wirelessly via Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone or iPad (Android coming very soon).
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 04:49   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisail View Post
I am jumping in to this thread to try to get some advice for those who are using OpenCPN. I just bought a MacBook Air laptop and I loaded OpenCPN for Mac and I have a BU353 Gobalsat USB GPS plugged into my MacBook $33 on Ebay. It is working perfect! Over the last three months I have been back and forth from Europe to the States 4 times aboard a huge car ship as a marine engineer and the GPS is working perfect. I just ordered four more BU 353's from Ebay to bring back to Thailand with me.

Last week I got the bad news from my wife in Thailand that our sailboat in Phuket now must have AIS fitted before October 1st or I will be faced with a 6 month prison sentence! I will leave this ship in Texas on October 2nd and fly to Los Angeles to wait for my flight to Phuket leaving on October 8th. Under the new law in Thailand every foreign flagged boat visiting Thailand must have at minimum a Class B AIS transponder and it must be turned on the moment the boat is under way.

I have been looking on line aboard the ship which is passing now over the Grand Banks of Canada, for my first AIS but I do not want to spend a lot of money and I want something very simple. I have been looking at one from Digital Yachts Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead It is a shame I did not get the news from Thailand one day earlier or I may have been able to get ashore in Southampton, England an buy one over there. The problem is that in America, the colonial government does not allow one to program one's own AIS. I have a US documented sailboat in Thailand and I have a FCC radio license with an American MMSI number which I have never used. In America, no company is allowed to ship an AIS transponder to a US address until it is programmed by a licensed FCC technician. However, I am stuck on this ship until 6 days before my flight to Thailand and the price of the AIS in Thailand is more than double the price in the US. I just want to buy a simple AIS that will plug into my MacBook and I guess I will need a VHF splitter as well I was hoping that I can interface my BU353 mouse type GPS through the MacBook and connect the digital yacht transceiver which I hope will pick up the GPS NEMA signal and transmit through the antenna splitter to the VHF antenna on top of the mast. IF there is anyone who can help me to find a fully programmable AIS that is capable of doing this please contact me by email at thaisail (at) gmail.com and offer your advice. Our satellite internet connection aboard this ship is about as slow as dial up so getting on this forum took almost 20 minutes!

The problem I have is that unless I order the AIS on line today and jump through all the hoops that the FCC has put in front of me (filling out forms, emailing them etc. etc.), I will not receive my new AIS in California before my flight on the 8th to Thailand. The only other alternative is to try to pick up an AIS in Singapore because I will fly on October 15 from Phuket to Bali to join a friend on his boat in one of the Indonesia rallies and sail with him to Singapore until November 1st. My only fear is that the price for an AIS in Singapore may be exponentially higher than in the states on line. But my other concern is quality. I want something that will work good on my MacBook with OpenCPN or a Windows computer with MaxSea and be reliable. Since I am being forced into buying one, I just want to make sure that it will work and be user friendly. If anyone out there can recommend a good AIS that is small, cheap and reliable, please, please let me know as soon as possible.
why not order online from outside of the US and get it shipped direct to your wife in Thailand.

I buy much of gear from Marine Electronic Service Ltd and they have shipped both to me at home or direct to Greece. Maybe you will have to make a bank transfer for payment rather than using a card to ship it to Thailand.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais