Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 17:55   #166

Boat: 1967 Starcraft 16' - 1961 Mercury 70hp
Bluetooth is being used with Sugar:
OLPC News Forum: Installing Ubuntu using compressed files

You can cut and paste using Sugar:
http://www.wiki.laptop.org/go/Scroll...Copy_and_Paste
tyrntlzrdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:36   #167

Paul, The Q2D14 is the current boot firmware version. You can see it at bootup on the second line. Some of the battery charging and power saving capability were improved in one of these upgrades. Hope the link to the Bluetooth works out. Thanks for the help, I'll be putting Ubuntu in now.

Alan
agkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:51   #168

Wish you guys would stick with Sugar so I could follow along.

Correct link for cut and paste is:
Scroll-Wheel Copy and Paste - OLPC

You should be able to turn off auto update with:

su -l
echo none > /security/update-stream
Old 08-04-2008, 20:05   #169

I'll probably be using Sugar for some time, the Ubuntu install will take some time. I'm hoping there is not much difference in how activities operate between the two and that I can switch back and forth without too much difficulty...right Paul?
Old 08-04-2008, 20:40   #170

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by agkirk View Post
I did try the wine path and got a "wine: command not found". Looks like I still have about 55% of the FLASH unused. I think I am running 653, but I've forgotten how to get the version out of terminal. This whole problem has got to be something I did wrong when I was moving the .wav files using Midnight Commander. That is another thing that doesn't run out of the terminal. Using locate mc I see it is as /home/olpc/.mc . When I try to run out of the [olpc@xo-10-C8-41 ~] directory it get mc: command not found. What is the difference between the use of / and \ as separators?
While I don't have an XO, you can try the command "uname -a", which should tell you what kernel you're running, at least.

The slash (/) is the directory separator. The backslash (\) is used as an "escape" character, which removes any special meaning of certain characters.

For example, if you type "ls -a" at the terminal command line, the command interpreter sees the "-" as a command line switch - that is, run the command "ls" with the switch (or option) "a", meaning to tell "ls" to list all the files in the current directory - even the hidden ones (ones beginning with a period - "."). If you type "ls \-a", the backslash removes the special status of "-", that is, it tells the "ls" command you want it to list a file called "-a".

Another common switch/option of the "ls" command is "l", or long format. "ls -l" will show something similar to

[jon@bigmax ~]$ ls -l
total 18180
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jon jon 19 2007-11-30 10:03 autoexec.bat
drwxrwxr-x 2 jon jon 4096 2008-02-06 19:13 bin
drwxrwxr-x 5 jon jon 4096 2008-01-01 16:08 builds
drwxrwxr-x 2 jon jon 4096 2008-02-09 19:30 CD

It shows information about file rights, individual and group ownership, size, edit date/time, and file name. The example above is from my home directory on my Fedora 8 Linux PC.

Way back when Microsoft was creating DOS, they decided to use the "/" as a command line switch to differentiate it from the then-popular CP/M operating system and from Unix. And when they finally got around to using hierarchical directories in DOS 2.0, they used the backslash (\) in place of Unix's forward slash (/). And from what I remember, DOS (and now the CMD window in NT/XP/Vista) doesn't use the concept of an escape character like "\"in Unix and Linux. We've been confused/cursed ever since...

When you try to run "mc" from your home directory (that's what the tilde "~" signifies), it won't be found. Why? Unlike DOS, Unix/Linus doesn't default to looking in the current directory (~, or home, in this case). It only checks the $PATH environment variable to see what directories to search. It's a protection against self-imposed stupidity. You need to be explicit. If you change the command string from just "mc" to "/home/oplc/.mc/mc", it should work. Or you can use the tilde, as in "~/.mc/mc".

And to further confuse you, the dot (.) and double dot (..) also have special meaning. When used with directory separators, the dot indicates the current directory, and the double dot represents the parent of the current directory.

So in your case, lets say your command prompt says [olpc@xo-10-C8-41 ~]. That means you're in the "/home/oplc" directory. If you type "ls .", it's the same thing as just "ls" - list the files in the current directory. You could be explicit and type "ls /home/oplc" and get the same thing. If you type "ls ..", then you're telling "ls" to list the files in the parent of the current directory - "/home". You could get fancy and try "ls ../..", which means list the files in the parent of the parent of the current directory. Which in this case, means the parent of the parent of "/home/oplc", which happens to be "/", or the root directory.

Clear as mud?

If so, try looking into the "bash" command shell (the "Bourne again shell, a descendant of the popular Bourne Shell, or "sh") here.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 21:07   #171

Wow! Thanks and I've bookmarked that bash link, that's real handy. The history is also enlightening. Thanks. So, what do you think changes when running under the 656 kernel? I could do a mc command from the home dir in 653 and it knew the path to .mc/mc.

I tried using the /home/olpc/.mc/mc with no luck. It appears the .exe for all the add ins are located in some other area. You mentioned the $PATH environment variable. I suspect this is where the difference between the two kernels resides and the 656 version doesn't contain the history of 653. Any reason I can't copy that data to the SD card and replace the $PATH in 656? And where might I find $PATH ?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30   #172

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Thanks for all the information and links guys. I was beginning to think Alan and I were last survivors on this thread.

Yes its easy to flip back back and forth between Sugar and Ubuntu with a just a reboot. Of course you won't have the activities that are built in to Sugar on Ubuntu but you can probably find them and install them. Not sure if there is version of Midnight Commander for Ubuntu but probably there is.

I have a question that some of you Linux experts might know the answer to: When I'm on Sugar I can issue a df command and see in the output all my SD cards and the internal 1G flash drive. But when I'm on Ubuntu, which I have on an SD card, if I issue the df command, I don't see the SD card that Ubuntu is on or the internal flash card. For instance here is the output from Sugar:
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
mtd0 1048576 491112 557464 47% /
tmpfs 35676 0 35676 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 4022256 1003012 3019244 25% /media/KINGSTON
/dev/mmcblk0p1 7751292 1030680 6326860 15% /media/OLPCRoot

The first line is the internal 1G flash card and the last is the 8G SD card with Ubuntu.

Here is the output from Ubuntu:
varrun 118924 56 118868 1% /var/run
varlock 118924 0 118924 0% /var/lock
udev 118924 40 118884 1% /dev
devshm 35676 0 35676 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 35676 0 35676 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 4022256 1003016 3019240 25% /media/KINGSTON

I' not sure what the first 5 lines are but I don't see the 8G SD card that I booted from with Ubuntu on it, nor the internl flash card. Any ideas? Thanks

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 09:01   #173

I going to upload a new new copy of the simulator V3.0.0 this afternoon. It has some significant improvements, including being able to use it in non-simulation mode. In this mode it will receive real AIS/GPS messages and they can be sent to a navigation program as well as another device such as a radar/charplotter.

The attached document shows some of its uses as well as some screen shots.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: doc AISGPS_SIM.doc (283.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 14-04-2008, 10:54   #174

Boat: Dufour 35
Phiggins
Your output from using df on ubuntu is strange, it should show what physical disc is mounted on "/" (the file system root) ! Can you post the output from: "df /" and "mount" ?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 04:53   #175

The new simulator has been loaded: Navigation Aids

Cagney, Here is the otput of df /:

- 7751292 1034716 6322824 15% /

The output of mount:
olpc@OLPC:~$ mount
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,size=15%)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Now that df / does show my 8G card.
Old 16-04-2008, 11:13   #176

Boat: Dufour 35
Phiggins:
I´m reporting this as a bug to Ubuntu.
Can you mail me the output from:
"apt-cache policy coreutils" and
"lsb_release -rd"
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 12:02   #177

Thomas,
Here is cut and paste:
olpc@OLPC:~$ apt-cache policy coreutils
coreutils:
Installed: 5.97-5.3ubuntu3
Candidate: 5.97-5.3ubuntu3
Version table:
*** 5.97-5.3ubuntu3 0
500 Index of / gutsy/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
olpc@OLPC:~$ lsb _release -rd
bash: lsb: command not found
olpc@OLPC:~$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 7.10
Release: 7.10

Thanks for your help

Paul
Old 17-04-2008, 13:22   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
As for the problem loading, I found that when I used the method that Opera uses it works much faster so I have attached those. Of course you will have to remove the old activities (./xo-get.py remove SeaClear) and then install the new ones (./xo-get.py install /media/XXXXX/SeaClear-3.xo ) and also go back in and modify the startup command in the SeaClearActivity.py to point to your SD drive. If you use these the dummy activity, the one with the activity icon, will be completely blank.

Paul
I managed to install wine, and SeaClear without to much trouble.
I ran into trouble installing the SeaClear/MapCal activities which should add a icon to my home page.
I have xo-get installed. Is this the same as xo-get.py?

I can open Seaclear using terminal, but do not know how to open MapCal in terminal so I can attempt to add Map/Charts.

Any help appreciated.

Jeff
Old 17-04-2008, 17:43   #179

I figured out how to open MapCal in terminal, but no luck with the activities. No such file or directory.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:07   #180

If you enter: dir
do you see: xo-get.py ??
If so enter: ./xo-get.py
do you see...
xo-get 1.2.3
-------------
http://
(etc...)

???