Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 06:15   #31

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44
Re: The Wirie

I have the Wirie and am interested in what it takes to make it wireless. I notice that Wirie makes a wireless update for $150. and curious what makes it wireless and can I effect this modification myself with parts readily available.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 27-10-2012, 08:03   #32

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I notice that Wirie makes a wireless update for $150. and curious what makes it wireless
The Wirie AP is an Alfa R36 access point. Google shows $46.

Since you have the Wirie installed already it would be easiest to mount the AP in your cabin as opposed to the case mounted outside.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:40   #33

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Thanks kmaz - I have in fact ordered the Alfa R36 from Amazon. I would prefer to mount the AP in the Wirie Box so I dont have to run a usb cable into the boat. I am hoping it will fit in the box. We are leaving the states in a couple of weeks and ultimately headed to the Southern Caribbean and hope to have good equip to get wifi signals where they may be available. Being connected will make life much better for us.
Old 28-11-2012, 12:26   #34

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I returned this product and was told that it was outside Mark's 10-day return policy. Mark says that he is sending it back to me and not refunding my money. I cannot use it, do not like, do not want it.
Not having a car (car was t-boned), I got a rental and returned it to the nearest UPS when I could.
So, I spent $42 in shipping and will not get a refund.
Ten days is too short, in my opinion. Life matters get in the way of catering to strict policies such as this.
We'll talk about said policy when Mark shows up. And I know he will.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:59   #35

I had a similar experience. Ordered a Wirie and the unit was defective. Was offered a replacement but preferred a return which was agreed to. Unfortunately, as cruisers do, I was out cruising and couldn't get it physically to them until a little over a month had passed. They did fix the unit but no refund for something I don't want.
Old 29-11-2012, 13:52   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Unit was returned damaged.

We will always work with someone in delay in shipping a return back to us, but some level of communication is expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I returned this product and was told that it was outside Mark's 10-day return policy. Mark says that he is sending it back to me and not refunding my money. I cannot use it, do not like, do not want it.
Not having a car (car was t-boned), I got a rental and returned it to the nearest UPS when I could.
So, I spent $42 in shipping and will not get a refund.
Ten days is too short, in my opinion. Life matters get in the way of catering to strict policies such as this.
We'll talk about said policy when Mark shows up. And I know he will.
Old 29-11-2012, 13:53   #37
Marine Service Provider

Unit was also returned damaged.

We were happy to take the return back, but we could not once we saw the returned product.

We also offered to refund the cost difference between the full price, and the parts that were damaged, but never received a reply back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaz View Post
I had a similar experience. Ordered a Wirie and the unit was defective. Was offered a replacement but preferred a return which was agreed to. Unfortunately, as cruisers do, I was out cruising and couldn't get it physically to them until a little over a month had passed. They did fix the unit but no refund for something I don't want.
Old 29-11-2012, 14:27   #38

Mark, I find it interesting the two folks responding here who have attempted returns were accused of sending damaged units. I cannot speak for Snort but can assure anyone reading this my unit was most certainly not damaged when it was sent to you. It was only connected to my 12v panel to test and was found to be defective. It was never functioning, how could it be used/damaged? If you like I can share a photo of the unit in the original delivery carton on the morning it was returned to you. If your assertion is the non-functioning unit was damaged in shipping I fail to see how charging me $75 to replace an antenna is a reasonable deal.
Old 29-11-2012, 14:55   #39

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I sent the wirie back packaged as it was sent to me. I also sent it insured via UPS.
I do not believe the unit was received damaged and was not told that it was when I asked for a refund.
Crappy product (except for the adapter, which can be found in the $25-$30 range on amazon, etc...
and crappier business practices.
Yes, I can say that, given my interactions and a little inductive reasoning.
Old 30-11-2012, 04:09   #40
Marine Service Provider

Where and how it was damaged, we do not know obviously. If it was damaged in transit, and you insured your package, you need to file a claim with the shipper and get refunded for that damage. This is your responsibility, as it always is.

We do know you did not package the this unit carefully, with loose parts inside the box which may have caused the damage.

There is no way we can take responsibility for damage to the product when it is returned to us.

We were quite accommodating to accept your return after 4+ weeks.

This is my last post on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaz View Post
Mark, I find it interesting the two folks responding here who have attempted returns were accused of sending damaged units. I cannot speak for Snort but can assure anyone reading this my unit was most certainly not damaged when it was sent to you. It was only connected to my 12v panel to test and was found to be defective. It was never functioning, how could it be used/damaged? If you like I can share a photo of the unit in the original delivery carton on the morning it was returned to you. If your assertion is the non-functioning unit was damaged in shipping I fail to see how charging me $75 to replace an antenna is a reasonable deal.
Old 30-11-2012, 04:19   #41
Marine Service Provider

We stated that there were cosmetic issues with your returned product. What this translates to is damage on the antenna and the waterproof enclosure.

Here is a portion of the email that was sent to you:

Sent on 11/28/2012:

"We cannot accept returns over this time period since the unit is used outdoors. We cannot re-sell a unit like this. And all units we have tried to take back over the 10 days are returned with cosmetic issues (as yours was).

So, we are happy to test and confirm proper functionality, and will then return to you. If you would like to supply us with a new address, please do, otherwise it will be returned to the original shipping address for the order.

Your order was received by you on 10/25/2012. If you had contacted us prior to returning (also required), we would have informed you of the situation and told you it could not be returned. If you had contacted us within the 10 days of the return policy, we would have worked with you to resolve the issue. We understand you may not have been able to get it into the mail, but you could have contacted us to discuss the situation."

We have no problem making exceptions for people that are unable to get a return in the mail immediately, and have done so before. But we do expect a level of communication with the customer so we are work together and resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

There are plenty of posts about people using and being happy with our products. One customer's attempt to slander us is unfortunate, but inevitable after years of being in business.

This is our last post on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I sent the wirie back packaged as it was sent to me. I also sent it insured via UPS.
I do not believe the unit was received damaged and was not told that it was when I asked for a refund.
Crappy product (except for the adapter, which can be found in the $25-$30 range on amazon, etc...
and crappier business practices from an unscrupulous seller.
Yes, I can say that, given my interactions and a little inductive reasoning.
Old 30-11-2012, 07:39   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Both sides have had their say and this thread is now closed.
Closed Thread