Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 10:55   #106

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan
Thats great but where do I buy that? Did not see any info on where to purchase, sorry if Im a little dense on this.
Cactus Marine and Defender sell them. This is for use aboard only. It requires around $550 of equipment plus installation. If you want to see targets in your office, buy the "ShipfinderHD" App from the AppStore. That should do the trick...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 11:23   #107

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: The Marine iPad . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Cactus Marine and Defender sell them. This is for use aboard only. It requires around $550 of equipment plus installation. If you want to see targets in your office, buy the "ShipfinderHD" App from the AppStore. That should do the trick...

Thanks will look on defender. AIS is on my list for this year and this reciever seems like the way to go since it offers the wifi capability.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 13:37   #108
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes the DigitalYacht iAIS is a good option to get AIS targets plotted on your PC/Mac or iPad. You can use the free iAIS app to plot targets relative to your position. Use iNavX if you want the targets plotted on a marine chart. I should also note iNavX can use the free SiiTech AIS server which has coverage in many areas. PM me if you have further questions about iNavX or AIS on iPad/iPhone.
Old 14-04-2011, 13:39   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
Yes the DigitalYacht iAIS is a good option to get AIS targets plotted on your PC/Mac or iPad. You can use the free iAIS app to plot targets relative to your position. Use iNavX if you want the targets plotted on a marine chart. I should also note iNavX can use the free SiiTech AIS server which has coverage in many areas. PM me if you have further questions about iNavX or AIS on iPad/iPhone.

Thanks. Will need to wait till I install the AIS reciever first.
Old 18-04-2011, 14:19   #110

Looking at the Digital Yacht AIS recievers at Defender. There is a 100 and 200Pro version. Looks like the 100 would be just fine but am I missing something? I intend to have a chartplotter/radar at the helm on which I would like to display AIS (looking at garmin touchscreen 8"). I would also like to send AIS info to my laptop below decks and while were at it see them on my iPad just because its cool.
Old 18-04-2011, 14:27   #111
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want direct wireless connectivity to an iPad or iPhone then you would choose the DigitalYacht iAIS receiver. This unit can also connected wirelessly or wired to a PC or Mac.
Old 18-04-2011, 15:18   #112

Is there a version of iAIS that is a transceiver and not just a receiver?
Mark_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 23:42   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S. View Post
Is there a version of iAIS that is a transceiver and not just a receiver?
In this case you are better getting an AIS transponder unit and a WiFi NMEA transmitter Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:59   #114

Cruising Bahamas with iPad iNavX

We just bought a boat in Fla of Nov last year and are cruising the Bahamas for a year or two. The boat had a Raymarine FL80C installed and I wanted a backup. After looking at various portables in the $400 to $700 range, I decided to search the Apps in my iPad.
I came up with iNavX for $49 and a Navionics chart of the Bahamas for #10 bucks.
I installed them and they worked great. Easy to use.
After about an hour out of Stuart, Fla, I quit using the Raymairine and have not turned it on for 3 Months. I use my iPad on my flybridge all the time.

As a backup to my backup, I purchased MacENC for my Macbook. It appears to be the same basic program and charts as iNavx. They both use Navionics charts.

I only have one problem and concern. The Navionics charts of the Bahamas are not detailed enough. I used Nobeltec and MaxSea on my other boats and they were far better.
Last week, I was traveling and following another boat from Stanial Cay.
Our charted course had a min of 13ft of water. He got on the radio and said he was stopping because the dept had dropped to 5 ft. He was using a Raymarine chart plotter which must have been using Navionics charts, because the showed the same info as mine.

The paper Explorer Charts clearly showed a sand bar in our path.
Another poster said somewhere else, that some charts are better in different locations in the world and Explorer Charts are the Gold Standard in the Bahamas.
I agree that Explorer Charts are the best in the Bahamas. I used Nobeltec in the Bahamas for three years and never found an error or problem.
I read that Jeppensen has the exclusive on the Explorer digital charts.

I've made up my mind, when I get back to the States, the Raymarine's are going to the junk pile and a Computer System running Nobeltec is going to be installed.
Also, I just read that Jeppensen in releasing an iPad app for marine Navigation. I'm on they release notification and will install the first day I'm on good wi-fi here in the bahamas.
To get more info, here's the link
Charts for Mobile Devices | Light Marine | Jeppesen
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:54   #115
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
That requires an internet connection just to transfer files between two devices sitting in front of you which is just a silly solution that you have to resort to.

This should not need happen when you have a choice of wifi and bluetooth on both device. Apple should have on iOS a "native" way of transferring between devices.

Short of emailing it or going via itunes, I am yet to figure out how to transfer a photo or video from my iPhone to my iPad. This is just dumb on Apples front.
Do you have older equipment? My iPhone 4 and iPad 2 pair via bluetooth.
Old 23-04-2011, 06:29   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

Do you have older equipment? My iPhone 4 and iPad 2 pair via bluetooth.
I am behind the times with a 3GS & iPad1.

I can only see to be able to pair them via bt only when the 3GS is running as a personal hotspot. It gives me internet access but I still can't see a way of transferring files between them :-/
Old 23-04-2011, 07:38   #117

Boat: Custom Steel Ketch, 52ft

Check out the new i-mux from Brookhouse - WiFi NMEA 0183 multiplexer for the iPad see link

iMux - The Brookhouse NMEA 0183 Wifi multiplexer

"The Apple iPad with iNavx application offers powerful marine navigation capabilities, using Navionics charts, at a fraction of the cost of a chart plotter. Features include AIS target plotting and full marine instrument support. However, the only way NMEA 0183 data from AIS, external GPS and instruments can be input by the iPad is via WiFi (wireless LAN). To unlock the full potential of the iPad for navigation, Brookhouse now offers the iMux, the NMEA 0183 multiplexer with WiFi output."

I have no connection with the Brookhouse company but I have used their AIS Mux over a number of years.

I am currently setting up an ipad2 and the Brookhouse imux as a repeat/backup nav computer to my laptop at the nav station, I will combine output NMEA data from the Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS, B&G instruments, DSC from radios, autopilot, Garmin GPS etc etc and make a combined output available for input to the ipad via bluetooth. Also to other bluetooth devices.

In theory the ipad will allow me to keep an eye on things from around the boat when off watch and also in the pilot house if required.

Scripting in the mux will allow selection of which GPS to use, the Watchmate has an internal GPS, plus the Garmin, plus another backup eg Bad Elf so it also introduces some redundancy should one fail.

I once new a women who drove me to drink, but I didn't have the good manners to thank her.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:11   #118

Boat: Custom Steel Ketch, 52ft
Re: Cruising Bahamas with iPad iNavX

If there are significant differences between C-Map and other packages do you have any reasons why ? The following is quoted from the iNavx FAQ.

"Are the marine charts and maps the latest editions?

Yes since they download directly from an official chart server. They can be updated at any time.X-Traverse users will be notified of any chart updates"

The chart packages available for iNavx are modestly priced considering the large areas that some of them cover eg. Navionics 34XG Pacific Islands and Japan for $29.99.

Can anyone comment on the quality of these packages versus CMAP for example ?? Screenshots would be nice

I once new a women who drove me to drink, but I didn't have the good manners to thank her.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:42   #119
cruiser

In general, I think that C-Map chart data is better than Navionics. This is very much true in the Bahamas. I made some comparison screen shots on another CF thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-52540.html

It shows the difference pretty dramatically.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 20:35   #120

I wanted to purchase the iPad app "Charts & Tides" but cannot find out what maps I can use with the App in the Bahamas. I don't like Navionics which I have now in iNavx.
Does anyone know what Bahama maps are advailable for the App?
Thanks
Glenn
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad