Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 15:39   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Marine iPad . . .

I doubt the new iPad will have a GPS chip in the WiFi only model. This is because the new Verizon iPhone 4 has an integrated cell radio/GPS receiver chip. This cell radio handles both CDMA and GSM cell services. So potentially the new iPad 3G could work on both AT&T and Verizon.
Old 02-03-2011, 13:21   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
CRAP! the Admiral bought me an Apple gift cert for x-mas!
After the announcement of the iPad 2 today Apple put the older iPads on sale at $100 off at Apple stores but it sounds to me like the new iPad 2 is they way to go. Your going to be very happy with the upgrades, the list prices for the new iPad are the same as the old iPad.

iPad 2 vs. original iPad: what's changed?
By Vlad Savov posted Mar 2, 2011 1:25PM

Shockingly enough, Apple found plenty of things to tweak and update on its spectacularly successful iPad. Alright, so the screen resolution didn't improve and we didn't get that ultra-speedy Thunderbolt connector on board, but the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter while somehow becoming more powerful -- a 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 SOC lurks within. Check out our full breakdown of the key spec differences in the chart after the break. It's great fun, we promise!

P.S. - While you're poring over these stats, don't forget that Apple's decided to slap a $100 price cut on the original iPads, making them eminently more desirable today than they were yesterday.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:26   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Yeah for the Benji, I'll go with the 2.... Can anyone say pre-order?
Old 02-03-2011, 13:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Yeah for the Benji, I'll go with the 2.... Can anyone say pre-order?
Get the 3G model, it has the gps chip for navigation.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:33   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh most definitely! Thanks.....
Here's the link to see the poop.... That link is being hit real hard, so it might be slow..... Or it could be my 3G connection on the MacBook/iPhone
Old 02-03-2011, 16:53   #66

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Did they announce the data plan options?
Is it still att&t or do we have options such as verizon?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:57   #67

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Not everybody gets a piece of the cake. Verizon, AT&T to benefit from iPad 2 | Dayton Business Journal
Old 02-03-2011, 17:18   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The dilemma now is AT&T or Verizon? I'm thinking as I have an AT&T iPhone, I might get Verizon (unless their plan is silly), then I have 2 totally separate networks. If Verizon gives me a signal, great... If in a Verizon dead spot and AT&T works, there's always MyWi to run the iPad... Opinions?
Old 02-03-2011, 18:21   #69

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

At&t has been flawless for me. It only costs 25 bucks, no tax or commitment for a fair amount of data. But I do without youtube unless I am on wifi.
Sadly I really like youtube but I'd go through 2 service plans in the 30 day period with at&t.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:02   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have just been given an IPad 3G by a relative for whom the device was surplus to requirements.

I've already got a laptop on board as a dedicated ship's computer, which fits neatly into the built-in laptop drawer at my nav table. I've got the Raymarine software to interface the laptop with the main navigation network. But I haven't even used it yet. Now I'm thinking about using the IPad instead since the form factor is so much more useful.

I am now reading this thread with interest, but I already have a couple of questions:

1. What is the best hardware device for getting AIS data into the IPad? And is there an AIS device which both sends and receives, which can be used with the IPad? My obsolescent Raymarine main nav system is not compatible with any kind of AIS, and six English Channel crossings last year have made me really want AIS.

2. What is the best software for AIS on the the IPad?

3. Everyone uses the free NOAA cartography on the IPad. But what about Europe? What kind of cartography is there for Europe?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

This looks extremely interesting:

The world’s first wireless AIS receiver that links wirelessly with the latest iPhone, iPad and iTouch devices. Consisting of a high performance dual channel AIS receiver, an integrated 802.11b+g wireless access point plus a free app downloadable from the Apple App Store, the iAIS brings AIS data to a whole new generation of mobile devices.
iAIS also multiplexes any other NMEA data that is available on board the boat - for instance GPS, depth, speed and wind etc. All of this data is combined with the AIS data into a single wireless feed, that becomes available on any compatible application. By using the boat’s own GPS, even an iTouch or iPad that does not have an internal GPS can now be used for navigation and superior performance will also be seen on an iPhone, which some users have complained suffers from jitter or poor lock-on with its internal GPS.
Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead

So does that mean that by using this device, I can get all of the network data onto my IPad by WiFi?! Is there an app for the Ipad which can display this data (wind, speed, heading, autopilot, etc., etc.)?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08   #72

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hey Dockhead! I see you found the iAIS receiver..which also interfaces NMEA data. There's an app or two in the App store for displaying NMEA data, plus several of the charting Apps also display data. The iAIS App is a free download if you want to play with it. As far as charts go, I HIGHLY recommend the Navionics Apps. They are cheap, and they work. Do a search on the App store...they cover a lot of the World. Have fun!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

+1 on Navionics! It's saved my bacon twice now to have an iPhone back-up to my nav suite.
Old 06-03-2011, 23:31   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After a certain amount of research, I bought a license for INavX, which at $49 was a bit more expensive than the Navionics App program, but which seemed more powerful. I then bought licenses for Navionics Gold charts for all of Atlantic Europe from Hamburg to Gibraltar plus the Mediterranean coasts of Spain and France. Wow, what a treasure of charts! The charts were only $80, and they include two years of updates.

Now I have to figure out the right AIS solution. And I have to figure out how to get wind and depth data into the IPad.

I realized that the IPad will be a solution to another problem I have been chewing over -- how to have navigation data and an anchor alarm at my bunk. I had actually thought about mounting a third chart plotter at my bunk, which would have been expensive plus a lot of wiring, plus chopping up the joinery. Well, the IPad will do this perfectly, especially if I can get wind and depth on it. I will just need a 12v socket to keep it powered up, but this will be easy since one of my battery banks is under my bunk. So instead of getting up every hour and sticking my head out the hatch, and/or making my way to the nav table to peek at our position on the main plotter, I will just have to open one eye and see the chart (and wind, and depth) on the IPad.

I'm still interested in people's experiences!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm delighted with my new acquisition and can't wait to get it onto the water.

The only remaining problem is a decent hard case for the IPad.

I've seen two which look more or less applicable:

The Otter Box Defender case:

OtterBox's Defender Case puts your iPad in a Batman Suit | ZDNet

And the Andres Industries case:

Accessories for Apple products

The Otter Box case looks pretty good and is sold at a good price -- about $60 in the UK. But it does not claim to be waterproof or even splashproof.

The Andres Industries case is waterproof and looks very rugged. But it costs a fortune!! 280 Euros or nearly $400!!!

Anyone using either of these? Comments? Any other alternatives anyone knows about? A good case is of course important!

Tags
Ipad