Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 22:43   #31

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
How about a way to put Seatalk data onto the local network, preferably without a PC/Mac?

if not, I'll run iNavX on an efficient Mac mini if I need to. Thanks.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 22:50   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This device will take NMEA-0183 data and put it on your existing network or it can create an AdHoc network..

Digi Connect Wi-SP - Compact, Secure 802.11b Wireless Serial Server - Digi International

It won't convert the proprietary Seatalk to NMEA though. Although it is very programable so it might be possible for those very technically inclined to have it do that.

Or you could feed a ShipModul multiplexer or Raymarine NMEA/Seatalk interface into Digi WiSp. So you end up with this:

Raymarine Seatalk -> Shipmodul mux or RayMarine Seatalk->NMEA box -> Digi WiSP -> Your Wlan -> iPad -> iNavX

I use a Digi WiSP with a ShipModul BT Multiplexer. So both my Mac and my iPad can share NMEA-0183 data wirelessly. Works great.
Old 22-10-2010, 22:57   #33

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
Thanks - exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish. Do you make use of the BT in any way?
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 04:57   #34

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a case from a German manufacturer that's due to be a available soon:http://www.andres-industries.de/imag...b_20100308.pdf. As Jeff mentioned, I'm sure there are a ton more on the way... Little pricey though!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 07:17   #35
cruiser

Check out this mount - sorry it's a mobile link - I'm on my phone:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It's a video - not sure I love an electronic gizmo between me and the iPad. I hope it has a manual release. It's way interesting to watch though.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 08:01   #36

can't see any mount video.

I had a look around youtube and found a few interesting iPad videos

I am struggling to understand on which planet this is a good idea

This quite funny

boat related..

must have iPad setup for your superyacht

cool boat setup

demo of the digitalyacht AIS
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 11:50   #37

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
One of the things that appeals to me is that the Admiral has traditionally been uncomfortable with the more technical looking boat electronics but might well enjoy using the ipad that we don't yet have or her itouch. That could be massive at night, both from a safety point of view and helping everyone feel more comfortable.
Old 24-10-2010, 12:51   #38

Boat: Hunter 28.5 & Tanzer 22
We have been using Navionics (?) charts on the Ipad when navigating into ports (we don't have a chartplotter) with the GPS feature it offers it has been a godsend. It has helped us on more then one occasion to find hard to spot markers. We don't have a pilot house I use it out in the cockpit under my Bimini and never had a problem seeing the screen. I do have a case though. The 3G has also been handy for checking weather reports and keeping in touch with home since the wifi has been spotty. The only downside is I can not see the screen if I have my polarized sunglasses on, so I have to take them off to view it but really it is no biggy...
Old 24-10-2010, 12:58   #39

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
An FYI from Apple ----------

Verizon Wireless and Apple today announced that iPad will be available at over 2,000 Verizon Wireless Stores nationwide beginning Thursday, October 28. Verizon Wireless will offer three bundles — all featuring an iPad Wi-Fi model and a Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot — for a suggested retail price of $629.99 for a 16GB iPad with Wi-Fi and MiFi, $729.99 for a 32GB iPad with Wi-Fi and MiFi, and $829.99 for a 64GB iPad with Wi-Fi and MiFi. Verizon Wireless is offering a monthly access plan to iPad customers of up to 1GB of data for just $20 a month. Verizon Wireless will also offer all three iPad Wi-Fi models on a stand-alone basis.

and

AT&T and Apple today announced that all three iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available at more than 2,200 AT&T Stores starting Thursday, October 28. AT&T will offer customers 3G pre-paid data plans for iPad, complete with Apple’s easy on-device activation and management. All iPad data plans are available without a term contract and include unlimited access to AT&T’s more than 23,000 domestic Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
Old 24-10-2010, 13:00   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keep in mind only iPad 3G has a GPS receiver. The WiFi only version does not have a GPS receiver. It's well worth the extra US$129 to get the 3G version. Neither WiFi or 3G needs to be enabled to use the GPS receiver.
Old 24-10-2010, 21:13   #41

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
UPDATE: I've downloaded 3 different Apps for tracking hurricanes; Hurricane Tracker, iHurricane HD, and Hurricane HD. First, yes, I know all the info is already available online. Having a one button hurricane tracker with all the info right in front of you is pretty cool though. To cut to the chase, I found only Hurricane HD worth purchasing, IMHO. It's polished, complete, and offers all the info I need to track and understand the path and danger of a hurricane. Current and forecasted paths, looped video of satellite and RADAR, previous hurricane tracks and stats that go back several decades for both Atlantic and Pacific. It's a sweet, well thought out App... See here: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/01/first...e-hd-for-ipad/

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:03   #42

Ram has a new mount for iPads. Unlike their other iPad mount, this one allows you to mount the iPad when it is wearing a "bumper" case.

RAM iPad Mount with Bumper or Case

It looks like it will allow you to mount the iPad in a flexible waterproof bag.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:53   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
there is a plug in device that gives non-3g ipad a gps signal. I think it will actually be faster than the 3g ipad in fringe areas as the 3g system needs cell towers to assist with gps positioning. cost is about $100
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
is there an easy way to get documents that are on a pc into an ipad?

is there an easy way to get xl spreadsheets into an ipad?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:59   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
there is a plug in device that gives non-3g ipad a gps signal. I think it will actually be faster than the 3g ipad in fringe areas as the 3g system needs cell towers to assist with gps positioning. cost is about $100
There's a good discussion of the Bad Elf here:
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/1...ipad_deal.html

Although it's a good retro-fit for non-3G iPads, having a 3G iPad, I believe, is a better solution. I contributed to the link above to explain why.

The only assistance that the 3G cellular system does with the iPad's built-in GPS is decrease the time-to-first-fix. After the GPS has a fix, the cellular system does nothing for GPS. If there is no cellular system/towers, the built-in GPS will still work fine although it'll take a few extra seconds to get that first position, very similar to the way every other GPS works.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad