Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 05:31   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: The extra nifty stuff I got when I bought my boat! Keep or replace?

Checking value on e-bay is a good idea but be sure to know the details. The value of your plotter may be impacted by which charts are hard wired.
Not uncommon for this stuff to give you 5 or even 10 good years but as not installed they may be second hand and that matters a lot. My attitude is replace what you must and get all the use you can out of it. I believe you will find a giant gap between used and new gear pricing only part of which is better features.

Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 15:31   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It seems as if there's always conflicts between needs and wants and one's bank manager.

We have friends, who circumnavigated about 40 yrs. ago, and they had two bits of electronics on their Cal 2-27: a depth sounder and a VHF.

We have a lot more stuff, now, and it seems to be the trend. I'm thinking that wsmac is really fond of electronics, so it will be interesting to see what he chooses to do.

Me, I think it'd be cool to test the instruments he has, and if they're working, install them. They're already paid for, and probably not worth very much to someone else--tekkie guys like the newest.

Radar is a useful tool, and if you're in an area with lots of shipping, i think AIS transponder is, too, because mainly they avoid you. I was happy with the AIR receiver only that we had, because I've spent years looking out for ships. Do not count on AIS to warn you of fishing boats, most of them aren't using it, at least, here in Oz. However, unless you are a gadget collector, it really depends on the kind of sailing you do, or want to do in the future.

I'd say, install the stuff and then go sailing, if you like to sail. ;-)

Ann

Old 17-04-2017, 15:44   #18

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Concerning AIS and radar...
Since I'll just be in our little Humboldt Bay for the time-being... yet we have some pretty good fog... would that be something I should start thinking about investing in now... or wait until I bravely venture out over the bar?

I wouldn't plan on sailing around the bay in the fog... but being a rookie... well... you know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Humboldt Bay Chart.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	145644  
Old 17-04-2017, 16:33   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

With Garmin, allot of what they develop is at no cost, it trickle down from their avionics packages......... Thats the main reason I see them so tied up to proprietary charts and not always being upgradable....... But they do have good quality
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:21   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
This is getting close to a topic I've been thinking a lot lately. What is the (my) essential electronic needs as a coastal cruiser? I just bought my 1979 PEARSON 365 last month, it needs a lot of work, but I feel the portable/low cost APP based approach gets me most of the Nav info and help I need. The boat came with an old working RADAR and a fish finder for depth and bottom contour. I have OPENCPN on my laptop, Navionics on my Android tablet (with real built-in GPS a cell signal isn't involved in real-time navigation), hand-held VHF (2) and an old satellite phone for comms backup, a hand-held GPS for more location redundancy and I just bought a hand-held wind gauge if I'm curious about wind speed and direction although my cheek works pretty well and I've been setting sails without fancy electronics for thirty years.

I just read a cruising world article where they talked about "affordable" electronics packages at $5k. I would much rather have three years of insurance and moorage than that "affordable" upgrade. With tablets, phones and on-board wifi taking over are the single-purpose hardware solutions still necessary?

DreaminFred

SV Istana

Pearson 365

DreaminFred

You already have more than many sailors use/have.....

:-)

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat