Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2013, 06:46   #1

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Testing FM Antenna Setup

I recently had my 20 year old AM/FM Tape deck inside my boat die and I figured it was time to get another car stereo to put in its place. I popped in a Blaupunkt San Francisco 310 but the FM reception didn't seem so good. It would pick up a few stations pretty well, but "scanning" wouldn't stop on but 1 or 2, and station reception seemed to vary depending on where I was sitting. I started wondering if the antenna wasn't bad, too.

Our boat had a Metz Communications AM/FM antenna mounted about half way up the mast that had worked great before so up the mast we went to check on it. The whip fell right out which wasn't too surprising as the antenna had gotten a halyard wrapped around it pretty good a couple of months earlier. So, I sent off for a replacement antenna that is now installed. No change, or perhaps marginally better reception without the antenna plugged into the stereo. So far the only test I've been able to do is to disconnect the antenna wire from both the stereo and antenna, short it at one end and test the continuity using a multimeter at the other end. There were a handful of ohms of resistance which made sense to me. I've tried googling up some answers on other tests I can do, but I haven't found anything. Perhaps some HAMs here could chime in? There must be some other ways to troubleshoot this install.

Thanks so much,

S/V Mimi Rose
in Brunswick, GA for now
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: