Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 15:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Testing Depth Transducers when Not in the Water

Is it possible?

Finally determined that the mystery cable I have near my instruments is for a second Garmin transducer. I figure if it's working, I'll keep it as a backup, if not. May as well yank it, patch it, and have yet one less hole in the hull.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:12   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I thought they still worked, but the readings would be way off...higher I suppose because the signal would be slower going through air.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:25   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I don't think you will get any reading out of water, but you might be able to feel the "ticks" on the face of the transducer.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:57   #4

If you put ear next to it you should hear a clicking or put a steel plate close as you can and you should get a reading, not correct but a reading
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 19:55   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You can put a tall bucket of water up against the hull such that the transducer is immersed in the water and get some sort of reading - probably zero unless you have a really tall bucket. Or you can listen carefully to the instrument display and sometimes hear the ticking which is the discharge pulse. Or you can turn on a SSB radio and you will hear the Depth Sounder "ticking/firing" in the background noise of the SSB.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 20:19   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I vaguely remember reading …many many years ago…. that you could damage the piezo type crystals in a transducer if you ran it out of the water….

Probably the larger earlier commercial units would overheat if left on when in drydock and then warp and compromise the accuracy.

Doubt if that is the case with modern units but to be safe….you could put it in a bucket of water to test that it still pulses or if you have time, remove it and bench test at a repair place
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:13   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
I'm getting readings of 800ft in 30ft of water. At the dock in 10ft it reads accurately. Anyone have a suggestion as to what's going on??

Thanks,
Steve
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:27   #8

Boat: Westsail 32
When I installed a new depth gauge and transducer last season I tested it by powering up the unit and placing a bucket of water as close to the transducer as possible. The gauge gave a reading, giving me a reasonable assurance that the equipment was working.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:16   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
I'm getting readings of 800ft in 30ft of water. At the dock in 10ft it reads accurately. Anyone have a suggestion as to what's going on?? Thanks, Steve
It all depends upon the make/model of your depthmeter. Many transducers in the Raymarine brand sometimes fail or never work correctly after installation. You need to get a friend who has the same make/model to lend you their instrument head and connect that to your transducer and see if the same thing happens. If it does then most likely the transducer has or is failing. You can also hook up your instrument head to your friend's transducer to see if the problem might be in your instrument head.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 07:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You could test it for a reading in a bucket of water but obviously not for accuracy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote