Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 13:01   #1

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter
TackTick wind transmitter help

I have a TackTick wireless wind transmitter and MN30 display that came with my boat when I purchased it a year ago. Both have worked flawlessly until the recent tropical storm passed the west coast of Florida a couple of weeks ago. I first noticed a problem when after the storm passed we went sailing and I noticed the anemometer had ceased spinning and the display was showing no wind direction and speed as dashes. Assuming that the bearings needed replacing, I went up the mast and retrieved the transmitter. Since I had it down, I opted to replace the battery also. After replacing the battery and the bearing kit I tried in vain to re-pair the transmitter with the display as outlined in the manual with no success. I set the unit out in bright sunlight to charge the battery in case it might not be fully charged and tried again, with no success. Is there any way to test the transmitter to determine if it is actually transmitting? Is there some possible trick that is not in the manual that anyone might know to help in the pairing. It has always been a reliable unit and I hate to replace it if I don't need to, not to mention the fact that a new transmitter is $600-800. In advance, any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 13:26   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: TackTick wind transmitter help

We had a similar problem with our old Tacktick windy. Anemometer started seizing till eventually froze. Then direction went. I replaced the battery, but no change. Think it was the transmitter. Talked to Raymarine support who eventually told me to send it back for repairs. They assessed it as dead, and offered a refurbished one for 1/3rd the price of new. Got it (think it is actually a new unit) and has worked great the last two years.

Tags
wind