Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 05:13   #1

Boat: Catalina Capri 22
TackTick Problems ...

I have a TackTick system for my Capri 22 which hasn't been used in the past 8 years and I'm try to get it up and running again. Everything worked fine originally. Here are the TackTick components that I have:
  • Wind
  • Hull Transmitter (with tri-transducer (non-tacktick)-- speed, depth, water temp)
  • Compass
  • NMEA Interface (not currently connected)
  • 2 Dual Displays (older style nm100 - white case)
  • 1 Single Display (older style nm100 - white case)
I've recharged everything, grouped everything together to re-establish the network, and applied power to the Hull Transmitter. The Wind is working fine and I can see wind information on the displays. However, I cannot see any information from the triducer. The displays show --- for all speed, depth, & temp data. Not sure how to determine what the problem is. How can I determine if the Hull Transmitter is actually working since it has no visible indications (i.e. LEDs, etc.). Appreciate any help.
SeaLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 05:54   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: TackTick Problems ...

Hi SeaLyon, we went through a similar process with an older TackTick system. In our case the hull transmitter battery was dead and had to be replaced by TackTick. I'm going from memory, but you can view the diagnostics of all items in the network using the displays, including seeing the transmission strength and whether the various units are charging.

Does the windy transmit directly to the display units, or does it go through the hull transmitter as well? From memory, I think it is the latter. If so, then it would suggest a problem with the transducer side; either the connections, the wire or the unit itself.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:12   #3

Thanks for the info. I believe the wind data is sent directly to the displays, hull transmitter not involved. Wind has worked from the beginning, even before I re-installed & re-powered the hull transmitter.

I thought there was some type of diagnostic mode, just couldn't remember how to access it. My manuals are MIA and I'm having trouble finding downloadable manuals for the older components. There are some FAQs on the Raymarine site regarding entry into the HEALTH diagnostic mode, but I'm not sure if that applies only to the newer 100-2 displays. I'll give it a try and see if I can get any info.

Another FAQ talked about waiting at least 6 hrs. after giving the Hull Transmitter power before testing (guessing for battery recharge -- assuming it's still good). I was just testing with direct power, so I've left the power to the instruments on now and I'll re-test later today.

Hopefully I won't have to replace the battery but I'm guessing that will be the eventual outcome.

Thanks.
Old 22-04-2012, 19:05   #4

I can probably get at my units tomorrow. I can post how to access the diagnostics then if that will help.

I had to send my hull transmitter back to TackTick (I'm not sure if Raymarine owned them then). It was a bit of a pain, but they were pretty quick getting it back to me.
Old 22-04-2012, 19:49   #5

Appreciate the help. I was able to get to the HEALTH screens without any trouble. The microNet is not finding the hull transmitter. I wasn't able to get power to the hull transmitter till this afternoon, so I'll check again in the morning to see if I can access it. I'll give a call to Raymarine tomorrow and see what needs to be done to send it back for them to test & change out the battery. I'll post back as things progress.
Old 22-04-2012, 20:32   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLyon View Post
Appreciate the help. I was able to get to the HEALTH screens without any trouble. The microNet is not finding the hull transmitter. I wasn't able to get power to the hull transmitter till this afternoon, so I'll check again in the morning to see if I can access it. I'll give a call to Raymarine tomorrow and see what needs to be done to send it back for them to test & change out the battery. I'll post back as things progress.
Don't know if you tried yet but the transducers have to be synchronized/initialized to the display all at the same time, in that 1 foot distance just like the start up when you first bought it.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:52   #7

As Del says, you can try and reset the network by bringing all the units together within 1-foot, and then using the network setup options. But you should be able to see the network strength and whether a unit is charging in the Health section: that little star icon.

If the hull transmitter is not charging, then I would say the internal battery is dead, and needs to be replaced by TackTick (unfortunately). As I say, this was exactly the issue we faced when we bought our current boat. The system had not been used for a few years.
Old 23-04-2012, 06:44   #8

Thanks. Yes, I am bringing all the Tacktick components together so the network can re-establish. It's actually not associated with the transducer, the transducer (which is thru-hull) sends its pure wired electrical signals to the HULL TRANSMITTER which reads them and converts them to the TackTick network protocol and then transmits them wirelessly via micorNet. Just need to put the displays, hull transmitter, & wind transmitter together so the network can be established.

Haven't tried again yet to see if the hull transmitter was able to charge overnight. Hopefully that works, but if not I'll be contacting Raymarine today to determine where it needs to be sent.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted ....
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Hello:
We can replace the batteries in Tack Tick equipment including the older white compass units like the Race Master and Sail Master. We replace all the batteries with OEM batteries so the batteries should last about 10 years.

Thorsten Cook
203-312-0152

Call me to discuss what you need.
Thanks
tpcook is offline   Reply With Quote