Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:00   #16

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Re: Tack Tick Wind Instrument

I have been negotiating to get a replacement unit (tacktick MHU) with Raymarine for about 6 mths now. We have had one replacement unit for free when the original MHU did not function at all . Raymarine have admitted in an email that there were a complete batch issue which were faulty

It's exhausting dealing with these guys but will not give up on this

Never heard about the max 50 foot range rule. My mast is 76 foot and it worked fine for about 3 mths (about a year ago now)

** I simply gave up on the spinning wheel speed measurement gizmo. It's rubbish and never tallies with anything close the GPS SOG reading (yes I understand they are measuring different things )
Depth seems to be working but will not interface with the full Raymarine system

On balance it's fair to say I think my TackTick purchase was a complete mistake and getting service from Raymarine here in Asia is a joke

Carlisle Spirit
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53   #17

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Tack Tick Wind Instrument

I have a tack tick wind instrument and also have very intermittent signal problems, appears to h ave a mind of its own, shows nothing then works for days fine, then decides to quite again, diagnostics say no signal between the unit, who knows!!

My opinion, Don't buy one!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09   #18

Boat: Sabre 42
I have a tacktick wind instrument, and their triducer instruments with a dual display. I love them. I occasionally have a problem getting the signal from the wind instrument, but I just turn it off and then on again and it works.

As for the speed being off... it will never agree with you SOG except under limited circumstances. I have two knot meters, located in different places on the hull. One gets sort of shielded by my keel on certain tacks and points of wind, but mostly they agree.

Best thing about the wireless display is taking it off, and bringing it to your berth at night as a depth alarm, or to watch wind speeds. Well, best thing other than the frustration of running cables all over during installation.