Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 09:23   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Super deal on Garmin GPS

OK, I think I've found another good deal that I wanted to pass along. This time for a Garmin GPSMAP 942xs. This is the latest model with a 9" screen. I've been shopping for a while and the best price I found was $1,199.00 plus shipping. Most sellers, even the online discounters like the GPS Store are quoting $1,299.00

Found a Canadian company with a boat show deal for $999.99 Canadian. That's $805 in US $. There is a bit of a bite for shipping, $120 for FedEx international (and I always thought Canada was just a suburb of the USA) but still a killer price.

The company is Garmin GPSMAP 942xs 9-inch Touchscreen Chartplotter/Sonar Combo with Pre-loaded maps (010-01739-03) at GPS Central Canada

Never heard of them before but I checked a couple of reviews online and found no red flags. I also called and confirmed this is the 942xs, not the 942 and is the same as units sold in the US.

Sale good until 22 Jan.

I ordered two.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 10:42   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Super deal on Garmin GPS

Thanks that is a great price!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 10:46   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Pretty sure I bought charts off them a few years back. Don’t remember having any problems.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 15:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Pretty sure I bought charts off them a few years back. Don’t remember having any problems.
Thanks for the info. I have called and spoken with them a couple of times now and they were very nice and helpful. But then they're Canadians so wouldn't expect any less.
Old 18-01-2018, 15:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Thanks that is a great price!
Even better for you since you won't have to pay international shipping.
Old 19-01-2018, 08:49   #6

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall

GPScity.com he’d that exact unit in Annapolis on show special for $849.00. I tried to get it just after the show without success. They did tell me that they’ll have it again at the Atlantic City show at the end of Feb. They said it would again be $849 or even less! So for us sailors within easy driving distance, il’ll save on shipping.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 08:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 22

Are they in authorized dealer? If not, you might want to check the warranty and warranty service.
RNWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 09:30   #8

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I seem to recall a very recent thread where in folks were mad at Garmin over some new changes in the availibility of charts they had purchased in the past? Whatever the problem was I remember several Garmin owners swearing they were done with Garmin.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 09:55   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

The reason for discontent with Garmin was that they discontinued BlueChart Mobile for iPad. However, it appears from what I've read that if you own a Garmin device, you can use your Garmin key (or whatever it's called) to buy, install, and get updates for BlueCharts on the iPad, and it allows you to remotely control the chartplotter from the iPad.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 10:11   #10

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I am in New Zealand aboard my Southern Cross 39, having cruised from Seattle in 2010. My Garmin 545s Plotter performed great until I got to French Polynesia. There it became increasingly inaccurate. By the time I got to Tonga it was terrible. So bad I could only navigate with my paper charts and the GPS fixes. I also had the Open CPN which even tho was the older version was very accurate.While in Tonga I bought a used Samsung with the Navionics which was very good.This last year I was in Fiji and visited another boat with a newer version of the Garmin with the touch screen. Same thing. Shows the boat totally in the wrong place frequently, unlike my Raymarine which uses the Navionics system. You should be fine if you stay near the States. That said I think it is the worst choice if you are cruising around the world. The best and most accurate all around system is actually free. OPEN CPN using the Google Earth overlays is the only system that is accurate everywhere....Cheers
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 12:02   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

This does appear to be a great deal. I would just check a few things that I haven't seen mentioned. If they were mentioned I apologize for the duplication.

First, if you are navigating in U.S. waters, the device sold from a Canadian may not include U.S. charts like a unit sold from an authorized U.S. dealer would. If you need U.S. charts that may negate the savings. If you already have U.S. charts or don't need them then this is a moot point.

Second, there are different packages available. One package comes with radar but is significantly more expensive. However if you are in need of radar as well as the 942xs, it may be worthwhile to get the radar/chart plotter combination.

Finally, you can always call the seller and ask for the Garmin model number (something like 010-01739-03) and then call Garmin. Garmin has very good customer service and they can tell you if there are any differences between what is being sold and what is being sold in your area.

Again, it appears to be a good deal and may well be worth buying.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 14:56   #12

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I seem to recall a very recent thread where in folks were mad at Garmin over some new changes in the availibility of charts they had purchased in the past? Whatever the problem was I remember several Garmin owners swearing they were done with Garmin.
I'm one of them, I've had it with Garmin. They bought Active Captain then a excellent device called Delorme InReach, which I own, so given their penchant
for accelerated obsolescence then no support for these products I'm not optimistic for the future of In Reach, so regarding this "good deal" do some research and caveat emptor !
Old 19-01-2018, 15:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This does appear to be a great deal. I would just check a few things that I haven't seen mentioned. If they were mentioned I apologize for the duplication.

First, if you are navigating in U.S. waters, the device sold from a Canadian may not include U.S. charts like a unit sold from an authorized U.S. dealer would. If you need U.S. charts that may negate the savings. If you already have U.S. charts or don't need them then this is a moot point.

Second, there are different packages available. One package comes with radar but is significantly more expensive. However if you are in need of radar as well as the 942xs, it may be worthwhile to get the radar/chart plotter combination.

Finally, you can always call the seller and ask for the Garmin model number (something like 010-01739-03) and then call Garmin. Garmin has very good customer service and they can tell you if there are any differences between what is being sold and what is being sold in your area.

Again, it appears to be a good deal and may well be worth buying.
Hi Dave,

I did call and ask if this was the same as the Garmins sold in the US, same charts, etc and was assured that they are the same.

I think my order arrived today so I'll be hooking one up to test and will report back.

Skip
Old 19-01-2018, 21:15   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK. Dragged a spare battery into the living room (the wife was out so got away with that) and hooked up the new GPS. Didn't search the entire US but checked a few spots in FL and the ICW and it looks like it's got it all.
Old 20-01-2018, 13:01   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Why is no one saying anything about the poster whose experience with severe inaccuracy in Tonga? If u r coastal trailer sailor it is not an issue. But his situation should raise red flags or at least eyebrows.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps