Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2016, 11:10   #16

Re: Suitable Stereo unit for yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have had simple systems and have had complicated Bose systems. One boat had bose speakers in the main cabin, the forward cabin and the cockpit. Frankly, I would buy the best portable boom box possible and go with that! Why?
-because you can put it where ever you want it, foredeck while lounging, on the table, in the cockpit and even ashore on the beach.
-You don't have to buy those crappy speakers that are water resistant for the cockpit, but sound terrible .
-You don't have to pull everything apart and drill holes etc to install wires throughout the boat.
-You don't have to carve big holes for speakers in the cockpit, cabin bulkheads etc.
-Speakers mounted in the main salon are often mounted port and starboard, but you really sit in one location, often in front of one side speaker only.
-Where ever you are with the boom box, you can adjust it as it's at arms length. WIth the stereo mounted below, you have to get up go down there and adjust, only to discover you got it too low or too high when you get back to where you were.
-There are a million good reasons to keep it simple, and frankly a good boom box actually sounds better than most installations.
Too easy! Lol...

Old 07-10-2016, 11:15   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

So many great solutions out there these days. Original builder installed excellent sound system but now all outdated. Don't need multiple cd changer anymore.

Have good Boston Acoustic speakers. Want to run music from my MAC Mini. Problem is finding appropriate amplifier to drive existing speakers. Have thought about replacing them with bluetooth speakers but don't want to spend the money.

Still looking.

Look at crutchfield website.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:29   #18

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
So many great solutions out there these days. Original builder installed excellent sound system but now all outdated. Don't need multiple cd changer anymore.

Have good Boston Acoustic speakers. Want to run music from my MAC Mini. Problem is finding appropriate amplifier to drive existing speakers. Have thought about replacing them with bluetooth speakers but don't want to spend the money.

Still looking.

Look at crutchfield website.
If you want the MAC to act as the controller, a small usb amplifier would work well here.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:31   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

I _hate_ cordless bluetooth speakers. Mono. poor sound (to my ears). Need to be recharged.

Much rather have a decent head unit driving some decent speakers in stereo. I'm kinda partial to polk speakers.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1985 Freedom Mach1 32'

Can't beat Bose. Bluetooth. $200.00 Mine just sits on my charger. No wires, no big bulky speakers. I have big sound when watching a movie from my mac pro. I can take it out to the cockpit anytime and have hours on the battery. Xmas present I will ask for is a Bose Radio $329!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:57   #21

If you want cheap get a class D 12v amp from eBay or Amazon for $30-40 and a couple of speakers. I have this on my centre consule and it works great. Music comes from my Ipad which also acts as a plotter.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-10-2016, 13:01   #22

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Second the Bose "boom Boxes". They have a great selection to choose from.
Old 07-10-2016, 13:23   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbleJames View Post
-Looking for a very decent volume on the external speakers
So you can disturb nearby boaters and waterfront landowners?

Are you one of those white guys who likes to pretend he is black and "sing" along with rap recordings?

If my post is not helping, it's on purpose. I boat to hear the wind, waves and the sounds of nature. Not somebody else's taste in music (or noise).
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 15:59   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
I have a car system built in with speakers in the cockpit and in the saloon - I think it is complete waste of time - I bought a small JSL ( ?) speaker ,very like a Bose , it has incredible sound and is blue tooth , which I run of an I Pod ( or Phone ), which stays in the saloon . I can place the speaker anywhere on / in the yacht I choose . It is simple - no fitting and cheap . I have thousands of songs , both classical and current pop music , so sound quality is very important - Rgds Garth
That is what I'm using in the interim. Maybe I should stop there.
Old 07-10-2016, 17:48   #25

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have a marinized Sony car style unit with so so speakers but ok.The speakers are located on the starboard side of the salon opposite the seating for the dining table. works well. I took the speakers out of the cockpit because I am leery of the interference with the compass. Speakers have big magnets than can affect a compass. I know that most of us do not steer by compass but this still a useful instrument. Happy listening. F
Old 07-10-2016, 17:51   #26

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

A plug for FUSION which I have on my boat. They have a range that will achieve anything you want from simple to full feature . . . and they can handle the salt water environment. Also their speakers are brilliant to my ear and can be mounted in your cockpit.
Disclosure: We stock & sell them in our Broadwater Marine stores thru out the Philippines.
Old 07-10-2016, 18:01   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Suitable Stereo unit for yacht

Although we have a fusion system, we really like our Bluetooth speaker system (Eton Ruckus). They have gotten much better over the last two years, especially if you buy a name brand device.

We have one with a large lithium battery and a built in solar panel. It has a USB port so you can charge you idevice from it... which makes it multiuse.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So you can disturb nearby boaters and waterfront landowners?

Are you one of those white guys who likes to pretend he is black and "sing" along with rap recordings?

If my post is not helping, it's on purpose. I boat to hear the wind, waves and the sounds of nature. Not somebody else's taste in music (or noise).
I hate noise too and that is the sound of my engine, the best feeling is when the engine is turned off and your under sail power.

Cheers,
Keep on sailing
Old 08-10-2016, 04:50   #29

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s

It seems that most people (too many) listen to recorded music at volumes which are not only too loud to disturb people in ear shot... but loud enough to destroy their own hearing... and that will manifest years after the constant exposure to loud sound.

I find it offensive when I am forced to listen to someone (anyone's) else's music.. and this includes outdoor wedding at the estate we are moored 1000 feet from. The obsession on over modulated began with rock music I suspect. And that was a very unfortunate and unhealthy... it turns out... *development*. Now people over modulate music on their ear buds... The sound tracks in movies are over modulated and make seeing a movie unpleasant at times.

Like Peter57 I too dislike the sound of the motor... the inboard is way too loud. I can't even hear the Audi's engine. What a difference!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:59   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

another vote for Fusion head unit, the ms av 750 is probably the best all round unit on the market and has hdmi output for my tv. only one out there.
For amps and speakers #1 is JL Audio hands down, you don't see too many JL products on sailboats as they are expensive.
If it is too loud you are too old. If you managed to grow up in the 60's or 70's and not blow your eardrums out with the music back then then you were probably a nerd and listened to Lawrence Welk.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: