Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-03-2012, 15:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Straight Talk Android

Anyone using the Straight Talk Android while cruising the east coast USA?

How was the coverage? I've seen the coverage map but it's hard to tell what the actual coverage is along the coast & ICW. Looks like perhaps the only gap is around the Outer Banks/sounds.

gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:46   #2

Re: straight talk android

When you are trying to find cell coverage it's less about the kind of handset (Android, iPhone, HTC, etc) (if it's a handset less than a year old...) and much more important to look at your cell phone service providers area map - it you use ATT you need to look at ATT coverage map, if it's Verizon or others you need to check their coverage claims.

An example of this is my phone is an ATT phone, on the anchor 'at home' (Outside Avalon on Catalina Island, So Cal) my phone is useless. Absolutely no signal. I can send txt and emails if I write and 'send' and then hoist the cell to th e masthead until it cycles through a send/receive cycle (about 20 minutes for an iphone). My neighbor in that same anchorage has 4GS and can watch movies 24/7, his coverage is Verizon.

1/4 mi away in Avalon harbor I have 3gs and he still has 4gs. Unfortunately if you check ATT coverage maps it shows 'coverage' in both areas though they don't claim 3GS in the anchorage, they do claim phone service (which as I said doesn't reflect the reality.)

Some cell towers are shared by the cell companys, others are exclusive (the Verizon anchorage coverage mentioned.)

It would be interesting to have others send in their lat/long along with cell coverage and provider to start building a 'real-world' map... not that I'm volunteering...

Repost with your provider so someone who has experience relevant to yours can respond...

bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:21   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Someone else on another thread (sorry -- already forgot which thread, and who posted. . . ) mentioned that in some places her Ipad gets reception but her IPhone with the same provider does not. So that might imply antenna differences. I'm just guessing that tablets can fit a bigger better antenna in there, so it might give you a few extra miles of range.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use Straight talk for my cell phone. But I dont try to use any of the fancy stuff. You can choose to use Verizon or ATT based service through Straight Talk. There is a lot of hocus pocus going on in the cell market. I guess the problem is buffering.? I have a Verizon tablet. One minute it is fast. Next minute I will not be able to even open a file. The thing is , I always have 4 bars! This is when I am not moving, in the same location. It's not a signal problem... It seems like a "how many are on the system" problem.... or they are limiting my usage that way... not sure.
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:06   #5

Depending on where you sign up for Straight Talk you get either Verizon or AT&T coverage I believe, so I think it depends on where you start out and what phone you purchase. If you look here the Android coverage is a lot less than the non-Android coverage.
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Straight talk ANDROID is T-Mobile and I have seen the coverage map. But seeing the coverage map and actually using it in the real world are 2 different things.

I need to hear from straight talk android users specifically.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:59   #7

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Straight Talk Android

I have 2 android phones. Samsung. Location, Chesapeake bay. Awesome and priced right

76% of statistics are made up.
boatsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: