Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-06-2012, 12:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Stern Mount Radar Pole Options

I met with an installer yesterday, and discussed rough estimates to install my radar system on the mast, on the backstay or a stern pole. He mentioned that mounting at the stern would make things much easier to remove the equipment and take it to the next boat or sell it separate without a lot of damage to the boat, since he felt the equipment would not increase the value of the boat much.

I like his ideas about that and the labor is also less, so I narrowed ti to stern or backstay. Problem with the backstay, is there is a chair in the way (which means mounting the pole to the rear of the cable), I would have to remove the backstay to install it and the radar whenever the mast was pulled) and I've read about the mast blocking objects directly in front of the bow.

So then I looked at the stern pole of to port or starboard. Seems to me that's a good option, and apparently, some like the Garhauer will allow you to double this pole as an outboard davit, and by adding a second pole later, you could tie them together to add a wind generator and solar panels (assuming the boat was kept that long or sold with the equipment).

Lastly, I looked at gimbeled or non-gimbaled. I read about the plane of the beam and about constant flexing of the wire feeding the radome. Then there is the cost. Then there are the manually adjustable ones you can set yourself when heeling, although most people seem to leave them alone.

I've pretty much decided to go with a pole on port or starboard side and a fixed mount and would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. Based on this configuration and on my Cal 34, can anyone recommend the most affordable solution that will still work reasonably well in most conditions?

Old 21-06-2012, 15:29   #2

Re: Stern Mount Radar Pole Options

If the mounting surface is not horizontal, it looks as though Scanstrut has the only mount that allows 360 adjustment of the pole into a vertical postion. Others allow movement in one plane only. Correct?

Old 21-06-2012, 15:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

this was the configuration of the radar and wind genny mounts on a boat i delivered across the pacific a few years ago,it was a cape dory 33,so of a similar size to yours.

it worked well with little vibration in winds up to 45 knots,the only thing that would have improved it would have been the addition of a solar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific 2010 004.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	42603   Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific 2010 003.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	42604  

Old 21-06-2012, 16:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this was the configuration of the radar and wind genny mounts on a boat i delivered across the pacific a few years ago,it was a cape dory 33,so of a similar size to yours.

it worked well with little vibration in winds up to 45 knots,the only thing that would have improved it would have been the addition of a solar panel.
That would work. I talked to Garhauer and they have a 8' pole with a 2" diameter that includes an engine davit for $800 include all mounting hardware. The plate will swivel to allow mounting on the stern gunnel inside the rail or the back of the stern outside the rail, so I'll probably mount it similar to how the one in your photo was done. Then he said I could just remove the pole later if I wanted and leave the plate. $30 for a new plate on the next boat. Waa Laa! This sounds like a good option.
Old 21-06-2012, 16:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
That would work. I talked to Garhauer and they have a 8' pole with a 2" diameter that includes an engine davit for $800 include all mounting hardware. The plate will swivel to allow mounting on the stern gunnel inside the rail or the back of the stern outside the rail, so I'll probably mount it similar to how the one in your photo was done. Then he said I could just remove the pole later if I wanted and leave the plate. $30 for a new plate on the next boat. Waa Laa! This sounds like a good option.
just make sure it has some sort of brace fwd,and midships,if you look carefully in the 1st photo you can just see the two struts connected to the pushpit rail about 1/3 of the way up the pole.

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: