Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 14:23   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Starting from Scratch, Which Brand is the way to Go?

I couldn't decide if this post should go here or in the navigation forum, but either way, here goes.

I've got an O'day 34 that came equipped with an old Raymarine radar and a Garmin 498 Chartplotter with sonar. Neither of the screens are doing too great. The radar screen sometimes ends up fogging over and is unreadable for a few hours before it burns off the condensation inside. Sometimes the Garmin can't find satellites. The transducer on the Garmin started flashing -4.6 on me over the winter, and it's taken two weekends of troubleshooting and re-gluing the in-hull cup twice to finally figure out that it's leaking the mineral oil near the top when the boat heels, not out the bottom.

Anyway, the radar, the chartplotter, and the autopilot are all very near the end of life. None of it talks to each other as it's all different brands.

At some point this year I'm going to pull it all out and replace it with a new system, and I'm dreaming of a chartplotter that also displays the radar, the sonar, the wind indicator and connects to the autopilot.

I'm looking for a recommendation because I can't tell what's different between the Garmin, the Raymarine or the Simrad systems except price and the size of the screens. Or is there another system I'm leaving out here?

And do these touchscreen systems still work if your hands are wet/sweaty because my phone sure doesn't?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:12   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Starting from scratch, which brand is the way to go?

Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad/B&G, Furuno, all make systems that will do all of the above. Their chartplotters, radar and autopilots will do what you want.

Basically, the differences in the above are mostly in the software and the interfaces of the chartplotter/GPS/Radar. Some are easier to use than others, and some offer more features than others.

In terms of quality, there are all sorts of opinions on here regarding who makes the best equipment.

If you can, find somewhere like a West Marine or a marine electronics store where you can go and look at the systems yourself and get a feel for what they are like. You will very quickly learn which brands you prefer in terms of look and feel.

Personally, I just installed an entire B&G system, with everything from autopilot to radar and chartplotter. I have a preference for B&G's gauges and plotter, and their autopilot has a great heritage.

Raymarine and Garmin are extremely popular as well. Just look around any marina and most boats you see all have Raymarine radar.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you don't mind the price, Furuno. Been using it happily for many years. The tech support is excellent as well. Close second is Garmin. On this forum I hear the most complaints about Raymarine.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:56   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you don't mind the price, Furuno. Been using it happily for many years. The tech support is excellent as well. Close second is Garmin. On this forum I hear the most complaints about Raymarine.

For best range of equipment good radar range , MFDs , APs , instruments etc SIMRAD/b&G are up there at the top, with Raymarine nearby, the lightening II software now is very good as is iPad integration. Garmin has a few holes in its product range, but often is very good at bang for buck.

I find a lot of Furunos leisure range is very dated now. Personally there is little in technical specs to differentiate them.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 16:37   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Raymarine has a reputation for extremely poor customer service. Haven't heard this about the others. Could just be outside my experience, hence not a recommendation for any particular brand.

One may still prefer the perceived convenience of the all instruments together module, but it is going to leave you without any instrumentation in the event of a lightning strike. I'd rather have them separate, and hope some survive. If you are sailing in a an area where there is a lot of lightning, it might be something you want to factor in in your decision making.

Ann
Old 12-05-2014, 16:48   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

As much as I have a past bias against Raymarine (and still have particular bones to pick with them), their customer support has improved leaps and bounds since they lost their business and Flir picked them up. I still would (and did) choose other options.

Recent understanding of some of Garmin's practices and implementations with their design have taken them out of consideration for me. We own a current model Furuno radar and chartplotter, and I agree with Dave that the chartplotter part of it is dated - the radar is still very impressive. I am way under-impressed with Furuno's autopilots and other instruments.

I have yet to see an autopilot that competes with the current Simrad/B&G (exact same units).

I don't know what Ann was referring to as an "all instruments together" module, but if it is just the ability to communicate with each other, then there is no problem (or no different than non-communicating instruments). Anyway, a lightning strike is going to come into the boat on the DC power side, so all instruments are connected together at that point regardless.

Modern instruments are separate by design and engineering, and simply put their data on a bus for use. For example, GPS, wind, depth, speed and compass are now all stand-alone systems without the requirement of a dedicated computer and display to operate them. Each of those transducers, sensors and receivers are self-contained independent instruments.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:56   #7
Nearly an old salt

Starting from scratch, which brand is the way to go?

In fact networked instruments, sensors and MFDs are MORE Redundant and reliable then independant units, because the possibility exists to move information from non functioning display heads to other functioning display ears in a networked system.

For example two MFDs are always better and more reliable then two separate radar and chart plotter screens for example

Personally in Europe, I've found the tech support from Raymarine excellent. I beleive most of the issues seem to relate to NA support which seems to have improved greatly under FLIR.

Dave

Old 12-05-2014, 17:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In fact networked instruments, sensors and MFDs are MORE Redundant and reliable then independant units, because the possibility exits to move information from non functioning display heads to other functioning display ears in a networked system.

For example two MFDs are always better and more reliable then two separate radar and chart plotter screens for example

Dave

Now Dave, you KNOW that isn't true because all the old-timers here have been telling you that for years. It is dangerous to have networked instruments. They cause you to go to sleep and not pay attention and steer you right into reefs even though they are on your chartplotter.

And you grow hair on your palms using them.

Really, when are you going to see the light?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:56   #9
Nearly an old salt

Starting from scratch, which brand is the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Now Dave, you KNOW that isn't true because all the old-timers here have been telling you that for years. It is dangerous to have networked instruments. They cause you to go to sleep and not pay attention and steer you right into reefs even though they are on your chartplotter.

And you grow hair on your palms using them.

Really, when are you going to see the light?

Mark

I know, I like to live right out on the edge , networks. French production boats, satcomms, turbo diesels etc, how I made those long repeated ocean trips, I'll never know.

Dave

Old 12-05-2014, 18:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Starting from scratch, which brand is the way to go?

Now I'll come in from the other side of these rich booga's.. scrap the radar.. its for blind pussies who are into video games.. forget Garmin etc.. buy a cheap laptop.. a GPS puck and Nimble Navigator.. a WW chart system for less than $150 and your good to go.. unless your a geek..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:20   #11

Boat: Cal 2-27

Here are a few package options.

Raymarine a75 Multifunction Navigation Display with Digital Radar

B & G Zeus Touch T8 Touchscreen, Multifunction Display with Broadband 3G Radar

Furuno Navnet VX2, 24 NM Radar / Color / Chartplotter
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:36   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now I'll come in from the other side of these rich booga's.. scrap the radar.. its for blind pussies who are into video games.. forget Garmin etc.. buy a cheap laptop.. a GPS puck and Nimble Navigator.. a WW chart system for less than $150 and your good to go.. unless your a geek..

I used that rig once. However after I retrieved the many pieces of my Sony Vaio after it launched itself across the cabin, I decided something better was in order. For deliveries however my ten year old Garmin 276c the best portable plotter known to mankind is always in my pocket. ( with iphone backup )

Personally today I'd rate a tablet system over a laptop.

Can't agree with you on radar. Your spending too much time in the warn south. When you need radar, you'd write any size cheque !!!

Dave

Old 12-05-2014, 18:45   #13

That Furuno is a real dinosaur amongst the rest of the company. Like 2-3 generations old.

Mark

Old 12-05-2014, 18:47   #14

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That Furuno is a real dinosaur amongst the rest of the company. Like 2-3 generations old.

Mark

I think Defender is trying to push old stock out of their warehouse.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:10   #15

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Re: Starting from Scratch, Which Brand is the way to Go?

On my previous boat I only had an iPhone running Navionics and a laptop with OpenCPN. I still have both of those things, but after having a dedicated chartplotter on the helm that I can see in the sunlight and don't have to worry about getting wet, I think I'm going to pony up for another "real" system.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to investigate the Simrad/B&G stuff.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote