Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 15:41   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Standard Horizon HX870 - First Impressions

If you are UK registered you are supposed to have a separate MMSI for your portable VHF DSC.
From a S/H document... ( there is more info re this on the Ofcom site....)
'UK users of this radio are required to obtain a Ship Portable Radio Licence with an individual UK MMSI number in the range 02359XXXXX irrespective of whether they already have a Ship Radio licence or not.
European Users should check with their local marine regulatory authority in their own country for assistance in obtaining a MMSI number for handheld DSC radio.'

The HX870E lets you input your own MMSI but you only get one shot at it.....
Old 22-07-2016, 19:34   #17

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
If you are UK registered you are supposed to have a separate MMSI for your portable VHF DSC.
'UK users of this radio are required to obtain a Ship Portable Radio Licence with an individual UK MMSI number in the range 02359XXXXX irrespective of whether they already have a Ship Radio licence or not.
European Users should check with their local marine regulatory authority in their own country for assistance in obtaining a MMSI number for handheld DSC radio.'

While I considered using a BoatUs MMSI#, the fact that DSC would work ship to handheld with a common ID was the deciding factor.

I like the little unit. I need to break down and fix my MacBook. Using a keyboard to enter new call #s would better.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:10   #18

If anyone is looking for more info on marine DSC radios, you should check out my new website:
- Marine DSC VHF RadiosMarine DSC VHF Radios | Everything you need to know about DSC radios
CaptNorm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Yes -- and I do have one.

It is supremely easy in the UK, as Ofcom allow you do absolutely everything online and paper-free. Getting the new MMSI takes about two minutes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:17   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The GPS Store www.gpsstore.com has them for $209 minus a $40 rebate, for $169
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 13:00   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bsrnskiel-
"Non programmability of the MMSI is a US specific legal problem."
Yes and no. Apparently the folks at Nautilus (Lifeline VHS) have dealt with this. If your Nautilus unit has an MMSI number programmed into it, and you need to change that? You contact Nautilus, they send you a software upload, and that wipes out the old number and allows you to start from scratch. Proving, it most certainly IS possible.
And they even have specific instructions for how to obtain an MMSI for a unit that is NOT attached to a specific vessel, since their units are designed for "portable" personal use.

Legalities? Damfino, but they're making it work.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:29   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

OK.

Possibly different states have different regulations.

In the EU you buy it and set the first MMSI by yourself. Your challenges start when you want to buy a s/h unit as very few can be reprogrammed in the field (without extended support from their manufacturers).

Not sure why so much over-protection. It should be made more accessible, for vhf and ais units, at least.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 14:55   #23

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
The GPS Store www.gpsstore.com has them for $209 minus a $40 rebate, for $169
I think you meant The GPS Store, Inc. GPS Systems, Marine Electronics
Standard HX870 Handheld VHF with GPS The GPS Store
The $40 rebate offer is still going.

(www.gpsstore.com is another thing entirely)
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 13:40   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A very cool function of this radio!

If you plug the included USB cable into your laptop, and set the radio to output GPS/DSC sentences, OpenCPN finds the port, and gets the data!

An easily accessible source of position data which is completely independent of the boat network. I could get this from the Garmin handheld which I keep in the ditch bag, but this outputs RS422 which would need an adapter.

Cool!
Just got an HX870 for Christmas, very nice unit. I'm trying to get it interfaced to OpenCPN running on a Macbook, and I can't seem to get it to work. Is there some special driver needed? I've been searching the Internet all afternoon, no joy so far. If anyone has successfully hooked up an HX870 to a Mac, I'd appreciate any pointers you may have.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

-David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 16:17   #25

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I received a 870 as well. Being a US boater, should I use the ships MMSI,or get a new number?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 16:27   #26

"... I could get this from the Garmin handheld which I keep in the ditch bag, but this outputs RS422 which would need an adapter..."

RS232, and yes a serial to usb adapter.

BTW If you get a 73 model or a 72H model, I think they also have a USB port.

Amazing that the SH can also be used via usb to a laptop. A big bonus imho. This SH is on my list too.

The driver: try ftdi or prolific. These are two most common. Brookhouse uses a prolific, e.g.

I have noticed a similar spec unit from ICOM, except priced nearly USD 400 at Amazon.

Merry Xmas!

Cheers,
b.
Old 25-12-2016, 16:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I received a 870 as well. Being a US boater, should I use the ships MMSI,or get a new number?

It's my understanding that it should be the ship's MMSI, the one associated with your FCC ship station license.

-David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 25-12-2016, 17:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
"The driver: try ftdi or prolific. These are two most common. Brookhouse uses a prolific, e.g.
I have already tried both the FTDI and Prolific drivers, yet the only choice I get in OpenCPN when configuring a new connection is Bluetooth. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I've never been a big fan of Macs, and this is only confirming my opinion. Yet, it's the machine I have right now, so will make do until I get a whole new box to install in my nav station.

-David
Old 26-12-2016, 07:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I have already tried both the FTDI and Prolific drivers, yet the only choice I get in OpenCPN when configuring a new connection is Bluetooth. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I've never been a big fan of Macs, and this is only confirming my opinion. Yet, it's the machine I have right now, so will make do until I get a whole new box to install in my nav station.

-David
Dave,

Anything connected via a driver to serial comes up on a COM port. You can see what connected and if correctly under (windows) device manager.

I can't say on Mac (there must be something like a 'device manager' there too, no?) but sure US posters can!

b.
Old 26-12-2016, 07:30   #30

---Quote (Originally by barnakiel)---
. . . RS232, and yes a serial to usb adapter.. . .
---End Quote---

The electrical standard for NMEA 0183 is EIA422, which is the same standard as used in RS422 ports. It is only partially compatible with RS232.

--->

Re the above: Not sure there are Garmin handhelds with 422 interface. The ones I have used (12, 72, 76) were 232, I know newer ones (72H, 72H) have 232 serial shared with power (4 pins: pos, neg, sig in, sig out) and usb port. Signal sent over one sig wire and the neg wire. This is 232.

Common 232 to serial cables with ftdi and prolific chips work. Avoid fake chips though.

Cheers,
b.