Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2014, 12:24   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Standard Horizon HX851 Battery Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Dockhead,

Lithium batteries (non rechargeable) are not really high current devices. In fact, they are intended for low current long life operation such as clocks and wireless devices that are not easily accessed. The internal resistance of lithium AAA batteries increases exponentially above about 1A. Thus it's not advisable to use these in high current low duty cycle applications. There are plenty of alkaline batteries with multi-year shelf life available today.
Looks like I wasted my money on all those lithium cells

Great that the battery tray is a viable option for the liferaft. I'm still not crazy about the HX851 but at least it will work. Even a bad DSC handheld could save your butt.

Old 24-03-2014, 13:01   #17

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

This really surprises me. Looking at the data sheets for the Energizer AAA cells, alkaline E92 and lithium L92, the lithium clearly supplies a higher voltage at a 1000 mA drain and for longer than does the alkaline cell. The lithium AAA and AA cells are designed for higher drain applications than the alkalines are intended for.

Now 5 watts from 5 AAA cells would probably require something on the order of 1000 to 1500 mA, and maybe beyond 1000 mA the alkalines paradoxically start performing better than the lithiums, but that would be bizarre and intuitively unlikely. Energizer doesn't supply data for current draws greater than 1000 mA however.

Alkaline AAA data sheet: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E92.pdf
Lithium AAA data sheet: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

I would be curious to find out if this was just a bad battery case or really reflective of what happens when lithium AAA cells are used in an HX851. I have an HX850 and will try the experiment myself when I can restock on AAAs.

Chip

Old 24-03-2014, 13:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Dockhead,
Lithium batteries (non rechargeable) are not really high current devices. In fact, they are intended for low current long life operation such as clocks and wireless devices that are not easily accessed. The internal resistance of lithium AAA batteries increases exponentially above about 1A. Thus it's not advisable to use these in high current low duty cycle applications. There are plenty of alkaline batteries with multi-year shelf life available today.
GOOD TO KNOW ... THANKS FOR THE INFO!

I've just got more 20-year shelf life lithium batteries for my SPOT GPS (as per their recommendation), and thought about buying even more for my other electronics.

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: