Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 15:31   #1

Boat: Hunter, Passage 42
Standard Horizon GX2200 Display problem

I bought the referenced VHF GX2200 radio without having seen it in person. The pictures of the display in the ads looked great and it had all the features I wanted. I installed it, outside in the cockpit, and I cannot read the display easily. It is not at all like the picture. Much dimer than my 15 years old Ray 54 mounted in the same hole.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is mine defective? I adjusted the "dimmer" and contrast and it still is way to dim and unreadable except for the big channel numbers
BBC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:45   #2

Re: Standard Horizon GX2200 Display problem

I have the GX2200 and have the same complaint.

All the advertising pictures make the display look nice and readable.

But mine is so light and washed out I can hardly see it.

I have adjusted the brightness and contrast but no luck.

I am thinking about sending it to the factory to have them look at it while it is still under warranty.

I am NOT happy with the display.
timp4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 06:56   #3

I exchanged emails with a company representative on this issue. He said the pictures on the box were for illustrative purposes only, or something like that. See below.

I have installed it and it is a good radio. I am happy with everything but the screen. The screen is OK except for the AIS screens. I have to get down on my knees in the cockpit to read those screens. (Radio is located on the side cockpit combing on the right side of the wheel installed flush mount.)

Sorry

Brad

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bradley,

Unfortunately it is normal. The LCD on the gift box is simulated which is noted on the front of the gift box just above the right side of the radio.

R. Jason Kennedy

Executive Vice President

Standard Horizon / YAESU Aviation

6125 Phyllis Dr. Cypress, CA 90630

j.kennedy@yaesu.com

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:15 PM
To: Jason Kennedy <j.kennedy@yaesu.com>
Subject: Re: GX2200 Display

Jason

I've done that. It is on high and the contrast is a littler darker than the preset.

So this is normal?

Bradley Cavedo
O: 804-646-5372
C: 804-386-9314

On 1/13/2017 3:59 PM, Jason Kennedy wrote:

Bradley,

You may be able to adjust the contrast to increase the visibility of the text/numbers. Please make sure that you backlight (dimmer in menu) is set to High.

R. Jason Kennedy

Executive Vice President

Standard Horizon / YAESU Aviation

6125 Phyllis Dr. Cypress, CA 90630

j.kennedy@yaesu.com

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:44 PM
To: Jason Kennedy <j.kennedy@yaesu.com>
Subject: GX2200 Display

Thanks for asking me to send photos of the disappointing display on the GX2200.

The pictures tell the story but are not high quality. If you want a higher quality of one or more, just let me know.

There is a tarp over the cockpit, so it is much darker than it will be in season. The GX2200 is not installed yet because I need to make the hole a little larger. The Ray 54 undr the GX2200 is the radio being replaced. It is about 12 years old and I had no issues with its display.

So is this what the GX2200 is supposed to look like or am I doing something wrong? You can see that the display is nothing like the pictures on the box, which is what I was expecting.

Thanks.

--

Bradley

This was taken from my eyes sitting at the wheel looking down at the radio. I will have to get on my knees to read anything other than the channel number or any of the other screens.
Old 27-04-2017, 07:28   #4

This picture shows the box with the display picture and the actual display on the right before installation. (The Ray VHF under the GX2200 is the one being removed.)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1493303222
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	146357  
Old 27-04-2017, 07:36   #5

Hi BBC30.

Yes, Exactly, MUCH more washed out than the advertising would have you believe.

Mine looked like your actual picture at first, but when I turned it on this Spring, it's even worse and almost unreadable.

I just purchased one of the external remote Mic (RAM3) and will probably install it so I have a better view of info that is also shown on the main radio screen.

Hopefully, with a better line of sight, I can read the remote display better than what is on the radio.

I still think I may pull the radio out and send it in for some warranty work.
Old 27-04-2017, 08:08   #6

I put up a post to you before the picture but I think it is under review by the moderator. That post included my emails to the manufacturer's executive vice president where he said the picture on the box is for illustrative purposes only, and this is some small print somewhere on the box that says that.

That post may come through shortly.
Old 27-04-2017, 08:32   #7

I figured.

Ever pay attention to the pictures of the Burgers from all the burger joints, and then look at what is in the package.

No resemblance.......
Old 27-04-2017, 09:38   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Are you sure you have set up the screen allright?

For comparison GX2100 - one image fully lit, the other no backlight - both taken in daylight conditions (no direct sunlight).

Other than some baud gimmicks, the two units look identical.

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2100_fully_lit.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	146359   Click image for larger version

Name:	2100_no_backlight.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	146360  

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 09:43   #9

Well, in case that other post does not come through, I will tell you what it said. I like the GX2200. It has great features and works much better than my old Ray 54. (The Ray 54 had started changing channels on its own and would only broadcast at 25 watts when engine was running; otherwise it would automatically go down to 1 watt. It had also stopped receiving GPS data from my GPS unit.)

The GX2200 screen is bright enough for radio use. For AIS, I have to get on my knees to see the screens straight on. It is a bother. Wouldn't have to do that if the screen was like that in the pictures on the box. My mistake was buying it having not seen it in person. And I will bet that in a year or two they will have the same radio with a better screen.

But I like the radio!
Old 27-04-2017, 09:46   #10

I have tried every setting that there is on the 2200 for the screen and what you see in the picture is what it is. My settings were confirmed by the executive VP of Standard Horizon.

However, I have not been able to make the 2200 look like your picture on the right. I have brightness and contrast settings. My memory is that unless the brightness was on full bright, you couldn't see anything. I would be happy if mine looked like your right side picture.

I will do some more fiddling this weekend. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Are you sure you have set up the screen allright?

For comparison GX2100 - one image fully lit, the other no backlight - both taken in daylight conditions (no direct sunlight).

Other than some baud gimmicks, the two units look identical.

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-04-2017, 13:26   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC30 View Post

And I will bet that in a year or two they will have the same radio with a better screen.
They already do.

GH6000 & GX6500 have been available for a time now, I think since about January.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 14:20   #12

Yes, I was aware of the GX6000 before I purchased, but it is too big for the existing flush-mount hole.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28   #13

The normal display on the GX2200 should be easily readable from nearly any viewing angle while at the helm. Never had a problem reading mine until this season. My GX2200 made it through 2 seasons and the display failed. Totally unreadable now unless you do the hands and knees trick. Same problem as others have stated. Don't buy a standard horizon if your thinking about buying a new radio. Should have gone with my gut and purchased the Icom.
SandaleIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 20:16   #14

Did you find a solution to the problem of the display screen being too faint to read or even edit any of the settings?
Mermur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 06:59   #15

No I did not. But the purchase the next year of a Garmin GPSMAP 942 and the connection of the VHF radio to it through NMEA 0183 fixed my issues. Now all of the AIS data appear on the Garmin screen and it is fantastic. The channel numbers on the radio are big enough to see and that is really all I need to see now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermur View Post
Did you find a solution to the problem of the display screen being too faint to read or even edit any of the settings?