Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2013, 19:43   #1

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Standard Horizon GX2150 reviews

Anyone have experience with this? How are they?

Old 20-10-2013, 20:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Just installed one three weeks ago. I'm pleased so far, but haven't used it anywhere yet where I'm not saturated with vessels. The CPA and TCPA alarms do work well. My only complaint is the small number of contacts it can display, but once away from the marinas this isn't a problem.

Old 20-10-2013, 20:20   #3

Boat: Tartan 33
Installed one about six months ago. Like everything about the 2150. But there are issues getting the Garmin 440s to work with it. Looks like the 440 is not fully NMEA 0183 compliant. I can get the GPS fix to flow to the 2150, but the 440 looses slow targets from the 2150.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 20:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I installed one on the bridge and the Ram mic at the lower helm. It works great for what I need on the river, names of tows or large passenger boats like the American Queen. Being able to hail them by name if I have any doubt about how to pass makes me feel better than hailing "the southbound tow above south fritz island" or using reference to a mile marker that I've passed or coming up on. If I get caught out in fog it is another source of information with the radar & VHF to remain safe, still have to be alert to the bass & jonboats.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:57   #5

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Re: Standard Horizon GX2150 reviews

Good info, thanks folks!
Old 21-10-2013, 09:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have had one for 2 years now. It is one of our favorite pieces of equipment on the boat. The DSC calling features are intuitive and human friendly. Seeing what our Icom friends go through to place DSC calls and use its storage abilities makes us understand why they never use DSC. The ability to simply highlight a ship on the AIS page and push call is fantastic. Having a real "phone book" that uses actual names and not numbers is great. Being able to send calls directly into the phone book is great.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 09:13   #7

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

We installed one with the remote mic and love it! The best feature of all is that you don't need a separate antennae or splitter for it. AIS display is simple and easy to use.
Old 21-10-2013, 09:42   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan 452
I have owned one for a couple of years now. I have the base at the nav station with the RAM mic in the cockpit. The AIS is tied into my Raymarine MFD and I have the PA horn mounted on the mizzen mast.

The radio is good, and fairly intuitive. It took a bit to get the AIS tied into the MFD, but once that was done, it has been no problem. The PA function is nice as a foghorn, but doesn't really work well as a primary horn. I love the RAM mic, especially the ability to control all functions. I wish there was a way to tell the AIS alarm not to alert on certain contacts, but you can't have everything.
Old 21-10-2013, 11:08   #9

Boat: Moccasins and pony
I like mine too. Only one way communication with the Garmin 492, sending position data to the 2150. I have used the alarms some, but mostly pay attention to the display. Seems like I had trouble hearing the alarm over the engine before, and I also have the RAM mic in the cockpit. It has added a lot of safety and function for the price.

I'm resolved to get a transponder at some point, but for now this VHF gets me by. Wish I could get it on the chart plotter.

I would like to add a loud hailer mostly for a foghorn. Not sure what doesn't work so well with that?
Old 21-10-2013, 11:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan 452
Actually, it works very well as a foghorn, especially if you need to sound the horn repeatedly. What I meant was that it didn't work well for "regular" horn uses. For example, one blast or two blast passing signals, a prolonged blast at blind corners and the five blast danger signal. It's OK if you are already in PA horn mode, but if you need the horn in a hurry, it's significantly faster to grab a compressed air horn than to try to change from radio mode to PA mode.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:09   #11

Thanks for the reviews. This is timely, as we've got the GX2150 on order, and this continues the positive feedback seen so far.

Have a Raymarine C120 which has the SeaTalk box for depth wind etc. I take it that the SeaTalk acts as a multiplex'er? Tips?
Old 21-10-2013, 12:39   #12
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm just waiting for a Standard integrated VHF and AIS transceiver , can't understand the delay.

Dave
Old 21-10-2013, 12:52   #13

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFrankM View Post
Actually, it works very well as a foghorn, especially if you need to sound the horn repeatedly. What I meant was that it didn't work well for "regular" horn uses. For example, one blast or two blast passing signals, a prolonged blast at blind corners and the five blast danger signal. It's OK if you are already in PA horn mode, but if you need the horn in a hurry, it's significantly faster to grab a compressed air horn than to try to change from radio mode to PA mode.
Thx for clarifying. I would like to have the use of a horn for signaling in some situations, but I can't say I use the one I've got at all now. Glad the foghorn function works. Where to mount... Mizzenmasts are handy for mounting stuff, I don't have one if those.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:54   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm just waiting for a Standard integrated VHF and AIS transceiver , can't understand the delay.

Dave
I agree. This is the most logical way to integrate VHF and IAS. One PA and one LNA would be shared (multiplexed) for voice/IAS. No issues with losses from splitters. One antenna. Seamless integration between the two. I can't see why there isn't at least one example of this from every VHF manufacturer. There must be some kind of regulatory hurdle.
Old 21-10-2013, 13:34   #15

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I like mine too.
I'm resolved to get a transponder at some point, but for now this VHF gets me by. Wish I could get it on the chart plotter.
Here in the UK I have a SH GX2100E working with my SH 300i plotter for the AIS and very pleased with it.

Like you 'may' add a transponder to it at a later date, but have you looked at 'what transponder' and how would you link it in?

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: