Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-07-2006, 11:32   #1

Boat: Seafarer, Challanger, 23'
Standard Horizon equipment

Hello, I am a new sail boat owner, hopefully a sailor soon (still don't have the vessel in the water). I am currently just finishing up stripping all the old bottom sealers and paints off the boat and am applying 6 coats of the West System followed up by a coat of bottom pro from West Marine. I have a Standard Horizon Speed/Log (digital) on board and the sensor is broken. When I called Standard Horizon they informed me (not very nicely) that they don't deal with models that are that old any more. Finally to the question, with all the technology available (GPS, ect..) do I really need a speed/log indicator on board? If so should I try and find a used sensor or just bite the bullet and buy a new model that will hopefully install in the same opening in the hull of the boat? Thanks for all you help in this process!!
seafarer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 11:42   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
with all the technology available (GPS, ect..) do I really need a speed/log indicator on board?
I personal choice.

I don't have one.

GSP gives me the Ground Speed I need for accurate navigation.

I calibrated my boat in calm water (No current) some years ago, I "know" that when the engine is running @ 1800 RPM, I get 4.8 knots, @ 2100 RPM, 5.2 knots , 2400 RPM, 5.6 knots, etc, etc.

Under sail a speed log could be useful for sail trim and stuff, but when ya learn to know the boat and how to sail her, you can tell when a sail angle or a trim configuration makes the boat go faster, or if it slows it down.

Others may disagree on the above, but it works for me: No speed log..
Old 25-07-2006, 11:56   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hi Seafarer,
If your GPS is working and not consuming too much power then your speed log is not needed but they certainly are fun to look at when you're trying to go faster.
Is the sending unit a paddle wheel? Some sending units are compatible with other brands of receivers.
You might be able to get sending units or whole packages on eBay for little cost especially with older units.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The sender unit is not made by Standard. It is Airmar and they have a xref guide that may help.
www.airmartechnology.com/xref/default.asp

I haven't looked, but if you can't find it there, then yell and I will find you the part number. I have one on these units as well.

I would go without my speed/log. I use it for fine tuning my water speed to engine revs for fule saving. I use it for calculating differences inn Speed over ground against speed through water, it links to much of the rest of my gear and works out xtrack error and other such important things. If you have a GPS linked to Autopilot, you need water speed, wind speed, wind direction all tied in. If you don't have that, it isn't really important than just your own interest sake.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 15:09   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
An accurate log (as opposed to a GPS speed reading) is really most useful if you are racing...i.e. where fractions of a knot in speed are important. Your GPS speed is over the bottom and therefore doesn't take into acount tide/current, whereas your log is speed through the water. When you are racing, it is important to be able to see immediately how small changes in sail trim are affecting boat speed.

If you are cruising, speed is less critical, so perhaps a speed/log is less important. However, if your GPS should ever fail, it is nice to have the speed/log there as a backup...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 15:13   #6

Quote:
if your GPS should ever fail, it is nice to have the speed/log there as a backup...
A couple of back-up GPS receivers will do the same trick...
Old 25-07-2006, 16:19   #7

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
or you could just carry along a chip log
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 16:20   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
On my Raymarine equipment, the chartplotter uses the speed log to determine current speed. It's kinda cool.

When my GPS went down, actually the annometer went and cause the buss to stop sending data, but it looked like the GPS was down, we used dead recogning to find our way. Sailed on for several hours doing it the older fashioned way. No problems. Not having a speed log would have made it more difficult.

Your choice.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 16:46   #9

Quote:
or you could just carry along a chip log
Like throwing wood chips overboard and timing the distance...?

Yeah, that would work, but a $99.00 hand held GPS may be just as good, and work better in the dark...
Old 25-07-2006, 17:53   #10
Kai Nui

The only speed log I have ever had that worked more than it didn't was a traditional old knot log. All of the fancy paddlewheel, electronic gadget type logs failed. All for different reasons. None effected my navigation, as I usually use the GPS anyway, but you can develop a good amount of accuracy in practice determining your speed, and to carry an old knot log as a back-up if the GPS fails should solve the problem.