Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2007, 07:13   #1

Boat: tornado 8,5 2 x 150 hp 4 stroke
Angry Standard horizon CP1000c condensation problem

I m the equipment officer of a small dive club in Dublin Ireland. we bought a Standard Horizon CP1000C.the unit has been a problem very soon after being installed. a lot of condensation appears behind the screen and stays there. viewing the display becomes difficult to impossible. the unit was sent back to the dealer who sent it back to Standard horizon. re-launched the boat last week-end after refitting the unit SAME PROBLEM.!!!! At £1,600.00 for the unit we expected better!!
contacted dealer who tells me this is common on large displays. we had a lowrance unit on the previous boat never had a problem with it.
can anyone tell me it similar problems have occurred on a Standard Horizon CP1000C to others or is it that our unit is faulty and should be replaced?
in advance thank you
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Came across this comment from another website:

”I have been through two of them. They have a tendency to fog or condensate. Which plays havoc on the electronics. Other than that they work well. Standard are supposedly fixing the condensation problem for me now. The first one lasted about three years before the condensation killed it. Standard assures me that they have solved the problem on the newer units by drilling a hole in the back of the plotter for more air flow. WE WILL SEE!! Very user friendly and lots of good functions. They also have stood by their product and shipped me a new unit as soon as it died.”

From the SH website: “The CP1000C was designed from the ground up to take the punishment of the marine environment and is "BACKED BY A 3 YEAR WATERPROOF WARRANTY!"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:27   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stephanie, I can't speak for SH in Ireland but their US operation has very good customer service. I would contact them directly--skip the distributor--and let them know your experience with the product is not satisfactory. In this day and age, sealed displays are common and condensation should not be acceptable.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 03:16   #4

Boat: tornado 8,5 2 x 150 hp 4 stroke
thanks for your reply but drilling holes in a unit is not a good idea. eventually the corosion due to salt will end up on circuit boards and switches, soon after that the unit will die.these units are supposed to be sealed and back filled with a neutral gas like argon, the facgt that they condensate would suggest that the last part of the process is not being applied.
Our unit is mounted on a 8,5 m open RIB, we selected the unit based on the dealer's advise and a 3 year warranty advertised on the product. we were going to buy a garmin 3110C but at the time the production of the units was delayed and our new dive RIB and club members could not wait any longer. So we went with a product we had not heared of, trust the manufacter's claim. Maybe THAT was our mistake!!!
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation