Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 09:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
ST70 constant reboot without starting up

A couple of months ago, one of my ST70s started constantly rebooting without starting up. It goes from the ST70 Raymarine graphic to a black screen then back, etc. I tried some troubleshooting and talked with Raymarine support. (Holding the start button will not make it turn off, it still goes through that cycle no matter what.) Raymarine finally said to mail it in, they will take a look, tell me how much it would cost to fix it, fix it, and mail it back. I'm not in the states so this process is not a good option. They didn't really have me do much at all. I'm wondering if anyone else has resolved this issue. I've recently had a 2nd one start doing the same thing. I have another that is still working and also the autopilot one is still working. The chart plotter is also still working. Thank you in advance for any help.
heavenlyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 22:53   #2

Re: ST70 constant reboot without starting up

I have 3 of those on my boat. Within 3 weeks of installation 2 had failed, but the symptoms were a bit different. As I remember they froze and then went to an error screen. After a full refit on my sailboat I am not happy with the Raymarine products. The first cruise after the refit was nothing more than a tour of Raymarine repair centers. One of the repair men did suggest watching the voltage on the backbone and all said I had way too many failures. They got fixed by replacement but it's not reassuring when you have the failure rates I have. My suggestion is to call the closest factory repair center and see if they have had similar failures or can suggest the cause which could be addressed. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MMandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 02:53   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Have you pulled the power from it? Give it 10 mins before powering up again.

May be worth also disconnecting it from the backbone as well.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 04:24   #4

Boat: Victoire 1122

Saw the same on a friends boat. I think the ST70 is not a product line that makes Raymarine proud. They are very energy inefficient and like you say die not very gracefully. My friend ended up buying a next generation instrument. On the positive side you can swap them very easy.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 05:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, flower.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:27   #6

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Try pulling the cards& connectors & cleaning the contacts. As I recall my friends unit was getting power but not all signal when this ocurred to him a couple weeks ago.
TommmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:53   #7

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Welcome HF,
http://www.raymarine.com.au/knowledg....cfm?view=3795

from the Raymarine website
Find Answers
Ask Raymarine

Raymarine FAQ Knowledge Base
The Raymarine Knowledge Base provides answers to frequently asked questions.

Enter the term(s) you'd like to search for in the Knowledge Base (e.g. "GPS sensor").You can use AND, OR, NOT, and parentheses. Surround an exact phrase with quotation marks.

Search results will appear below.

Factory Reset procedure for a Multifunction Display
If you are experiencing problems with your A50, A50D, A57, A57D, A70, or A70D, C70, C80, C120 C-Series Classic Multifunciton Display (MFD), E80 or E120 MFD, then performing a Factory Reset may restore operation of the display. The procedure for performing a Factory Reset follows:

1. IMPORTANT: Back Up your waypoints, routes, and tracks to a CF memory card before the Factory Reset.
When a Factory Reset is performed, the action will cause all waypoints, routes, tracks to be erased from the MFD’s memory. Doing so will additionally cause all configuration settings to be restored to the factory default settings. As such, it is recommended that all waypoints, routes, and tracks be archived to a CF memory card prior to resetting the MFD. Please see Answer #1145, Backing up waypoint, routes and tracks on C and E-Series for complete instructions. Following the Factory Reset operation, the waypoints, routes, and tracks may be retrieved from the archive file saved on the CF memory card. It may also be advisable to note any configuration settings that you have modified in order that the display may be reconfigured with these settings after the Factory Reset operation.

2. Reset the display.
If your MFD's menus are accessible, use the “Settings and Data Reset” feature:
Press the MENU key, then scroll down to the "System Setup" option, and toggle the track pad right.
Scroll down to the "Settings and Data Reset" option and toggle the track pad right.
Under the word "Factory Reset?" press the softkey corresponding to YES. The display will restart momentarily.
The display should reboot into normal operating mode.

The above option probably not for you

If your MFD's menus are not accessible, perform use the Power On Reset feature:
Press and hold down the first soft key (next to the power button.)
Keep holding the soft key down while the display reboots. A "Factory Reset" countdown will be displayed. Keep holding the first soft key until the countdown is complete.
The display should reboot into normal operating mode.
Once your display has returned to normal operation you should check its operating software version, and upgrade to the latest version (if applicable). The currently installed version of software is specified within the “Navigational Warning” or “Limitations On Use” dialogs which must be acknowledged each time that the C-Series and E-Series MFDs respectively are powered on. Please refer to the following answers for more information on software updates:
Answer #1037, Latest software for C-Series (C70, C80, C120)
Answer #1174, Latest software for E-Series (E80, E120)
Answer #1449, Latest software for A-Series (A50, A50D, A57, A57D, A70, A70D)
If neither of these procedures solves your issue, please seek assistance from your local Raymarine Service Agent or the nearest Raymarine Factory Service Center.
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote