Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 20:05   #1

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
ST6001+ Gives NO PILOT and / or STLK FAIL

My ST6001+ is connected to a Type 100 course computer. I get the NO PILOT and STLK FAIL error messages very intermittently and unpredictably. Some does it will work flawlessly all day and other times it will give the errors every 5 minutes. it usually fixes itself after a few minutes. Sometime when it fixes it self it comes back on the response level data page. This last bit makes me think that the error might with the ST6001+ (control head) and not the course computer. I've already replaced the seatalk cable between the control head and the computer and this has not fixed the issue. The control head is powered over the seatalk cable to the issue is not power to the course computer.

Does anyone know of a way to pinpoint the failing component ? Thanks

-tavis
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 21:51   #2

Boat: Swan 56
A couple of things I'd check:
Power supply good? - separate supply is best

You've replaced the control head / course computer seatalk, but what about the other wiring - to drive unit etc? all good?

Once you are certain it's not a wiring issue, then try:

Press one of the red buttons when you get the error messages again. If there is a "beep" sound it's more likely to be the course computer at fault. If no beep, more likely to be the control head.

My money is on a wiring issue
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:11   #3

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
Fixed

The problem was that the ST60 instrument was daisy chained to the ST6001. When I ran a dedicated seatalk cable from the ST60 to the course computer the problems went away completely.

Too bad I spend over $1000 replacing every component only to find that it was a 6 inch cable that was causing the problem.

-tavis
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've got an X5 with a 6002 control head and it does the same thing. Swapping out the compass got it to work for a number of weeks than the dreaded, 'No Pilot' failure signal returned very intermittantly. It's always fixed itself but it's frustrating when you want/need the A/P and it won't work. Just recently finished a 15 day transpac and it worked fine for the intermittant use on the trip. Maybe 3 days use on a mostly off basis but it worked everytime we turned it on. It gave me the dreaded 'No Comp' warning the evening before I left, however but was ready to go the morning of my departure.

I talked with a Raymarine tech and he seemed to feel it was the ST6002 control head that was the problem though don't know why he was thinking that way. I did not get a 'No Compass' error message ever, just changed out the compass because it was the one that had beeb working fine on the old ST4000+ pilot. Changed the compass just because one came with the new system. I'd not changed it at first because the compass located in a very incovenient place to get to.

Let us know if you find a cause for your problem. I like the x5 pilot a lot better than the 4001 but would like to permanently get rid of the 'No Pilot' nemisis.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote