Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 21:02   #1

Boat: LAGOON 440
ST5000+ - MISSING USER FUNCTION?

Hi All,
I have searched the Forum for earlier posts about this issue, but was unable to find any - hence a new thread.

I did some work on my steering system, and on finishing thought that I would run the "Dockside Rudder Calibration" to check that everything was still properly calibrated. My manual tells me that the calibration can be done under "User Setup", and that when scrolling through the setup options, it comes between "Bar Selection" and "Data Pages". However, when I attempted to start the calibration, scrolling through the setup options takes me directly from "Bar Selection" to "Data Pages" - the "Dockside Rudder Calibration" is not showing up.

The boat has a Rudder Reference Unit.

If anyone is able to shed some light on this apparently missing User Setup function, then I'd be very appreciative.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 20:05   #2

Re: ST5000+ - MISSING USER FUNCTION?

Greetings... I have the same problem. Did you find an answer to this issue that you can share? Thanks, John.
lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 20:55   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I can't directy help but just maybe the following might be slightly helpful.

A year back or so, I got a new ST2000+ and it would not let me run the compass calibration function. By then, I was along way away from the dealer where I bought it so returning it was a difficult option.

A long google search proved unhelpful but I finally found a way to reboot the software, not just power down and power up, rather to load it with ST1000 software and then reload it back to ST2000+
software. It then allowed me to access the compass calibration functions.

It turned out that it was running with the ST800 software out of the box and the 800 does not have the compass calibration feature. Clearly a manufacturing error.

All this was achieved with pushing buttons on the unit, no external device required.

Maybe the ST5000+ can bebooted the same way?
Might help....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 06:52   #4

Thanks WOTNAME. I will look into that angle.
lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:34   #5

Boat: LAGOON 440

Hi Lancer,
Apologies for the tardy response - there was something I wanted to check out before posting a response.
The short answer is no, I never did resolve the issue. Given that my steering was not giving me any problems, I let my attempts to check my rudder calibration go, and moved on to other things.
However, I have now realised that although the auto pilot at my helm station is a ST5000 Plus unit, and that the repeater auto pilot located at my navigation station inside the boat is a ST6001+. The units are interconnected.
The ST6001+ does not provide for a rudder calibration procedure in the same way as the ST5000 Plus. Instead (under the Dealer Calibration option) it provides for the user to align the rudder position sensor (by having the user centralise the rudder, and then adjusting the display bar on the display to show a centralised rudder), and then setting the rudder limits (by turning the rudder to its full limits and then setting the limits on the display).
My conclusion is that the ST6001+ unit has over-ridden the ST5000 Plus unit (master and slave?), and that this is the reason that the Dockside Rudder Calibration Procedure is missing from my ST5000 Plus.
Although not providing a definitive answer, I hope that this might help you work out what is happening with your ST5000 Plus. Good luck.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun