Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 13:15   #1

Boat: J/88
St40 doesn't work like it has no power....

...but the other instruments connected by sea talk do work. I don't know much but I think sea talk provides the power to the display. Currently some pop has removed the sea talk cable from the display but when I plug it back in the other instruments don't work citing a sea talk failure.

Does this mean I need a new display? Am I correct in assuming the 12v power comes in from the sea talk cable? Any idea where to start to diagnose the issue?

I have a c40 bidata, a st 6002 autopilot, and a c80 chart plotter that all work fine when the wind instrument is unplugged but do not work properly when it is plugged in. The wind display shows nothing but the circle with the bow in it when plugged in and when not, no change?

Thanks, Dan
Old 25-09-2016, 16:41   #2

Re: St40 doesn't work like it has no power....

The 12v is on the red and sheid. The yellow is seatalk. Pull the cable out and measure for 12v at the connector. Sounds like it could be your screen.

If you have a seatalk cable with lose wires on one end (as opposed to all factory ends). Then Connect a cable to the screen with only red and sheild, no yellow. And see if it turns on.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 03:39   #3

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try. Are you saying that I can see the colours by looking at the connector?

I did notice that there was a depth on the bidata that seemed too much but then when we got out I could only see 3.5 ft and occasionally 3.6 feet where I am sure there was over 10'.

Thanks again for the suggestion,

Dan
Old 26-09-2016, 05:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
The 12v is on the red and sheid. The yellow is seatalk. Pull the cable out and measure for 12v at the connector. Sounds like it could be your screen.

If you have a seatalk cable with lose wires on one end (as opposed to all factory ends). Then Connect a cable to the screen with only red and sheild, no yellow. And see if it turns on.
Smac, As you can see in the picture there is a red and blue wire connected, is this the red you are talking about or should I be able to see colors in the seatalk cable end? What do you mean by shield, is this like coaxial with a shield around the wire? This seatalk cable comes from a taped up end with another seatalk cable going to the bidata and another one going somewhere else (didn't get a chance to trace it) and a loop of wire with a fuse in it going back into the bundle. Very confusing!
Having looked at the pictures now I can see where the bidata showed 11.4 feet in the slip where there was probably only 6 or 7 feet and then 3.5 ft out in the lake where there was certainly more than 15 feet of water.

I brought home the manuals so I hope I can make some sense of them.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	131786  
Old 27-09-2016, 17:27   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

The red/blue cable comes from the depth sensor itself. The SeaTalk cable is the triple connector to the left. The pinout is described here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-97408.html
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 07:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
The red/blue cable comes from the depth sensor itself. The SeaTalk cable is the triple connector to the left. The pinout is described here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-97408.html
Thanks Everybody, I tested again last night and have power 13.4V at the display and it is completely dead plus it shuts everything else on the Seatalk bus down when I plug it in. I will need to buy a new display and then decide if I want to upgrade the whole thing.
My dealer tells me the i40 will work in place of this unit, any advice? Is it better than the ST40 and less likely to fail again? If so I might go that route as I otherwise need to buy a used unit with no real guarantee it will work.

Dan