Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 06:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
SSB Tranceiver- Antenna Options?

The accepted antenna for ssb traceivers is usually the insulated backstay.

Question is is that the only option.....replace the original, perfectly serviceable backstay with an insulated one? Is there no cheaper simpler way that functions adequately?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: SSB Tranceiver- Antenna Options?

One easy solution is to just cut in a swageless insulator using the existing back stay.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13   #3

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Install a secondary backstay to one of the corners
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

You could run a parallel antenna set off the backstay. There are commercial adaptations of that, one of which is called a Gap or Gam antenna (forgot which) but anyone could easily make a better constructed version for far less money. There are a myriad of alternatives from temporary wires pulled up on a halyard to separate wires strung along shrouds; each has it's followers but the point being there is no "best" option.

For permanent installations, the insulated backstay is the traditional favorite for obvious reasons.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There are other options, it possible to use the backstay uninsulated, try a google search of CF, there is a lot of info here.

I am sorry but I don't have time to go into details tonight and I am away for a few days. Hopefully some of the resident HF experts will tune in or at least point to the relevant threads.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28   #6
Eternal Member

Asked and answered dozens of times on this and other Boards.

Search "alternate backstay antenna".

Here's one way to make them:

DSC_0343ps

Use insulated s/s lifeline .... 3/16" diameter s/s is sufficient. Hoist with spare halyard or dedicated line. Tie off to pushpit on either side.

Feed with GTO-15 wire from the tuner located under the deck. Use any of several RF grounds.

Here are other marine antenna options:

MarineAntennaChoices2

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

What about a rod? No good?

http://www.comrod.com/getfile.php/Ut...AT73TS23_2.pdf

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39   #8
Eternal Member

Sure, that'll work. It's just a 23' long whip antenna, similar to those made by Shakespeare and very common on power boats.

You still need a tuner, of course, and a good RF ground system.

Bill
Old 07-10-2011, 15:26   #9

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Sure, that'll work. It's just a 23' long whip antenna, similar to those made by Shakespeare and very common on power boats.

You still need a tuner, of course, and a good RF ground system.

Bill
Thanks everyone, Bill, the 23' whip antenna has been sugested to me( still there despite rig failure). Question is how to attach to stern of 42' sailboat, 23' long sounds huge! Could double as a flag pole I suppose?

As these antennas are usually on the side of powerboat flybridges would it not be a little low location on a yacht at deck height for receive/transmission?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 15:33   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
Thanks everyone, Bill, the 23' whip antenna has been sugested to me( still there despite rig failure). Question is how to attach to stern of 42' sailboat, 23' long sounds huge! Could double as a flag pole I suppose?

As these antennas are usually on the side of powerboat flybridges would it not be a little low location on a yacht at deck height for receive/transmission?
I think what you see on power boats will be outrigs - rods to fish deep sea game things, etc.. No reason to have a 23' on a power boat unless they too have a ham.

23' whip for SSB is a long stick but I have seen them on boats even smaller than 40'. All issue of deck layout. The whip does not have to be attached to the deck. It can be sitting on the rail, etc, it is quite light but sure thing must be attached adequately. The cable will be thick and stiff so make sure there is a way to lead it to the tuner and then on to the radio.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 15:54   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Will there is a perfectly good reason to have a 23' on a power boat, The Trawler Beach House: Is It Hard To Install A Single Side Band Radio? , to have a good rig. It does not matter whether it is SSB or Ham. But I can not imagine this thing hanging on the stern rail. I suppose if it where hung and supported along the backstay, that could be an option. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 16:24   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:

On a Catalina 42 I'd not install a vertical whip antenna, unless absolutely necessary, for the very reason you mentioned. It IS huge, unwieldy, and somewhat of a challenge to mount correctly. Instead, I'd use an alternate backstay antenna as described above. Or, bite the bullet and insulate the backstay.

Vertical antennas for SSB work best when they're mounted low down, near the deck, rather than high up like a VHF antenna.

Bill
Old 07-10-2011, 17:03   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
On a Catalina 42 I'd not install a vertical whip antenna, unless absolutely necessary, for the very reason you mentioned. It IS huge, unwieldy, and somewhat of a challenge to mount correctly. Instead, I'd use an alternate backstay antenna as described above. Or, bite the bullet and insulate the backstay.

Vertical antennas for SSB work best when they're mounted low down, near the deck, rather than high up like a VHF antenna.

Bill
I have to agree with both of you however for a vertical whip, perhaps the 18 series Moonraker antennas may be an option; especially the deck mounted 18D. Its 18' of course and designed for deck mounting on yachts.

See moonraker australia communications systems
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:05   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why not an antenna hauled up mast by a halyard---not gonna use a spinny halyard all the time, o r add an extra one if you are----if your mast is down=-- go for it-- that way ye can remove it and /or keep it--would that work ?? and ye can place it wherever you want--along a stay, alone, along the mast, wherever........ye think???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb